Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2014, 07:45   #436
cruiser

Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
It's too close to launch for me to read Rebel Heart's blogs or even this large thread, but I would suggest that our plans and preparations may serve us better in the long run than did theirs...but I would like to hear their side of the story if they choose to relate it.
I shortened your quote.

I think your plan is a good one, err on the side of caution is what I take from it. One thing you should/might add for additional safety and/or comfort would be to add 1-2 additional qualified crew members to take on the additional watches and help out. They can usually be hired through a good professional delivery company for around 350 pounds each total for the delivery. Guys and gals who're working towards their captains hours whilst you remain in control.
Old 16-04-2014, 07:57   #437
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Are there a lot of electronic autopilots that compensate for apparent wind changes?
Mine does. Steers by the vane atop the mast. Gives me an alarm when the wind shifts more than 20 degrees.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:12   #438

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." ... Albert Einstein.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:14   #439
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Nearly every time I've logging into the CF forum over the past week, I couldn't help noticing that Rebel Heart was logged on reading all the posts related to the topic. Wouldn't it be delightful if he stopped wasting his energy on "endless circling" over the forum, contribute to the discussion, and end some of the mysteries we're talking about, so that we can reallocate our efforts towards other endeavors instead of speculation?

Ken
Ken the problem is simple. If Eric says the sky was blue, some here will demand a better answer and want him waterboarded until he answers to their satisfaction. No matter WHAT he says or writes at this point in the game (and yes it is a game to some here) he will be second guessed and attacked. Just look at what is happening without FACTS...it will only get worse once facts come out and Eric or the boat were found to have weaknesses (which we ALL Have).

The question of this thread was this:
"Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community"
So I will answer based on what I saw while standing in the Strictly Sail Oakland Boat Show booth talking to potential cruisers.
The wives were using the rescue as a reason to not go cruising, while the husbands tried (with a paniced look in their eye) to calm their wives down and sell the cruising dream to them! I was watching the dreams die right in front of my eyes for several couples. It was sad to see, but even more sad to think that their chances of getting killed on the streets of Oakland California were probabally higher than needing a Rescue at Sea.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:16   #440

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

George Santayana
Old 16-04-2014, 08:25   #441
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

George Santayana
History is written by the winners, changed by the Ministry of Truth, and speculated by the masses.

Without first sources, I see this has turned into a kangaroo naval inquisition.

Next you'll be speculating that Eric intentionally sunk the boat to cover up evidence.

What? I heard that click in your head.

Let the Witch Hunt continue.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:56   #442

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Spoken like someone who has never actually used a good servo-pendulum vane, nor seen how powerful, reliable, and as close to being a perpetual motion device they can be... (I would not put REBEL HEART's Hydrovane in that category, btw)
Jon, I see this is your first post here, so you haven't had experience with Delancy's style. BTW, welcome.

I assure you he was intentionally being absurdly sarcastic to make his real point that electronic doodads are evil and that too many people are going to sea relying on them. If you read his later post on windvanes, that point comes out much clearer.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:56   #443
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
A quality autopilot, battery bank and various charging systems cheaper than a vane (installed)? The average boater repairing his own electronic autopilot? Easily finding someone to do it (anywhere in the world) inexpensively?
Very good point Terra Nova. My autopilot system is the one single item on Palarran that I'd struggle significantly to first diagnose and then repair. Actually repair would be impossible as I don't carry any spare parts for it. So we would be forced to hand steer. I had three crew onboard for my Atlantic Crossing and while it would have sucked, it would have been possible. Alone? Not likely.
Old 16-04-2014, 08:57   #444

Wow can we leave eric and his family alone. Its done and nothing is going to change.. the only way to know who is right in each of their own minds is to go out and set sail on a long crossing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-04-2014, 09:22   #445

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
Wow can we leave eric and his family alone. Its done and nothing is going to change.. the only way to know who is right in each of their own minds is to go out and set sail on a long crossing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sorry man. As long as we keep posting faster than Eric can read we will never hear the real story, so we can continue on how we would have done so much better. Good luck catching up Rebel Heart. Good luck.

Goat (wasting bandwidth)
Old 16-04-2014, 09:22   #446

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Spoken like someone who has never actually used a good servo-pendulum vane, nor seen how powerful, reliable, and as close to being a perpetual motion device they can be... (I would not put REBEL HEART's Hydrovane in that category, btw)

"Idiots", indeed... :-)

Yes, we all know how easily Black Boxes can be repaired underway, or how rarely electrons cease flowing through them aboard sailing yachts at sea...

A Swan 46 like WOLFHOUND, or a brand-new $700K Alpha 42 like BE GOOD TOO being recent notable exceptions, of course... :-)
Great pics, great comments, great first post. Welcome
Old 16-04-2014, 09:31   #447

For the record I hold a very high regard for MarkJ and his opinions, although it might not seem like it and I would understand it if he found me annoying sometimes. I also don't dispute any of his comments regarding wind vanes.

However, I felt they were a little one sided. In the same way he said he hoped to prevent people making mistakes for lack of information, I think it needs to be pointed out the electronic autopilots are expensive and power hungry and essentially un-repairable and as such don't represent an ideal solution for all people.

Personally, having to run an engine to provide electricity for an autopilot doesn't work for me but to each his own.

You can spend a million bucks to go cruising if you want, but you don't have to and I would hate to see people discouraged from picking it up because they can't afford a bunch of expensive equipment that someone says they need when there are alternatives.
Old 16-04-2014, 09:34   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
History is written by the winners, changed by the Ministry of Truth, and speculated by the masses.

Without first sources, I see this has turned into a kangaroo naval inquisition.

Next you'll be speculating that Eric intentionally sunk the boat to cover up evidence.

What? I heard that click in your head.

Let the Witch Hunt continue.
Did I deserve that response? Do any of us? I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say ANY of that, and that the click you heard was in your own head.

Stop trying to censor/distort the conversation by waving your monkey hands around and calling everyone names. It was funny for a week or two, but now it's just a bore. Trying to label everyone in the "for us" or "against us" camps isn't honest debate. It's an emotional rhetorical device.

Reasoned analysis is a positive use of the forum. We can be supportive AND analyze what happened. Most of the people here are just trying to learn something we can apply in our own situations. There are lessons here for all, if we don't close our eyes to them.
Old 16-04-2014, 09:49   #449

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
For the record I hold a very high regard for MarkJ and his opinions, although it might not seem like it and I would understand it if he found me annoying sometimes. I also don't dispute any of his comments regarding wind vanes.

However, I felt they were a little one sided. In the same way he said he hoped to prevent people making mistakes for lack of information, I think it needs to be pointed out the electronic autopilots are expensive and power hungry and essentially un-repairable and as such don't represent an ideal solution for all people.

Personally, having to run an engine to provide electricity for an autopilot doesn't work for me but to each his own.

You can spend a million bucks to go cruising if you want, but you don't have to and I would hate to see people discouraged from picking it up because they can't afford a bunch of expensive equipment that someone says they need when there are alternatives.
I have to apologize; dick move on my part. I got no Nema 2000 backbone or whatever so self steering without sucking back battery power is pretty important to me. Losing everything to a lightning strike would totally piss me off. Yes I'm a Neanderthal and I never expect (or want) to cruise with the fairer sex, so basic (to the extreme) works for me.
Luckily, I'm very ugly
Goat
Old 16-04-2014, 10:01   #450
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

Reasoned analysis is a positive use of the forum. We can be supportive AND analyze what happened.
Analyze what? What exactly? Do you KNOW what EXACTLY happened? Perhaps you can tell me what EXACTLY happened? Where's the evidence? Do you see anything? Did you touch anything?

You can't, now can you? You blow it around the room but you cannot give me one absolute substantiated fact that can be debated in the context of RH's true history. Why? Because it doesn't exist. Its ALL projected.

Go start another thread that's independent of RH if you want to debate the silliness of opinions on equipment, situations, or experiences. Here it doesn't jive because there are no facts related to RH. Its all conjecture or unreliable narration.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib