Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 12:36   #16

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Picking up crew in Turks without "entering"

It strikes me as very strange that this discussion is even going on. In effect what is being asked is can a foreign yacht stand offshore, effectively eluding Customs and Immigration, whilst waiting for a person to illegally immigrate. Isn’t this called people smuggling. Doesn’t it sound dodgy in the extreme? What if the escaping crew member is carrying drugs or worse?

What would the response posts have been if the port were different, say New York, Sydney or Le Harve?
Old 30-04-2015, 14:13   #17

Boat: Nauticat 32

I recommend contacting the T&C officials and asking what they recommend you to do in this case. I'm sure they must have some procedures for large ships visiting the islands.

Another (probably worse) approach for the new crew member would be to leave T&C in another boat, following the normal exit procedure. That boat would then meet you at the international waters, and then probably return back to T&C following the normal entry procedure.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:25   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sounds like it would be easier to clear in the yacht, and have the crew shipped in via FedEx in a box stamped "SPARES FOR YACHT IN TRANSIT".

How's your crew feel about traveling in a nice comfy pine box?(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:26   #19

Wow. Fantastic discussion thanks everybody!! To answer a little discrepancy a few post up, he's not carrying drugs, just sailing gloves and oilskins!

But actually, this is 100% a matter of convenience for me and the vessel. It's a delivery, and it's already taken too long, and we have a weather window. I want to absolutely minimize time in Turks and we have 9.5ft draft so it's going to be a headache to get in anyway.

According to my Navionics charts it looks like I can probably get in on the north side, in between the reef and island. To the northeast there's a little channel with "marina" marked that should give me 10-11ft the whole way in if I hug the port side. I haven't had the time yet to figure out which marina that is yet....will tonight though.

The comment on "less than 24 hours stay" are most interesting to me, and that applies to us. I also had no idea Radio Provo will track and hail us on VHF on our approach as well! That seems very useful and I hope they're a good local resource as we approach.

I intend to be very clear with the authorities on my intentions, no sneaky exchanges here. We simply want to pick up a crew member and get in and out as quickly as possible. No funny business....it just seems like we're looking at an entire morning/afternoon to clear our six crew and vessel in if we have to check in, then check out a few hours later.

I've tried calling their office and had no response, will try US Embassy in Nassau tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
vmattiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:29   #20

Also, early reply mentioned coming in for "repairs" for quick visit......but needing proof maybe.....perhaps I can buy an oil filter some hose clamps. Certainly can find a way to make a "repair" if that's all I need to do!

Old 30-04-2015, 16:31   #21

... worst idea I think to enter 'for a repair' and depart with one more crew ...

Contact them when you approach and ask how they would like to have 'your special case' handled.

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:36   #22

Good call.

Old 30-04-2015, 17:25   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"he's not carrying drugs, just sailing gloves and oilskins! "
Hadn't you heard? The governor's niece has a bespoke sailing glove business, and her uncle ensures there is a 1000% import tariff on sailing gloves to ensure her position. If your crew tried to being in any sailing gloves without all the right permissions....Oh, that's going to be a nasty scene.
"Dorothy, y'all ain't in Kansas anymore!"

(VBG)
Old 30-04-2015, 22:15   #24

Boat: Trisbal 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
It strikes me as very strange that this discussion is even going on. In effect what is being asked is can a foreign yacht stand offshore, effectively eluding Customs and Immigration, whilst waiting for a person to illegally immigrate. Isn’t this called people smuggling. Doesn’t it sound dodgy in the extreme? What if the escaping crew member is carrying drugs or worse?

What would the response posts have been if the port were different, say New York, Sydney or Le Harve?
Totally agree. If you tried doing this in any other country you could be in for some big trouble. The OP surely doesn't intend to do anything illegal and he has clarified that it is for convenience and he will be clear about everything with the authorities. But I am appalled by those recommending a rendez-vous offshore in international waters (or not even, since anchored off is still in territorial waters, unless you're anchoring more than 12nm off !). OK, there might not be a passport stamp problem, but there could be the crew list discrepancy and the passport could be refused when boarding your next plane...

I also concur with those recommending the crew flying in have a letter from the skipper. Sometimes this will not be enough, and airlines will require a return ticket. The trick is to buy a refundable one, and to get the refund once cleared in...
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
I am appalled by those recommending...
I don't know why. Hang around here for a while and you will see lots and lots of posts suggesting that doing something illegal is really no big deal, everyone does it, and you should too.

Of course, none of those suggesting these illegal activities EVER offers to pay for a lawyer if the poor sole who took their advice gets caught!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26   #26
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

This forum is a hoot. Guy explains his situation, with no ulterior motives, just looking for most expedient and cost effective solution. Someone who has lived here, on the island of Providenciales, in the Turks and Caicos Islands responds. ME. Who has sailed here for ten years, imported a 40 ft catamaran, and spends most every afternoon at one of the marinas here.
I told you the ONE marina that you could get close to on this island. I know every marina within 75 miles of here. I can tell you the name of the guy who will be catching your lines no matter which one you go to.

The guy on Provo Radio you will be talking to will most likely be an officer named Rosie. A long time friend, who has done some carpentry work on our house when he was unemployed.

The Immigration guy who you WILL be seeing upon check in is named Brenton. He's in a red van. Tell him we said hello and my wife still owes him a beer.

And now I see all this useless stuff coming in from people who really don't effing KNOW what they are talking about. And the OP says "To the northeast there's a little channel with "marina" marked that should give me 10-11ft the whole way in if I hug the port side. I haven't had the time yet to figure out which marina that is yet....will tonight though. "

Well, don't that beat all. The OP doesn't have the reading comprehension to recognize what he's reading. Or chooses to totally ignore it. Ok.
I'm officially out of this one. He's on his own.
forget my advice. I'd rather watch the comedy develop.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:41   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Refundable?
That's come up recently elsewhere, and the price of a round-trip non-refundable ticket is often so much less that it pays to buy a round trip and throw it away with the return portion unused. Refundable tickets are a rarity these days, often subject to a lot of fine print. The carriers would prefer to issue you a one year credit, and have your fare throw itself out if unused by then.
Like the so-called "security" of putting your ticket in your name and non-transferable, they've just found great ways to make sure you effectively can't undo a ticket you can't use.
Ship around, read the fine print. You can't find, much less fly, the friendly skies anymore.

Tags
crew