Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 10:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
NC to St Augustine delivery

Just starting to plan the delivery of my 'new to me' Irwin 43 from Beaufort, NC to St Augustine, FL. Plan A is all offshore; Plan B is duck into the ICW at some logical point and Plan C is ICW all the way.

Plan A is my favorite - Plan C my least favorite.

Can anyone speak/advise from actual experience regarding Plan A?

I have a pretty wide seasonal window - would like to depart NET July but hope to get it done asap...NLT Oct/Nov.

Appreciate any experienced insight - Thanks!
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 16:16   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: NC to St Augustine delivery

Plan C is my favorite. I enjoy seeing the sights and wildlife and visiting the towns and cities along the AICW. There are plenty of anchorages and plenty of marinas along the way. We are leaving in a week to head from home to FL on the AICW and St. Johns River.

If you like looking at the ocean, have a crew so you can sail straight through, are confident in your ability, have good weather, and are in a hurry just to move the boat, your choice would be plan A.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, also got some good input on sailnet.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Since it's new to you, I wouldn't jump out into open water until I got it shook down, maybe a couple of days in the ICW, then go out?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:33   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

I sailed outside last fall from the Chesapeake. Stopped at Beaufort NC. Left at 5:30 am on the outgoing tide. Motor sailed to charleston where we anchored on the Ashley River across from the Mega dock. Back out to dataw Marina on the Morgan river where we left the boat for a month. Then outside to St. Andrews sound and Jekyll Is which was about a 15 he trip. Watch out for shrimp boats at night in that leg. They don't all transmit AIS. From there to St Augustine is about 12-13 hrs motoring. Do not enter St A inlet at night. Bouys in the channel are not lit.
It is not a bad trip. Plan tides and time to enter inlets in daylight. Nights are hard because of numerous shore lights. Three is better than 2 for overnight watches. IMHO it's easier out side than the ICW and you can still have a few good stops on the way.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:38   #6

Boat: searching for my next one

I've done the ICW from Charleston,SC to Melbourne, FL a few years back - *in January* - brrrr

Lots of shallow spots, the '10 mile Cut' is really narrow if you meet a tug coming the other way, most of middle Georgia has no Marinas, but the trip is beautiful!

You can see photos/day by day log on Welcome to NekkidJoy

CapnJim
nekkidsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 09:28   #7

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
Just starting to plan the delivery of my 'new to me' Irwin 43 from Beaufort, NC to St Augustine, FL. Plan A is all offshore; Plan B is duck into the ICW at some logical point and Plan C is ICW all the way.

Plan A is my favorite - Plan C my least favorite.

Can anyone speak/advise from actual experience regarding Plan A?

I have a pretty wide seasonal window - would like to depart NET July but hope to get it done asap...NLT Oct/Nov.

Appreciate any experienced insight - Thanks!
Done it a few times A;B; and C. depending on weather. Far better to go go A; far quicker and less problems. You're bound to go aground at some point on the ICW, you can only make way in daylight and high tide. Getting those to coordinate means at time you'll only be underway for a couple of hours/day.
With A don't go too far out to avoid the left fork of the Gulf Stream and don't stay too close in, busy shipping. Winds are generally NE giving you a nice broad reach.
I also have an Irwin43 and live in St.Augustine. Give me a call when you arrive if you need help with anything. Actually keep my vessel in Palm Cove Marina, Jacksonville Beaches. ICW. 904-887-6221
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 09:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
Done it a few times A;B; and C. depending on weather. Far better to go go A; far quicker and less problems. You're bound to go aground at some point on the ICW, you can only make way in daylight and high tide. Getting those to coordinate means at time you'll only be underway for a couple of hours/day.
With A don't go too far out to avoid the left fork of the Gulf Stream and don't stay too close in, busy shipping. Winds are generally NE giving you a nice broad reach.
I also have an Irwin43 and live in St.Augustine. Give me a call when you arrive if you need help with anything. Actually keep my vessel in Palm Cove Marina, Jacksonville Beaches. ICW. 904-887-6221
Great info and look forward to meeting you. My A plan is as you said, no planned stops. Lots of good input from everyone for unplanned stops and plans B and C. Planning to slip her at Conch House close to our house.
Old 24-04-2015, 10:09   #9

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
Great info and look forward to meeting you. My A plan is as you said, no planned stops. Lots of good input from everyone for unplanned stops and plans B and C. Planning to slip her at Conch House close to our house.
My wife has a business on Anastasia Island close to the Lighthouse and Conch House Marina. Can fabricate dodgers; biminis, cushions and mattresses; refurbishes upholstery- chairs, settees. Ph. 904-440-3443.
We live close to Comanche Cove Marina.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 13:24   #10

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Did a Ft. Pierce to Wilmington. Stayed inside the gulfstream, approximately 4 to 12 miles off shore. Pulled in each evening to anchor. No wind, had to motor mostly, but was nice to have happy hour every night. Also had cell service. Sometimes the ICW gets busy.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 14:01   #11

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

My goodness, if you really have never made that run you need to get some cruising guides and start reading. For example, there are shallow spots just north and south of Charleston where you will want tide help and and after some study I doubt you will want anything to do with the Gerogia AICW section. Plan on the outside for that leg. Good luck. Joe
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:50   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcruiser View Post
My goodness, if you really have never made that run you need to get some cruising guides and start reading. For example, there are shallow spots just north and south of Charleston where you will want tide help and and after some study I doubt you will want anything to do with the Gerogia AICW section. Plan on the outside for that leg. Good luck. Joe
Thousands of recreational and commercial boats make the journey north and south on the AICW every year. Sailboats and power boats. You need an air draft under 65 feet. There are spots where a deep draft vessel has to work the tides. It's entirely doable and as above is done often.
Old 24-04-2015, 19:11   #13

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

If you're offshore and decide to enter the AICW on the lower Ga. coast, St. Simons Channel is well marked day and night, and is much better than St. Andrews inlet. You'll have to watch the tides and traverse Jekyll Creek behind Jekyll Island on high tide. The water's pretty thin there on low tide.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 22:57   #14

Ahoy,

To avoid the Frying Pan shoals of Cape Fear, if the wide easterly tack out is too adventurous for you, a nice cruise down the ICWW to Wilmington will allow you to enjoy some awesome shorelines, marinas and people, and help you prepare for a short but fun offshore passage southward. At Wilmington, head out the Cape Fear River mouth and turn south toward Saint Augustine. The wind will likely be real, yet perhaps to the bow. So decide if tacking practice is your experience opportunity. Or if in a hurry, if you don't mind motoring, you will at least connect with the offshore. Don't box yourself in timewise in late summer and fall when hurricane season prevails over all.

Peace!
Windwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 06:16   #15
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, will be back with updates. Survey next week and should close by end of May.

Tags
delivery