Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 23:11   #1

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
Question about storm jib.

My new boat will have a cutter rig, with both foresails on furlers. Is it advisable to have a separate storm jib, and if so, how would it be deployed with both genoa and staysail already on the furler?
Old 12-02-2009, 23:28   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I thought the idea was to have the storm jib be the partialy furled inner (cutter) jib.

I'm not getting on deck to pull down a sail and run up a storm jib...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 23:39   #3

Boat: Trismus 37
On a cutter the staysail usually doubles as a storm jib, usually built of heavier material than the genoa. Not too sure with a furling staysail though I can't see why it can't be the same, as you roll it up it flattens and of course as the wind rises the flatter sail copes better with the stronger wind.
On my rig (non furling) I have reef points in the staysail.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 23:48   #4

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
Thank you both for your replies. That's what I also thought and understood. I got some doubts when somebody told me I would need a separate storm jib, and thought 'well, what to do with the furlers then?'

Thanks for clarifying this for me!
Old 13-02-2009, 05:01   #5

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
I have reef points in the staysail.

You have to go on to the foredeck to reef it, no?

Have to say I'm with MarkJ on that.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 05:39   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
Storm Jib

A storm jib is a purpose built sail designed to keep a sailboat moving "Powered up" in very heavy weather, many times off shore where the tactics employed can determine the survival of the vessel. While it is correct that a staysail is usually built of a heavier material than a Jenny, it is not a stom sail. A storm jib is much heavier than a "staysil" usually triple stiched, roped all around, with heavy reinforcements at the clew, tack and head. Designed for winds that can blow out even a reefed staysail. You need to ask yourself if you plan to sail in these type of conditions and if the answer is yes storm sails would be required. I believe there may be some type of systems for attaching storm sails to furled sails, if not an additional inner stay and haylyards could be set up to accomodate your needs.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 06:44   #7

ATN makes a storm headsail that's designed to fasten around the furled headsail
ATN Home Page -- sailing, sail, storm, gale, tacker, spinnaker, sleeve, stasher, flasher, douser, chute scoop, sally, case, furler, roller, reefed sail, single handed, short handed, cruising, transatlantic, round the world, Jules Verne Trophy, BOC, w

I have never talked with anyone who has used one

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 07:00   #8

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Could you not just have the jib self-furling and leave the staysail as a hanked on. Most of the time you will only use the genoa/jib anyway, easy enough to drop the hanked staysail and run up a storm staysail if you are thinking ahead - much easier to work on than the jib - depending on its placement of course.

I suppose an alternative would be to rig the staysail as a removeable self-furler (bit like a small code 0) amd have a removeable stay also. Most of the time could use the furler and pull it off when the weather looks dirty and reconnect the stay for the stormsail. Messy maybe but no big deal.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 12:53   #9

Boat: Trismus 37
Connemarra, you have to go on the foredeck to reef it, yes. I could probably rig a remote system if I really put my mind to it though.
Cburger, I agree that a "proper storm jib" is heavier with rope all around, (my staysail is triple stitched) but in conditions that would require me to use a storm jib I would already be lying to my sea anchor, this is more related to the design of my boat rather than a general situation for other yachts.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 13:21   #10

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
My previous boat came with a storm jib with a wire luff. It was a usefull sail, and could be raised on the spinnaker halyard. This was nice insurance if the furler ever packed it in, and also allowed the sail to be used wing and wing for dead down sailing. Like a storm trysail you can have it bagged and loaded on deck if you think you are in for weather you don't have time to get out of.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 14:22   #11

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post

I just bought one used in near-perfect condition. I purposely went with a very undersized one. (60 square feet for a 50 foot boat is very small.) We were in 40 gusting to 50 knots on Long Island Sound last October. I was wishing I had something to keep the bow to leeward when our main was double reefed. We used the engine to help with steerage. (I don't want to be wishing I had one, if the engine ever quits. Better to have one and not use it.)

I'll have to post any experiences we have with it. I may have to get a bigger one if this one doesn't do the job.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 15:17   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
On a cutter the staysail usually doubles as a storm jib, usually built of heavier material than the genoa. Not too sure with a furling staysail though I can't see why it can't be the same, as you roll it up it flattens and of course as the wind rises the flatter sail copes better with the stronger wind.
On my rig (non furling) I have reef points in the staysail.
Roller reefing a jib makes the draft deeper and too far forward. All the furlers I've seen have the tack and head swivel independent of the foil to try to wrap more of the middle of the sail than the ends. Some people have a triangular wedge of foam or ropes sewn into the luff to make the middle bulkier to take up the extra cloth as well. Rule of thumb I've read is that you can take 3-4 wraps before the sail shape gets bad. I have a tendency to put the #3 on if there is going to a few days of more wind since the shape of the bigger sail gets so bad when reefing.

John

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 15:54   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've got a cutter rig with both sails on furlers. I added luff pads to the 110% genoa, and it performs well when rolled up to the point where it just overlaps the staysail, adding drive that the staysail alone can't provide to punch though steep waves.

That configuration, with a triple reefed main, works fine up to 50 knots when sailing on a close reach or lower. With the roller furling staysail, I've never felt the need for a storm jib, but I've never sailed in hurricane force winds. I think I'd go to bare poles in that situation, and run off, trailing warps.
Old 13-02-2009, 19:44   #14

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I've got a cutter rig with both sails on furlers. I added luff pads to the 110% genoa, and it performs well when rolled up to the point where it just overlaps the staysail, adding drive that the staysail alone can't provide to punch though steep waves.

That configuration, with a triple reefed main, works fine up to 50 knots when sailing on a close reach or lower. With the roller furling staysail, I've never felt the need for a storm jib, but I've never sailed in hurricane force winds. I think I'd go to bare poles in that situation, and run off, trailing warps.

Hud,

Would you consider heaving-to or lying-to a sea anchor? I've been reading Storm Tactic's, you see.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 21:41   #15

Too many variables

The windspeed, the water depth, the direction of the prevailing current and the shape/period/height of the waves... the shape of the hull, the keel, the position of the mast, stays...

For my boat, if I rig the inner stay I'm considering, the size of the staysail and it's position will result in a theoretically close-to-balanced position for 40-50 kt winds, although I have no clue how the boat will handle and no idea how I'd be able to heave-to with it. I plan on getting that kind of experience next fall - deliberately looking for heavy winds to test the boat and myself further. Maybe I'll be able to fore-reach, maybe I won't, but I want to know before I head out how to rig the systems and - if possible - how they will react in extreme weather.

I think any sailor will consider every possible storm tactic depending on the exact circumstance xe finds xyrself in.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote