Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2004, 17:12   #1

Race Update

I just have to share with all.. I am so excited that I can hardly stand it. We are on the count-down to the big Marina Del Rey to Puerto Vallarta race. We are probably 80% ready. Some updates are still to be done, but are scheduled. We will be competing in the Salsa class. We have assembled a crew that has some good experience. 5 are regulars, 3 will be newcomers. We have done a lot of upgrading for this race in particular. New bottom paint, cutter rigging, sattelite weather station, watermaker, extra fuel capacity(150 g) SSB. In addition to all that we have at the present. The race starts in Feb 11, 2005. I will be adding comment & questions to all of you in the weeks to come. I will appreciate all comments and any that have experience in long races. Our crew seems to be great, 4 of us have advanced certs & one has multi trans-pac experience. I am the newest captain of the 5 & would appreciate any input...positive & negative.
Old 27-12-2004, 21:51   #2

Well, slim input so-far,... but I see most of you are on the east coast. That's O.K. Hopefully with the new satelite set-up we should be able to let you know how it all goes. I have my medical kit ready to go, now we have to think of basics for crew of 8 for a 10 day run. Some of the preps have changed, but we still plan to have the trip of a life-time. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-01-2005, 19:57   #3

O.K. 24 days and counting. Supplies are being put up, electronics installed, all check-out are almost done. Have 1200 miles of open ocean to look forward to. We are ready & anxious to be under way. SSB & VHF channels will be available for race monitoring. Are we ready? after all this weather we have had in the southland, I am ready to be anywhere but here!
Old 13-01-2005, 10:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hope you are ouyt on the water practicing too. Well, more like a pre-race shake down actually. It will help to release some of the tension. Tension comes from the unknown. The more you train, the less is unknown. You won't kill it totally, but it will help, than going out to the race line on the day and then think, " I hope she holds together " or "but I thought you were sorting that part "

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 21:06   #5

We will be arriving a-board on Feb 5th. Plan is to set for Newport on 02-07. Should arrive at the American Legion YC on the 8th. From there to Marina Del Rey to arrive the AM of the 9th. The race starts on 02-11-05 at 13:10hrs. From there to Turtle Bay(Bahia de Tortuga) - ETA early AM 02-14-05. Leg 2 departs Turtle Bay in the AM 02-16-05 & on to the Bahia Santa Maria the Pm of 02-17-05. There will be a cruise leg to Cabo San Lucas with an ETA of 02-19-05. Leg 3 starts in the AM of 02-21-05 to arrive at Puerto Vallarta on 02-23 or 24. Daily position & standing available at www.dryc.org. We will be standing by on 2182 MHz on the SSB every day once the race starts. Our call sign is WDB8169.
Old 24-01-2005, 21:08   #6

All is well, we are ready! crew & ship in primo shape.

Tags
race