Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 09:51   #46

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Re: OK, why so much about sewing machines?

Okay so I didn't exactly lie about stopping posting... I walked over and got a drink of water... (my friends say I'm quite verbose... I think that's French for HANDSOME! )
I forgot the pics of the machine so here it is and one of the walking foot attachment.
Singer CG 590-C
AAAAAAAaaaaand, I'll add something else...
My personal opinion of carrying a sewing machine with you out into the big ole world... you should be at least aware of maintenance on them.
If you can gain skills on servicing them... all the better!
A lighter built machine is apt to go out of timing sooner than a well-built commercial grade machine... and THAT'S a whole nuther kettle of fish to fry!
But basic cleaning (talking deep inside that wonderous miracle of a machine), lubricating with the appropriate lubes, having replacement belts and such... pretty important when you can't just drop it off at your local service center and pick it up a few days later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer CG590C.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	145282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Walking Foot.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	145283  

wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:25   #47

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

wsmac, those were two very entertaining posts! I like your enthusiasm!
Right now I am creating a pattern for our new hard dink pontoon covers. (Not *right*, right now)
I'm not very good with our sailrite, b u r I am sure glad we have it!
Old 13-04-2017, 12:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
wsmac, those were two very entertaining posts! I like your enthusiasm!
Right now I am creating a pattern for our new hard dink pontoon covers. (Not *right*, right now)
I'm not very good with our sailrite, b u r I am sure glad we have it!
Cool!
I've been looking at the Sailrite machines... drooling a bit actually....
I really desire a long arm/throat because I hate bunching up material in such small spaces and trying to feed it all through. The sailright would offer up more space it seems... compared to my Singer.

I'd love to see one in person first though, so I can get a real sense of it's size and weight, stability on a table or other flat surface.
All the videos I've watched of these machines in action... keep making me think I've seen enough and should just order one.
I'd prefer the straight/zigzag version as opposed to the straight stitch only.
Old 13-04-2017, 12:18   #49

Boat: J/42

I think the sail rite LS machines are actually rather compact. For portability. The throat depth is listed as 7 inches.

Anyway, I've got an inherited plastic machine from my Mom, I guess I'll use up first. For some reason, she got rid of the old all-metal Singer that I grew up with, and bought this. But never even took it out of the box.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 13:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I think the sail rite LS machines are actually rather compact. For portability. The throat depth is listed as 7 inches.

Anyway, I've got an inherited plastic machine from my Mom, I guess I'll use up first. For some reason, she got rid of the old all-metal Singer that I grew up with, and bought this. But never even took it out of the box.

Yes, 7" throat depth is correct. But sail rite has the "professional " model (I think) with a 9" throat depth. Both machines set on a three leg footing with 1 leg needle end and 2 legs clutch end. Without their base or case the machine can be tippy but that's usually just with very thick, tough stuff so it's easy to anticipate and put a steadying hand on the top. All similar machines are built this way. I took the base off mine to save space and it's not really a problem.it's about 17" long and 8" wide x 14" high (going off memery because the machine is buried right now). Weight is about 35lbs
So, bigger than a bread box but smaller than a smart car : )
I bought the monster wheel and I'm glad I did. You can really crank out speed with no electricity.
This is no sail makers machine but one can get quite a bit of material through the throat if you roll tightly.
Seems like sail rite has a model with a 14" throat too. But don't quote me on that!
Old 13-04-2017, 13:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Yes, 7" throat depth is correct. But sail rite has the "professional " model (I think) with a 9" throat depth. Both machines set on a three leg footing...
This is no sail makers machine but one can get quite a bit of material through the throat if you roll tightly.
Seems like sail rite has a model with a 14" throat too. But don't quote me on that!
Thanks for all that!

Toddster8... see if you can find a walking foot attachment for your 'plastic' machine... so helpful! Also a zipper foot for close-in work... not just zippers!
Old 13-04-2017, 14:04   #52

Boat: O'Day 28

My mom had a black Singer in a cabinet with a treadle. She made a lot of clothes circa 30s to 50s.Fun to watch, wished I'd learned more.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:53   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
My mom had a black Singer in a cabinet with a treadle. She made a lot of clothes circa 30s to 50s.Fun to watch, wished I'd learned more.
If you're a guy and don't mind hanging out with a bunch of women and maybe young teen girls, I've known fabric stores to offer up sewing classes for beginners. Sometimes machines are already there... sometimes you have to borrow one or bring your own.

If you're a gal and don't mind hanging out with a bunch of women and maybe young teen girls.... same applies!

