Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 16:11   #1

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Just heard by word of mouth about an attack on a Marina and hostages taken.
Anyone have any details true or not.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 16:20   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

ABS has a story, just happened.. Can't post links from phone.
RokNRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:02   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Just heard by word of mouth about an attack on a Marina and hostages taken.
Anyone have any details true or not.
Where?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:03   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

Ocean view marina on Samal Island...
RokNRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:10   #5

Boat: Sailboat

6 foreign nationals abducted on Samal Island | ABS-CBN News

Quote:
DAVAO CITY - Six foreign nationals have been abducted on Samal Island Monday evening.
The victims were checked-in at the Ocean View Resort in Barangay Ilihan when they were reportedly kidnapped by armed men around 10:30 pm Monday.
The armed men were believed to be members of the Bangsamoro Army or BAMA, allegedly a breakaway group from the Moro Islamicand Liberation Front (MILF).
According to reports, the group was onboard a motorized bangka when they swooped down the yacht club and snatched the victims at gunpoint.
The suspects fled towards Pantukan, Compostela Valley province.
The Navy and the Coast Guard are currently tracking the suspects.
Samal police has yet to identify the victims as well as their nationalities.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 21:55   #6

Boat: Spray Replica

Unfortunately I have to inform you that this story is sadly true.
It has been a very long night. The marina was attacked by an armed group last night at 2300.
This was a targeted hostage attack.
Unfortunately four of our fellow sailors have been beaten and forcibly taken at gun point.
Two of the skippers John Risdel 'Aziza" and Kjartan Sekkingstad 'Wimsun' were taken when they went to the aid of an American couple, Steve and Cass 'Outstripp' who were being beaten by the group in the cockpit of their boat, they managed to escape the attack however sustained head injuries. John and Kjarten were hit with the gun stocks and then had guns pointed at them and dragged away. Another Couple Rob Hall and his partner 'Renova' were also forcibly removed from their boat by another group targeting the other marina finger at the same time.
The group attacked the first boats they came to that were open with crew on board.
The attackers were armed and violent.
As the rest of the marina responding to the noise the attackers left and escaped with the three skippers and Robs partner.
I attempted to raise a Mayday alarm on ch 16, however we received no response.
It took quite a long time to raise the alarm as the only security guard was missing. By the time first responders arrived the attackers were long gone.
We are very concern about the developments here and even more concerned for our fellow sailors.
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 22:02   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I've just left Oceanview 3 weeks ago on rally, I know John and Kjartan, this is horrific and dad. Very good men. Samal is a wonderful island and great people, it's so hard to believe it has happened. The mayor of Samal had a very good reputation and Davao is thought to be very safe, I hope and pray that they can solve this situation.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Unidentified gunmen have abducted two Canadians (John Ridsdel and Robert Hall), a Norwegian resort manager (Kjartan Sekkingstad) and a Filipino woman (The unidentified Filipino woman is the wife of one of the Canadians).
2 Canadians among 4 abducted on Philippine island - World - CBC News

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 06:47   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Terrible news

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/gunmen-abduct-foreigners-filipino-philippine-resort-33939927
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 07:30   #10

Boat: Islander 36

Sounds like terrorist, not pirates.
Old 22-09-2015, 08:37   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Sounds like terrorist, not pirates.
Very good comment, it is important to make that difference. i am afraid that many pirate attacks, also in Indian Ocean Somali area were terrorist attacks. it is one thing to be wary of pirates and have terrorism risk!
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:06   #12

Dang. I was afraid this would happen.

That resort/marina looks REALLY nice and the reports I have read make me want to go there but it is too near the areas having problems with the Moros. Given all of the kidnapping that been happening in that part of the PI, the marina was a rich target waiting to happen.

There have been some news reports over the last year that made me hope that the security situation in the area would improve. Hopefully it will but this is really bad news.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:09   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

The worst nightmare for all concerned
Including the phillipine military who have to interdict. Remember a few years ago the murdering of tourists at Palawan?

I dated a girl from the southern Philippines. She told me that we had to be careful where and what we did. She said that it wasn't just the Muslims either. Her own bad boys on her island would even kidnap and ransom rich Filipinos. Cebu seems pretty safe. But south of that gets riskier the more south and west u get.

We had a skipper planning a trip from west coast to Davao just recently. I asked him why Davao ? I did it only because I have my personal worries about southern PI. I know Steady Hand posted a nice link for the city of Davao.

Let me tell u if you don't know this. In the upscale neighborhoods you have guards patrolling and perimeter fencing. In some of the neighborhoods without perimeter fencing the upscale residents have 12 foot cement walls. On top of the walls they take beer bottles and break them and leave the jagged ends exposed and bottom part cemented in as a further deterrent. You can drive a 1/4 mile further and see wretched poverty. Children with no shoes or even flip flops. Huts made of bamboo and dirt floors. Latrine style toilets. One water source for the small community. It broke my heart! Abject poverty right next door to the well doers. Even Filipinos fear one another.

The Muslim situation down there in southern PI is a very real threat. I will worry and pray like the rest of the world that this ends calmly and with no harm. But their tendency towards violence sounds more like a political agenda then it does a money thing. God help those poor people.

One nurse that I talked to frequently had to go up on the hills to educate and train citizens about health. She told me that she was scared to death every time she went up there on a quarterly basis. She said the Muslim fighters were barely tolerant of her presence and gave her long scowling looks. Her driver protector was just as scared. What can u do when a group of men walk by u with Automatics?

It seems to be a standard play out of terrorist handbook to dismay the locals with we can strike anywhere at anytime. They know it will impact tourist business. It may be even payback for PI military activities against them. I would be scared shirtless if I was the captured.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 11:17   #14

Here's a link with cctv of abduction: Hunt underway for hostages including 2 Canadians abducted in Philippines | Daily Mail Online

Oh,and by the way-the olde broken bottle shards in cement wall top has been around in France for at least a hundred years.
But yes-the depth of poverty is just crushing and certainly not unavoidable in this age.Corruption,disgusting greed animal people of wealth

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 12:19   #15

In the French Quarter (New Orleans) I have also seen many walls with the old thick chunks of glass cemented into the top.

This is terrible news, it will harm tourism greatly.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote