Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 16:24   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: OK, why so much about sewing machines?

Good questions, wsmac!

Yeah, I could hand-stitch, but, it won't look as good, and there's a problem, too.....

As it turns out, the method we used for securing the chaps to the dinghy consisted of pvc (Herculite) strips to which hook velcro was sewn, glued to the pvc dinghy; and, over time, the glue bond is breaking down where the dinghy fabric wrinkles when it is sucked down for stowage on deck for the passages. (It is a 3.5 m. RIB). So, I am loath to remove the cover at all, for fear of having to do the whole re-glue job. Sloth strikes again! In fact, I need to do some repairs to the chaps, anyway.

That's a long story, but they were sewn with UV resistant #92 thread, before i acquired by used LSZ-1, and much of it has popped the stitches, maybe from stretching so tight when the dinghy is inflated, because it's well under the magic 4 yrs. deterioration time. So, comes the time, I need to be near a good fresh water source (to wash the fabric, and let it dry before working on it below decks, where I sew), and have enough time to slightly alter it, I want to ease the two forward-most seams, maybe the two side seams, as well, and re-stitch the velcro with ptfe thread, and yes, i will add some Solas tape at that time But I do need to have the water, and the time, at the same time! Oh, yeah, and get hold of another can of that wretched glue!

Ann
Old 16-04-2017, 16:30   #62

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Good questions, wsmac!

Yeah, I could hand-stitch, but, it won't look as good, and there's a problem, too.....

As it turns out, the method we used for securing the chaps to the dinghy consisted of pvc (Herculite) strips to which hook velcro was sewn, glued to the pvc dinghy; and, over time, the glue bond is breaking down where the dinghy fabric wrinkles when it is sucked down for stowage on deck for the passages. (It is a 3.5 m. RIB). So, I am loath to remove the cover at all, for fear of having to do the whole re-glue job. Sloth strikes again! In fact, I need to do some repairs to the chaps, anyway.

That's a long story, but they were sewn with UV resistant #92 thread, before i acquired by used LSZ-1, and much of it has popped the stitches, maybe from stretching so tight when the dinghy is inflated, because it's well under the magic 4 yrs. deterioration time. So, comes the time, I need to be near a good fresh water source (to wash the fabric, and let it dry before working on it below decks, where I sew), and have enough time to slightly alter it, I want to ease the two forward-most seams, maybe the two side seams, as well, and re-stitch the velcro with ptfe thread, and yes, i will add some Solas tape at that time But I do need to have the water, and the time, at the same time! Oh, yeah, and get hold of another can of that wretched glue!

Ann
So.... your short list eh? LOL
Mind telling me how long you've had your LSZ-1 and how you like it?
Old 16-04-2017, 17:22   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I've had it about a year now, all previous sewing was done on what had been my Mom's Pfaff 130, that we brought cruising with us. As for elegant engineering, the Pfaff was a lot nicer, but of course, i was very familiar with it, so not un-biased. Clever mom, eh?

Since we got the LSZ-1, we have made new weather cloths (Jim installed the grommets) and a new lazy jack boom bag and cowl for the front end of it. [Normally, we live at anchor, and we went into a marina with wide docks to lay out the big pieces for the boom bag. The other stuff was done on picnic tables in parks.] The model I have is really hard to get the oil to all the right places, and I think the fix for that will happen in Queensland where i can get some oil in a bottle with a long, very small diameter flexible oil "pipette".

How do I like it? it's okay. It has done everything I have asked of it, so far, and I expect it will continue to do so. Sapient Sue, another CF member, has one and loves it. I am more in the "it's satisfactory" group.

I think that senor mechanico has it right that any walking foot machine (and maybe your walking foot attachment is enough!) that is well built and all metal inside can do the jobs. I think the SailRite has sort of a cult following, and that it is not the be all and end all of sewing machines. The throat could have more room. Did a repair of our downwind rain awning that zips into the aft end of our dodger, and it was difficult to roll the clear vinyl tight enough to get through the throat, and, of course, it wanted to stick to the metal!

I used my Pfaff, ashore, with a wheel crank (Jim was the "motor power") to re-attach a Sunbrella sacrificial strip on a friend's BCC headsail. It could handle that thickness okay. The LSZ-1 wouldn't be able to cope with the clews on our headsail or main, on this boat, it is too thick, the presser foot doesn't open far enough to cope, and it also might muck up the timing. That would have to be done by hand, or by a sailmaker.

Sue, however, mentioned above, actually used hers to sew some silk slacks, though, probably a pretty unusual accomplishment for a SailRite! That's pretty slick!

Ann
Old 16-04-2017, 18:04   #64

When I first saw the Sailrite machines I figured they were just some machine this outfit had their name put on, but otherwise really didn't get involved in the design/making of them.
Would love to see one in person, in action! Not sure if there's one here where I live.
Used a common commercial grade Singer working on a firecrew up in Alaska once... could handle much more than the LSZ-1.
I'd love to have a machine with a deeper throat because I hate trying to scrunch/wrap/roll heavy or lots of material and pass it through as well!

A nice needle feed Consew, Juki, Singer, et al., that'd be great... but not practical for any boat I'm likely to have in the near future! LOL
Plus... I want straight stitch and zigzag... so it's a compromise of either a combo machine like the Sailrite LSZ-1, or TWO machines! More machines makes a guy real happy! hahaha
Old 16-04-2017, 18:38   #65

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I've got a silk skirt given to me by my aunt. I intend to shorten it with the sail rite. (Actually shorten from the waist band / tie) Well see how it goes eh?

wsmac, you sound like you know what you want. Sail Rite is great for people like me, household sewing experience but no real knowledge of how to get the most out of myself when sewing the heavy stuff. You probably don't need their biggest "extra" and that is simply customer service and help.
Since you have experience why don't you look for a 9" consew or similar? Yes bigger, but not outrageously so. You will get the most out of the machine that makes the most sense for you.
Old 16-04-2017, 19:22   #66

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Allow me to repeat what wingless posted, learn to use ptfe thread (one brand is Tenara) for your canvas work. And, if you don't sew, then order the shop to use it, it will avoid the charges for re-stitching. It will cost more, and cheapskate that i am, I just hated the wastage during the learning phase, but it just one of those bite the bullet type of deals. And well worth it, for those who plan to use their boats a long time.
Ann
That’s excellent advice, thanks Ann. I’d never heard of PTFE thread before. It’s little snippets like that that make this forum such a wonderful resource.
Old 16-04-2017, 22:27   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I've got a silk skirt given to me by my aunt. I intend to shorten it with the sail rite. (Actually shorten from the waist band / tie) Well see how it goes eh?

wsmac, you sound like you know what you want. Sail Rite is great for people like me, household sewing experience but no real knowledge of how to get the most out of myself when sewing the heavy stuff. You probably don't need their biggest "extra" and that is simply customer service and help.
Since you have experience why don't you look for a 9" consew or similar? Yes bigger, but not outrageously so. You will get the most out of the machine that makes the most sense for you.
That makes sense to me!
I was looking around today, in fact, at the Consew models, Juki, Techsew...
Specifically..
Consew - 206RB-5, 255RB (only a couple grand!)
Juki - DDL-8700, DU-1181, DNU-1541S (IF ONLY! hahaha)
Techsew(Canadian outfit)- 611(direct replacement for my Singer CG-590.... definitely a more industrial build), 1460 (much more room under the arm, table comes with it too)
The 611 would be a better boat machine than my Singer... I think... much more capable of both type of stitches on heavy canvas.

I'm not familiar with:
Reliable... seems like they might hold a similar reputation as the ones above?
Reliable - 4000SW

Basically... I will upgrade to a walking/compound/needle drive (whatever you want to call it.. hahaha) machine with a longer arm than 7", servo motor (LOVE how quiet they are!), stand, and yet another mortgage on my soul!

I'll keep my Singer until I can then move onto a more commercial grade straight/zigzag stitch portable machine, since the other one will only be a straight stitch and not portable.

That's the dream anyway... hahaha... I still have to learn to use this little Singer serger I got a great deal on...
Old 17-04-2017, 08:37   #68

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
That’s excellent advice, thanks Ann. I’d never heard of PTFE thread before. It’s little snippets like that that make this forum such a wonderful resource.
It's also known as Tenara or GoreTex. It's great stuff and very strong for its size.
I sewed my trampolines about 8 years ago; they sit outside all year long.
They look like I sewed them yesterday.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 22:11   #69

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
It's also known as Tenara or GoreTex. It's great stuff and very strong for its size.
I sewed my trampolines about 8 years ago; they sit outside all year long.
They look like I sewed them yesterday.
OUr previous boom-bag was sunbrella sewn with Tenara. When we built our new one last November, the sunbrella, then 12 years old, was sun damaged, chafed and stretched out of shape. But, not one stitch had failed... it is truly wonderful stuff!

Jim
Old 17-04-2017, 22:47   #70

thanks for the tip on the Tenara folks!

Question... what are the more popular outlets for sunbrella, tenara, and other materials boaters might sew with?

I'm familiar with Sailrite already
Old 17-04-2017, 23:40   #71

Here's another one that I've used. Sailmaker's Supply. This is the Tenara page:

https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/cat...keyword=tenara

One thing that was a surprise. While searching for auto upholstery supplies, many webstores also offer marine products.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:15   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Here's another one that I've used. Sailmaker's Supply. This is the Tenara page:

https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/cat...keyword=tenara

One thing that was a surprise. While searching for auto upholstery supplies, many webstores also offer marine products.
thanks!
Added to my bookmarks

Tags
sewing machine