Although I never went to one, my daughter did when she was around 13.
It was a beginner class to make pajama pants. She really liked it.
Her mom and I both sew (her mom does clothes WAY better than I can) but sometimes it's nice to not try and learn from people you know... lol
I did go to a knitting class with her once upon a time... we knitted socks! Loads of fun!
Can't knit a sock to save my life today, but she still can... got a nice pair earlier this year!
Old 13-04-2017, 15:25   #54

Correction on the sail rite ultrafeed lz1 dimensions: 17x 8.5 x 12h.
Those dimensions are for the machine without case or stand as sold by sailrite. Weight is still about 35lbs.

I just looked at the sailrite site. I couldn't find the machine with 9" throat (I didn't looat all of them) but the fabricator as a servo motor and table $1400. Just for you lusty types!
Old 15-04-2017, 21:47   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Dreaming, Jim and I made chaps for our dinghy last year. It would have been better if I'd read what SailRite has to say about making them beforehand. Yes, i was that dumb. If it's readily available, sew some retro-reflective tape vertically, at the dinghy's shoulders, and ahead of the tips. It really makes it visible in flashlight range. Useful for those rare occasions when it goes walkabout. Do not bother with the retro-reflective piping, it isn't sturdy enough, you need the SOLAS tape. Too bad, it'd look jazzy at night.

Ann
Old 15-04-2017, 23:52   #56

Thanks for the tip Ann. I had not thought of reflective tape!
Regarding the chaps, I have watched some of the Sail rite video. I am not sure I will follow their method though. Our dinghy is the Walker Bay hard dinghy with the extra flotation tube. Jim wanted a cover for the tubes for when the boat is overturned . He envisions a full tube wrapping. I have patterned a plan in plastic that just might work. I will probably mock up one side in plastic to see if the idea will really work. If that fails I will be "a good girl" and follow the sail rite instructions.
Old 16-04-2017, 01:41   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hi guys and gals, has anyone used a walking foot attachment such as depicted on wsmac's post #46 above? I'd be keen to know if they are worth considering.

I reckon it can't beat the performance of a real walking foot machine such as a Sailrite LSZ-1 but since I recently acquired an old blue Singer 20u with ZZ (but no walking foot) I'd be particularly interested to learn people's experiences about the attached walking foot.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 12:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Hi guys and gals, has anyone used a walking foot attachment such as depicted on wsmac's post #46 above? I'd be keen to know if they are worth considering.

I reckon it can't beat the performance of a real walking foot machine such as a Sailrite LSZ-1 but since I recently acquired an old blue Singer 20u with ZZ (but no walking foot) I'd be particularly interested to learn people's experiences about the attached walking foot.
I used the walking foot in my earlier image to sew up a surfboard tailgate pad for my truck.
I used some old cordura with coating, to make the sleeve.
One pool noodle for the padding.
Some 1 inch webbing and D-rings to strap the board to it, and allow for tiedown points.

The walking foot attachment worked SO WELL... I've left it on!
I typically sew heavier, rather than lighter, fabric.
I've owned the attachment for a few years but kept forgetting I had it!
Wish I could have said I've been using it since the day it 'walked into' my life!

Name:	surfboard pad6.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	145512

Name:	surfboard pad3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	145513

Name:	surfboard pad4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	145514
Old 16-04-2017, 12:21   #59

I have reupholstered medical exam beds with my machine 4-layers of Naugahyde, repaired camping tents, made a cargo-size fannypack, made large duffel bags, repaired numerous pairs of jeans and other clothing, make many webbing/strap items for camping or other outdoor purposes, loads of ditty bags, and some firearm related items as well.

I seriously wish I had been using that walking foot the whole time!
It was stashed away in a box of sewing stuff I don't get into much... as I said earlier... I just forgot I had it!

Of the heavier duty machines I've been looking at to run alongside this Singer... the Sailright LSZ-1 is right at the top of my list.
But in the meantime, I'll keep using that really great walking foot attachment on my Singer!
It's simple to put on and take off.
It's a very simple mechanical device to operate.
Your mileage may vary...
Old 16-04-2017, 12:24   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sea Dreaming, Jim and I made chaps for our dinghy last year. It would have been better if I'd read what SailRite has to say about making them beforehand. Yes, i was that dumb. If it's readily available, sew some retro-reflective tape vertically, at the dinghy's shoulders, and ahead of the tips. It really makes it visible in flashlight range. Useful for those rare occasions when it goes walkabout. Do not bother with the retro-reflective piping, it isn't sturdy enough, you need the SOLAS tape. Too bad, it'd look jazzy at night.
Ann
Could you just hand-stitch some on now? Are the chaps too much to put back on your machine and sew the strips on?

Tags
sewing machine