Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2016, 09:04   #61

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Good news is one does not need a 1.3 mio house to live in a fine place. I just rent places and then go on without the hassle of owning another object.

The same applies to boats. Why buy anything if you can charter in Tonga, Antigua or Crete?

As long as we are free to roam and set up a tent (or charter a boat) in a place we like, then move on ... we are rich!

Nice pictures, rabbit! ;-)
b.
Old 14-04-2016, 09:15   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Good news is one does not need a 1.3 mio house to live in a fine place. I just rent places and then go on without the hassle of owning another object.

The same applies to boats. Why buy anything if you can charter in Tonga, Antigua or Crete?

As long as we are free to roam and set up a tent (or charter a boat) in a place we like, then move on ... we are rich!

Nice pictures, rabbit! ;-)
b.

I feel exactly the same way! Why limit yourself, and why tie yourself down needlessly? Especially for those who like to travel. There are sooo many places to go and experience. Many many places that are wonderful...OUTSIDE THE USA... where the weather is warm, rent is reasonable, the food is good and the people are friendly.

I'm looking forward to retirenment....as well as to chartering in more locations. No need for 4 or 5 star hotels or 7 figure houses to be happy...esp if you have somebody you love to share this lifestyle with. Then you would be BEYOND rich!

As to the prices of waterfront homes in Florida? I've considered this....I've almost bought a couple of times. But now, facing retirement in a few years....I really don't want to tie myself down. Unlike my friend that's happy to die in Deerfield Beach since swallowing the anchor after an 8 year circumnavigation, I haven't found that "special" place yet. I'm still looking....
Old 14-04-2016, 09:19   #63

Boat: Camano Troll

There are places you can live that are inexpensive but they might not be what you want or where you want. Once again, the decisions you made early in life determine what resources you have now and whether you have enough to live where and how you want.

I was pulling out of a gas station the other day and I saw a sign across the street "New Homes starting at $46,000". Presumably, that includes removing the wheels.
Old 14-04-2016, 09:26   #64
vjm

Lots of places like this available:

101 Doolen Court #313, North Palm Beach, FL For Sale | Trulia.com

Not saying it is perfect or perfectly prices, but if you want a home base that is easy to care for and easy to rent while you are away (depending on the building), there are plenty of them.

Of course there are houses costing much more, but that's true of landbound homes too. We also have plenty of homes on canals that are very affordable. You just have to look.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled cranky ranting ...
Old 14-04-2016, 09:50   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You made poor choices. A smart choice is to gain a skill that will be in demand. Doctor, lawyer. plumber, electrician, etc. I would think that would be pretty obvious.
No, I'm a tech type by nature. (manager now) We maintain flight simulators. We have 80 computers running during certain Hops on some of our simulators. (for the visuals, I/O, control loading, motion, and radar)

This after grand theft auto, multiple tickets for speeding/racing, skipping 60 days in 10th grade, being a straight up small scale teenage hoodlum, and so on. Point is, some of us are simply lucky we can fix things which seems to pay a lot these days and that we are very good with math, logic etc

I'm talking about those that are natural artists by nature. There's only big money available for a few of them

Those that have trouble with math but that can write much better than most folks ever will be able to.

Or they can learn to play music very very easily and totally get it. Not just play a crazy guitar to show off.

Looks like your world is a bit limited if you don't know about a whole portion of society and simply rate people on the type job they have and the amount of money they make.

Many of those higher paying jobs you mentioned can turn people into something simple having little to no imagination.....
Old 14-04-2016, 10:52   #66

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
If we pay the $15 an hour.Will the fast food worker finally get our order right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It's not the worker - it's related more to conditions. Those poor bastards making hamburgers are timed. they are allowed to spend 90-100 seconds per order regardless of size. If the time goal is not met then schedules, paychecks, and promotions are affected. Your only choice is go as fast as possible and try your best.
The scenarios that really gum up the works are situations when people say "oh wait did I say no onion..." or a family where the parents are trying to teach their children how to order and interact (please/thank you). Neither of those scenes are people being jerks or doing something wrong but it is a giant wrench in the cogs!
Most workers regardless of education or status would prefer to do a "good job" than a bad job. Most workers like feeling appreciated and earning accomplishments.
The real scary folks are the people that think an accidental onion is equivalent to a lost limb.
Old 14-04-2016, 11:13   #67

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

+1, to thomm and tiki.

If the minimum wage had the same real value as it did in 1970 we wouldn't be where we are now in many ways.

Only instead of 5% owning 95% of all US wealth maybe it would be something around 75%. And the middle class would be disappearing at a slower rate.
Old 14-04-2016, 12:23   #68

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikirawker View Post
It's not the worker - it's related more to conditions. Those poor bastards making hamburgers are timed. they are allowed to spend 90-100 seconds per order regardless of size. If the time goal is not met then schedules, paychecks, and promotions are affected. Your only choice is go as fast as possible and try your best.
The scenarios that really gum up the works are situations when people say "oh wait did I say no onion..." or a family where the parents are trying to teach their children how to order and interact (please/thank you). Neither of those scenes are people being jerks or doing something wrong but it is a giant wrench in the cogs!
Most workers regardless of education or status would prefer to do a "good job" than a bad job. Most workers like feeling appreciated and earning accomplishments.
The real scary folks are the people that think an accidental onion is equivalent to a lost limb.
If your going to do the job that you applied for. Regardless of pressure.I'm mostly talking about fast food.Then be the best and don't complain.You should have made better decisions in life.
I frequent different fast food establishments.But exclusively one chain.Even though there are 3 right by me.I quit going to the closest one.Now I go to the furthest one.Only because the order is always correct.The manager only hires the best people.He is always there and runs a tight ship.I have complimented him many times on the way he runs his business.And believe it or not his people are always nice.

I don't believe fast food wages were ever intended to support a family.Those jobs were to provide for the youth to learn work experience.

These knuckleheads were here in Houston on TV, just this morning.Outside protesting in front of Mc Donalds.Fight for 15 Was their mantra.These folks were all 20 to 30 years old.Give me a break.Luckily the news did stop patrons for interviews.Many folks did not feel sorry for these people.That was refreshing to hear.

I wish I wasn't so poor.Then I would not own a very deadly Hunter sailboat.My keel could fall off at any moment.

Anyway lunch break is over....gotta get back to the grindstone.95000000 Americans are depending on me.

Old 14-04-2016, 16:00   #69

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
If your going to do the job that you applied for. Regardless of pressure.I'm mostly talking about fast food.Then be the best and don't complain.You should have made better decisions in life.
I frequent different fast food establishments.But exclusively one chain.Even though there are 3 right by me.I quit going to the closest one.Now I go to the furthest one.Only because the order is always correct.The manager only hires the best people.He is always there and runs a tight ship.I have complimented him many times on the way he runs his business.And believe it or not his people are always nice.

I don't believe fast food wages were ever intended to support a family.Those jobs were to provide for the youth to learn work experience.

These knuckleheads were here in Houston on TV, just this morning.Outside protesting in front of Mc Donalds.Fight for 15 Was their mantra.These folks were all 20 to 30 years old.Give me a break.Luckily the news did stop patrons for interviews.Many folks did not feel sorry for these people.That was refreshing to hear.

I wish I wasn't so poor.Then I would not own a very deadly Hunter sailboat.My keel could fall off at any moment.

Anyway lunch break is over....gotta get back to the grindstone.95000000 Americans are depending on me.

Did you ever consider the fact that some folks do not get hired in good jobs for reasons out of their control? Regardless of their education and qualifications?

I have hired folks here that were not WASP and have been ridiculed for it from the staff. I was totally shocked, but unfortunately for those that complained, I'm the boss but was new here at the time. They could intimidate the last one...

There are many reason one might work at a fast food restaurant other than lack of education or motivation.

You need to rethink your position................think you could hack it if you were put in the position of working fast food to support your family?

Enjoy your Hunter.............but I doubt you'll get hired to research the best type of cruising boat
Old 14-04-2016, 22:04   #70
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

There's some hard right conservative views being expressed here. Equality of opportunity, which defines options for choice, does not exist. There are so many factors at play, societal, family and so on it is indeed a simplistic view to simply say people made the wrong choices. Without knowing what choices they had to make, their situations and so on it's just hot air really, alienates people and does nothing to make any positive change

Anyway ... my last post on the subject
Old 14-04-2016, 23:10   #71

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

How dare those buffoons not get your order right in 90 seconds! Don't they know who you think you are?
As far as your keel falling off. Since they attracted those jobs to themselves, you attracted a Hunter...hmmm.

https://youtu.be/dYHmQT_7a2c
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-04-2016, 23:38   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I think you need to be careful about labelling artists and telling them they make bad choices or whatever. If you think about what sort of society you want to live in; is it full of capitalists trying to make millions and all that entails? Especially given that a business exists and is legally obliged to create profit for its shareholders ... plenty of corners get cut that make for a poorer society overall.

Or do you want to have museums, galleries, books to read, theatre to go to and so on? If you think that benefits society as a whole, you need to cut artists some slack.
I suggest taking a history class. The Renaissance, arguably the greatest explosion of artistry in history, was driven almost exclusively by evil capitalists. Art didn't make the Medici rich but they sure funded a lot of it.
Old 14-04-2016, 23:45   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikirawker View Post
If only I ever saw that at a fast food place. Reality is if you make anything remotely like an honest effort, you are quickly moved up into management or get hired away. And to a degree that's OK, minimum wage was never intended for career jobs.
Old 14-04-2016, 23:57   #74

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:

app
Interesting comments, I agree many fast food jobs were originally filled by young folk (mostly students) to help give them real world work experience and maybe pay their way thru higher education. Unfortunately, with the recent surge in immigration bringing people from third world countries having very few job skills, it is those folk that now fill those low paying jobs.

I appreciate your desire for top notch service, even at a fast food facility but I'm curious, do you always give the server a 15 or 20% tip for that "better" service? . . . just asking.
Old 15-04-2016, 00:07   #75
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I suggest taking a history class. The Renaissance, arguably the greatest explosion of artistry in history, was driven almost exclusively by evil capitalists. Art didn't make the Medici rich but they sure funded a lot of it.
Leaving aside your condescending initial statement; remember to be nice ... your point doesn't counter mine at all, it simply misconstrues it.

Have a nice weekend.
Closed Thread