Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 02:49   #61

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Registering a yacht in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
A hard earned thirst, needs a good cold beer and the best cold beer is Vic, Victoria Bitter! (Great ad )
Yes it was a good add. But our beer is made from 100% pure Tasmanian water. It makes things better. All things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	110741  
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:46   #62

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yes it was a good add. But our beer is made from 100% pure Tasmanian water. It makes things better. All things.
No doubt my rellies down in Nubeena would agree with you there.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 20:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
...and when within the State to which the home port belongs for less than 3 months...a foreign vessel? Seems odd.
This covers the case of the AMSA registered cruising yacht in transit through its home state with expired state registration - say, after circumnavigating or travelling abroad - and also avoids the silliness in NSW where, currently, no Australia registered yacht can enter state waters without also having state registration, even if based in the NT.

Marine Rescue Sydney always get totally flustered when a reporting yacht doesn't have a local registration number and quotes their Australian registration.

Quote:
...and for those (perhaps majority of?) vessels who never leave their home State? Presumably still just State registration for them?
Exactly.

Quote:
Fair enuf in NZ, but in OZ with all the States' registration systems, the whole name protection thing disappears as its currently administered. Only the Aust Register of Ships seems to be concerned with name protection...at least as we understand the system!
Yeah, it doesn't work here. Then again a yacht registered in any other country could also have the same name.

Quote:
Call us emotional perhaps, but we kinda like the Aus flag proudly flying on CatNirvana's stern...and that (along with making our small contributions to maritime administration in our beautiful waters) is enough incentive for us!
Fair enough.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 10-10-2015, 20:55   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sometimes I am so sadly misinformed I could cry. It turns out my rego is a bit under $400 and I could register the tender for less than $20. I don't know how I got it in my head that the tender would be a couple of hundred but I am now kicking myself for not registering it straight away. I suspect the initial rego cost is the hard part as I will need a HIN number and having that fitted to the tender will cost more than the dear old thing is actually worth. Still, the main thing here is to correct my misinformation before someone believes me.
From my reading of the SA Transport site a rowboat isn't required to be registered at all. Generally tenders are exempt in most states too, in some cases even if they have a small engine attached.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...ng-a-motorboat

Another example of the wide variety of rules and regulations which were only considered in the context of local boat users when they were enacted.

Old 10-10-2015, 21:20   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
For what it's worth, I was quite happy to leave NZ with its very restrictive cat 1 requirements for any NZ registered boats going overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Academic but I would choose Aust flag before NZ flag simply because of the Cat 1 business.
I agree that's pretty strict, but the NZ government has a lot of territory to cover with very limited resources. But when you look at the list of requirements some of them are clearly stupid.

Examples:

Three fire extinguishers, radar reflector, three GPSes, certified life raft. They clearly need to distinguish between the requirements of cruising yachts and racing yachts.

I'm sure it will change in time.

As stated earlier though it would be a reasonable flag if you were not intending to visit NZ, or if you were intending to take a yacht to NZ permanently. Certainly a lot easier than getting on the Australian General Register, which some here claim can take up to a year.

Old 12-10-2015, 13:23   #66

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
From my reading of the SA Transport site a rowboat isn't required to be registered at all. Generally tenders are exempt in most states too, in some cases even if they have a small engine attached.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...ng-a-motorboat

Another example of the wide variety of rules and regulations which were only considered in the context of local boat users when they were enacted.
Thanks for the link Haiqu. I've read and re-read that page, and as far as I can tell, as soon as I put the 3.5hp outboard on the back of the tender, I need to register it. So, in preparation I brought the tender home on Sunday and it is now sitting on the trailer waiting for me to make a couple of phone calls today to organise a HIN number so that I can register it. Seems crazy, and like you say, so variable between states.

Matt
Old 12-10-2015, 15:02   #67

Quote:
Thanks for the link Haiqu. I've read and re-read that page, and as far as I can tell, as soon as I put the 3.5hp outboard on the back of the tender, I need to register it. So, in preparation I brought the tender home on Sunday and it is now sitting on the trailer waiting for me to make a couple of phone calls today to organise a HIN number so that I can register it. Seems crazy, and like you say, so variable between states.

Matt
That sucks.. reading through all that crap it looks like SA treats boats almost as strict as cars.
Old 12-10-2015, 16:34   #68

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
That sucks.. reading through all that crap it looks like SA treats boats almost as strict as cars.
But unlike cars you don't get much for your money. At least in Tassie your car rego gives you basic medical, death and injury liability insurance.

This cuts you car insurance costs considerably.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-10-2015, 16:41   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
But unlike cars you don't get much for your money. At least in Tassie your car rego gives you basic medical, death and injury liability insurance.

This cuts you car insurance costs considerably.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I thought MAIB insurance was compulsary all over Australia?
Old 12-10-2015, 17:58   #70

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

About state rego trumps ASMA rego thing. True in all states except Victoria apparently. Friend of mine built his 34' boat and registered with Aus shipping, it sits in Victorian waters and Victorian registration is not needed. Lucky bloke..

We have Aus shipping registration because we do plan to head OS, we've cruised through 4 states, now we've stopped in NSW for over 3 months, Maritime guys put the word on us, now we're NSW registered too
Old 12-10-2015, 18:50   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
About state rego trumps ASMA rego thing. True in all states except Victoria apparently. Friend of mine built his 34' boat and registered with Aus shipping, it sits in Victorian waters and Victorian registration is not needed. Lucky bloke..

We have Aus shipping registration because we do plan to head OS, we've cruised through 4 states, now we've stopped in NSW for over 3 months, Maritime guys put the word on us, now we're NSW registered too

State registration doesn't 'trump AMSA rego thing'.. They are two entirely different things.

If there is an exemption in Victoria for AMSA registered recreational vessels then that exemption has been made by the Safety Director under the states Marine Safety Act. Which there could be, but I'd have my doubts.
Old 12-10-2015, 19:17   #72

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
State registration doesn't 'trump AMSA rego thing'.. They are two entirely different things.
..and yet AMSA is acceptable in lieu of state rego in all states for first 3 months...

Quote:
If there is an exemption in Victoria for AMSA registered recreational vessels then that exemption has been made by the Safety Director under the states Marine Safety Act. Which there could be, but I'd have my doubts.
From the transportsafety.vic.gov.au

"Operators of vessels that are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) under the Shipping Registration Act 1981 should contact Transport Safety Victoria to see if they qualify for an exemption from State registration. "

Must be how my friend does it..
Old 12-10-2015, 19:25   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
..and yet AMSA is acceptable in lieu of state rego in all states for first 3 months...

From the transportsafety.vic.gov.au

"Operators of vessels that are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) under the Shipping Registration Act 1981 should contact Transport Safety Victoria to see if they qualify for an exemption from State registration. "

Must be how my friend does it..

It's not that AMSA registration is acceptable in lieu of state rego in the states. It's actually about giving 'visitors' from over seas a grace time in which to visit, or live in that state. Most visiting boats don't have AMSA registration, they are boats visiting from interstate, and therefore the states give those people a grace time of around 3 months to visit or to move permamently. If it's an Australian recreational vessel, whether you have AMSA registration is irrelevant. You need 'state' registration from the day you enter into the states waters. (with the exception of NT because they don't have registration).
Old 12-10-2015, 19:33   #74

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

It seems crazy, but it is true. When we bought our boat in Victoria I got all the paperwork including a copy of the letters to and from VicRoads and saw the stated exemption. So the previous owner had the boat and the tender covered under AMSA-only registration for ten years. The lucky buggers!

Meanwhile I have been going through the process of registering the tender. So far I am up to AU$130 worth of paperwork. That's actually at lot more than the tender is worth. But it will be nice to be able to use the old 3.5 HP outboard again.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2015, 19:42   #75

Quote:
It seems crazy, but it is true. When we bought our boat in Victoria I got all the paperwork including a copy of the letters to and from VicRoads and saw the stated exemption. So the previous owner had the boat and the tender covered under AMSA-only registration for ten years. The lucky buggers!

Meanwhile I have been going through the process of registering the tender. So far I am up to AU$130 worth of paperwork. That's actually at lot more than the tender is worth. But it will be nice to be able to use the old 3.5 HP outboard again.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Down this way, your Tender is covered by the Yacht's registration, as long as it's not used too far from the main boat. Not sure off the cuff how far that is.

Tags
Australia, yacht