Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17   #16

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Re: OK, why so much about sewing machines?

I just finished a mainsail cover. Worth more than the price of the ancient Singer industrial strength machine plus the Sunbrella fabric I got from Craigslist. I have made sails but only small ones. Even a dinghy sail is worth much more than the price of my machine
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
My stack pack is pretty big. It cost less than $3k and was made in SA and shipped to the Caribbean.

So far in 7 years I haven't had one thing that I'd break out a sewing machine for. Personally, I think we all have a little view of the way they did it in the old days and think it's still completely valid.
Yes depends on the person. You could pay what is about 10 percent of the total I have in my whole boat. I would buy the materials for a few hundred and do it myself. No right or wrong just different.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

The sailrite I have is in a case smaller that my fishing tackle box. Not lighter​ though...
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50   #19

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

I used my OLD singer for all of my widow covers, bimini, fender cov er, Windlass cover, horseshoe ring cover (and others) for our trawler...used a wood burning tool...then fast forward years and 2 boats later I have have a hot knife and sailrite...OMG! What I would give to have had it before. .. I fix other people's canvas and have made bimini , dodger , all instrument and hatch covers, repaired sails, covered cushions... etc for our Endeavor 37...I will never go without it.
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:05   #20

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Sewing isn’t for everyone obviously. But there are many things on a boat that are stitched. Being able to do your own repairs saves money, and if you enjoy the accomplishment, is fun and rewarding to do. After time your confidence grows and you can even make new things from scratch.

It’s also nice to be able to help others. For example I’ve just made some lee cloths for a friend’s boat setting off to Tonga in a few weeks. I’ll also have a couple of Tongan courtesy flags ready before we leave.

You don’t have to spend thousands on glitzy flash machines. I bought a 40 year old Adler for a few hundred dollars. It sews through any fabric and thickness. I also recently bought a very cheap, second hand Singer home machine to work with light fabrics. So the first project was to make a set of nautical flags (the alphabet) for the odd occasion when we dress ship (annual boat club season opening for instance). It was great fun to make them.

Also many people obviously do buy brand new machines with all the accessories only to find they don’t ever use them and the result is that they’re cheap as chips when they finally decide to turn them in to cash a year or 3 later.

My advice would be that if you’ve never sewed, buy second hand, buy cheap and give it a go. If it turns out it’s not your thing nothing much is lost. But it’s great fun if you enjoy craftwork.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:16   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

As with many potentially productive tools, it depends. Even my mother, who was very skilled, could not teach me to sew ordinary things on a simple old Singer that she had as a spare. She even tried to each me on a treadle powered machine before pronouncing me hopeless. If you have reasonable skills and the patience, there are numerous projects on a boat the could make the machine a worthwhile investment -think of everything from sails and sail repair, to biminis, to dodgers, to cushions, to sail covers, and even clothing. If you can produce reasonable quality, in a reasonable time, reliably, there may even be cash from doing it for others. BUT, only if you like doing it and can do it to a decent standard.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:43   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post

My advice would be that if you’ve never sewed, buy second hand, buy cheap and give it a go. If it turns out it’s not your thing nothing much is lost. But it’s great fun if you enjoy craftwork.
I would add one caveat that good advice, have the seller show you that the machine actually sews correctly in the first place.
There's no better way to turn off a newb to sewing than starting out with a machine which is out of tune.
The newb will see bad results and blame themselves every time.

I have an advertisement which says,

Is Sewing a Chore? Maybe it's Your Machine's Fault !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I can't imagine what these projects would cost if I paid someone to do them. But, not in including sewing machine, but including some tools and hardware for our projects, with all the materials purchased we have spent about 500.00 with lots of materials left over for projects we haven't thought of.
A few weeks ago I was comparing prices for finished products, not sails but more like what you've done, vs. material costs and realized the labor was at least 75% of the final cost so that comment really struck home. It comes down to where I want to spend my money. Do I spend the $6K for new covers or do it myself and have $4K left to play?
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
No prior sewing experience. This was a major concern so I bought a Sailrite sewing machine. They have great support of the machine setup and use.
No experience other than my mom showing me once or twice many years so your comments about the Sailrite support is great.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22   #25

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

As a multiskilled trades person, building and construction processes have always been part of my life. I do quality woodworking, metal fabricating, machining, electrical and electronics. Do all my own repairs and maintenence as well as a bit for other people. Sewing was just another skill that I picked up as a young guy. I have had several sewing machines over a long period of time. I bought a new Sailrite Lz1 , 5 years ago and have repaired sails, Bimini tops, put in zippers for other people. A sewing machine is only a good investment if you are the type of person who likes being self sufficient. If you do not change the oil and service your own equipment it would probably not be for you.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Valid view but you have to have the money to back it up. $3,000 is a lot of dough. Doing things yourself IS completely valid now as in the past. Personally I have much more time than money.
For example: we needed a harness to lift our outboard onto the boat. We could have bought one for $50.00 but I made one in less than an hour for nothing. I repurposed webbing that was already on the boat. A small example but illustrates my point.
To add to this, I find that as I age I'm starting to get tired of "stuff." My "wants" are changing and cruising is kind of a symptom of that. I feel like a millenial in some ways where the experiences are becoming more important than the possessions. Becoming more self-sufficient, like making whatever I can make instead of buying it, is part of it as well.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:37   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

At home, I can see it if you like sewing. But once you are cruising...
  • Not for sails. There should only be small repairs, unless you headed out with junk.
  • There should only be small repairs, unless you headed out with junk.Not for dodgers etc.
  • Not for outboard covers. They're pointless. And didn't you get them made at home, if you wanted them? Same with grill covers etc.
In fact, most sailmakers will tell you that a needle an palm is all they need for for most on-board repairs. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't use a machine for years at a time. I don't use the one I have for 5 years at crack, unless I just "feel" like making something. I certainly would not pack it along.

And yes, I know how to sew. I've made sails etc. But I dislike "fussy" projects, and most cruising repairs are faster and stronger with a palm.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
My boat needed a replacement enclosure. I had never sewn a stitch, didn't have a machine, but I convinced myself that I could complete this project....
Sounds like something I would do. Your work looks great. You're a natural!

One episode of "How it's Made" showed a sail being made. It was for a sailing dinghy so not real big but their table was huge and had air holes kind of like an air hockey table to slide the sail around.

Good thinking on the pool table.
Old 04-04-2017, 15:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
I know there's a lot of material involved with a sailboat, but I see so much more about sewing machines here than I expected.

Do alot of you use sewing machines for your own use or do most owners use them for the business of sewing for others?

Once you have your sails (which doesn't really even seem like an onboard job) and covers and what not made, it seems like it wouldn't be a tool you would use much, except for an occasional repair. You could make clothing as well, but again for one or two how much is there to make? Is it common for the more self-reliant cruiser to keep aboard to avoid paying someone to do repairs? Is it a possible income stream while cruising?

I know, a newb question. But I'm a newb.
A year ago I purchased a used sewing industrial machine. The reason was that I often need some small repairs and no one to do them. So now no more waiting. I am getting better at sewing also. The second reason is that I had two complete tops done on different boats and I was not satisfied at the references and the supposedly pros at canvas installations. Since the purchase I also have done many small projects such as compass cover, dash covers, fender covers, wind breaks on sailboats to wrap around the cockpit, cover for my tractor, one for the antique car, the welder, the table saw, the boat winter cover, and a cover for my small boat... next is a wrap around for the carport for the winter... starting to hate shoveling this white stuff up here in Canada...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 15:49   #30

Boat: Kompier Kotter 44

Yes, we have a sewing machine on board. Have for years.
Kudawudashuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine