Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 10:57   #1

OK, why so much about sewing machines?

I know there's a lot of material involved with a sailboat, but I see so much more about sewing machines here than I expected.

Do alot of you use sewing machines for your own use or do most owners use them for the business of sewing for others?

Once you have your sails (which doesn't really even seem like an onboard job) and covers and what not made, it seems like it wouldn't be a tool you would use much, except for an occasional repair. You could make clothing as well, but again for one or two how much is there to make? Is it common for the more self-reliant cruiser to keep aboard to avoid paying someone to do repairs? Is it a possible income stream while cruising?

I know, a newb question. But I'm a newb.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: OK, why so much about sewing machines?

I bought our with the idea of being able to do repairs if I'm in an area where there just isn't someone you can pay to do a repair.
Hopefully I / we will get good enough so that we can do our own work.
There is more money than you appreciate in covers, Bimini's etc.
I think it's going to cost me around $6000 or more to replace my Bimini / Dodger etc.

But yes, I'd gladly pay someone who knew what they were doing to re-sew some things as necessary, gladly
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I bought our with the idea of being able to do repairs if I'm in an area where there just isn't someone you can pay to do a repair.
Hopefully I / we will get good enough so that we can do our own work.
There is more money than you appreciate in covers, Bimini's etc.
I think it's going to cost me around $6000 or more to replace my Bimini / Dodger etc.

But yes, I'd gladly pay someone who knew what they were doing to re-sew some things as necessary, gladly
I've followed yours and others discussions on bimini costs. The prices are eye-opening. That's what made me think some are seeing an immediate return on the machine.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:42   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yes immediate return. Replaced dodger windows repaired sails made sail covers etc.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:52   #5

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We're still 3 years and 27 days from leaving, but we bought our machine last year so we could make new cockpit and cabin cushions, a bimini, etc. It's already paid for itself, and I haven't even started the bimini yet.

I was planning on bringing it with us for easier repairs, and to replace things as necessary. However, the machine isn't small nor light so I'm having second thoughts on whether it will make the final cut. Space and weight considerations are important given the size of our boat, but I definitely don't relish the idea of making repairs by hand.

At least I still have some time to make up my mind!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:55   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We have an older boat with older everything. Plans include restitching the Bimini and dodger. Adding a zip out panel to the dodger wind screen for air flow, adding a panel between the dodger and Bimini for more shade cover, new winch covers, stay sail deck bag, new covers for the hatches and cockpit table (I've probably forgotten some).

Finished so far, grill cover, outboard motor cover, mattress encasement for our berth, and a full suit of bug screens for companion way, 3 hatches and opening ports. I've also sewn some sail ties, a skirt and tons of little bits like adding loops to various things. Oh and a harness for lifting our outboard motor too.

I can't imagine what these projects would cost if I paid someone to do them. But, not in including sewing machine, but including some tools and hardware for our projects, with all the materials purchased we have spent about 500.00 with lots of materials left over for projects we haven't thought of.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yes immediate return. Replaced dodger windows repaired sails made sail covers etc.
Did you have sewing experience? I see you're a machinist so you can clearly see how a project goes from idea to completion.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
I was planning on bringing it with us for easier repairs, and to replace things as necessary. However, the machine isn't small nor light so I'm having second thoughts on whether it will make the final cut. Space and weight considerations are important given the size of our boat, but I definitely don't relish the idea of making repairs by hand.
That was one of the things that made me post this. The space requirements got me wondering about the trade-off of taking it or leaving it at home. Did you know know how to sew before this?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:38   #9

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I think it depends a lot on how big of a boat you have, and partly how you want to approach a problem. Some people have spare sails, but a sewing machine is a lot smaller than the stored sails from a 30ft sailboat. Many boats also have storage spaces that remain empty and their owner's barely aware they exist, such as under the forward cabin berths, or under the quarter berth. These are great places to stow stuff that barely gets used, but is damned welcome when it's needed.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 16:00   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
Did you have sewing experience? I see you're a machinist so you can clearly see how a project goes from idea to completion.
No prior sewing experience. This was a major concern so I bought a Sailrite sewing machine. They have great support of the machine setup and use. If you know how to sew a heavy duty machine from a used shop is cheaper. I've had it 10 years or so now. Many projects on a few different boats. Plus my wife has done other things non boat related. I'm sure it has paid for itself just in re-stitching sun covers on headsails over the years. If we didn't do everything ourselves having a boat would cost too much. Plus we like doing it for the challenge. I made a press last week to change the prop shaft bearing as a example.
If it makes sense for you I don't know.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 18:36   #11

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
That was one of the things that made me post this. The space requirements got me wondering about the trade-off of taking it or leaving it at home. Did you know know how to sew before this?
I had taken a few lessons but was basically a novice. The Sailrite YouTube videos are fantastic. They break everything down step-by-step so that you find yourself thinking, "Hey, I can make that!" Next thing you know, you've actually made it.
Old 03-04-2017, 19:28   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

My stack pack is pretty big. It cost less than $3k and was made in SA and shipped to the Caribbean.

So far in 7 years I haven't had one thing that I'd break out a sewing machine for. Personally, I think we all have a little view of the way they did it in the old days and think it's still completely valid.
Old 03-04-2017, 19:52   #13

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

My boat needed a replacement enclosure. I had never sewn a stitch, didn't have a machine, but I convinced myself that I could complete this project.

A Juki commercial walking foot straight stitch machine was purchased. I purchased and read several books on marine sewing projects.

My work area was my pool table room. I made locking casters for my sewing machine K table, then set the table height to match my pool table height. That was REALLY handy, especially on the larger panels. The additional same-height work surface, that extends past the sewing machine table, is essential for many tasks.

A commercial canvas maker has loooong tables, with the machine setup near a U-shaped cutout for the operator's body. There are frequently two operators, on opposite sides of the table, offset by a dozen feet.

Then I took the plunge.

Even though my boat had the original factory canvas, it never fit properly, even when new. I also was going full custom, w/ lots of extra features. I used the OEM canvas for ideas and for reference, but I made all my own patterns.

All my Sunbrella canvas was cut using a hot knife. This is the way to go! No frayed or fraying edges. I had a large old mirror, glued to a door, that was my cutting surface for the hot knife.

Here is my custom enclosure

Here is my custom dinghy enclosure

Here is my gas grill cover

Here is my remote control caddy
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 19:52   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
My stack pack is pretty big. It cost less than $3k and was made in SA and shipped to the Caribbean.

So far in 7 years I haven't had one thing that I'd break out a sewing machine for. Personally, I think we all have a little view of the way they did it in the old days and think it's still completely valid.
Valid view but you have to have the money to back it up. $3,000 is a lot of dough. Doing things yourself IS completely valid now as in the past. Personally I have much more time than money.
For example: we needed a harness to lift our outboard onto the boat. We could have bought one for $50.00 but I made one in less than an hour for nothing. I repurposed webbing that was already on the boat. A small example but illustrates my point.
Old 03-04-2017, 20:27   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I learned to sew by patching my work jeans. The crotch wears thru first. I have a pattern I use to cut patches from really old worn out jeans. I can do both sides in 1 hour and double the life of a $55 pair of Carhart loggers.

From that I have started working on other stuff. Not sails yet but that is on the list. Given the small size of my boat I'm probably going to pickup a small light machine that would be fine redoing regular seams and misc repairs, but not work on multiple layer items like corner reinforcement patches.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine