Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
This thing about children keeps coming up but until kids have been taught by inhibited adults to keep their dirty parts covered up they are the least bothered by others being naked. I'm actually not much different than you in that I am quite modest and will not go naked unless I'm at sea or in a private area but I have no problem whats so ever with others going naked nor would I be the least bit worried about my children. This whole naked thing is religious based fear and its really too bad that we can't get over it.
Spot on.

Children learn to be upset from their parents. These same kids used to rip off their diaper and run around a grocery store butt ass naked without a care in the world.

The underlying problem is what another stated before, the inability to separate nudity from sexuality. That inability is either from religious dogma, or subconscious sexual repression or inadequacy.

This is the same reason that women can't feed their babies in public with out being mocked or hiding in the shadows. Which is a whole different travesty.

You'd be hard pressed to find something so naturally human as nudity on the entire planet. When it comes to my fellow countryman, I'm eternally embarrassed at the perverted moral stigma that nudity is a bad thing. I thought we moved away from Puritanism when women got the right to be human beings too.

If I don't want to see a 65 year old Greek man pulling up an anchor stark naked, there are 355 separate degrees of viewing area I can choose to see.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40   #77

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

If you don't want to go nude, that's fine , that's your POV. But I see no reason to impose your moral view ( and its clearly a moral ) view on others. There is certainly unsuitable places to be nude, but swinging at anchor in a med bay is not one of them and is fairly common behaviour. Top less is extremely common , should everyone cover up when you approach , do all men put on their shirts when youre around.

By all means do as you feel comfortable to do , but don't enforce your morality on others.

Dave
How do you function in normal society with that kind of mind set? At some point your going to force your morality on someone else. Your neighbor who steals from you or you coworker who is cheating you out of a promotion etc. it's a slipper slope to ask who are you to impose morality on me. "Excuse me neighbor if you don't want me taking your nice things don't leave then where I can see them other wise don't force you morality about possessions on me!"
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Naked sailing!

it is parents who form kids minds about moral standards and what is allegedly acceptable--to the parents. kids dont care until they are told to care, and guess who does that....
what other souls do on their own property is of no concern to others and the nosy bodies should stfu, thankyou. is only polite.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
And what is acceptable to you may not be to others. I know my wife got sick of three males on the boat next to us exercising naked on deck each day and spending all their time naked.
I was not trying to insist that the people next to you were in a place where that was acceptable. I was only saying that what is acceptable varies with location.

Regards,
Jim
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12   #80
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Don't know the best way to phrase this. but i am a private nudist, if you know what i mean, when on deck i wear a pair of hot pink shorts, or a pair of boxers. i respect others rights to look at my yacht without seeing my man parts.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26   #81
cruiser

Quote:
And what is acceptable to you may not be to others. I know my wife got sick of three males on the boat next to us exercising naked on deck each day and spending all their time naked.
There is a big sea out there where you can do exactly as you like..we do but we try to show consideration for others when anchoring in a small bay where others and children are.
It's difficult for me to understand that you cruised the Med for four months and found this behavior out of the ordinary? My wife and I witnessed the nudity every day and enjoyed the freedom and fun.... really, how could you be surprised by something so common on boats and beaches?

Of course in these places, it's just as illegal to do the same thing in a public place like walking downtown through the streets, but on a beach or boat? Hey, the natives in these parts grew up running around on the beach naked... it's normal behavior in the Med. Nobody gives it any thought.... 'just people out having fun. Jeez..... 75% of the cruisers take their daily shower or rinse-off on the stern platform of their boat.

Next question: Was your windlass broken? If you were so offended, why didn't you change locations?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54   #82
cruiser

Boat: crabber pillot cuter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

One of the all time great works of art is Rodin's "The Old Courtesan"... (The Old Woman).
Defining the courtesan basically comes down to this: "a prostitute with a courtly, wealthy, or upper-class clientele."

"The Old Courtesan"... (The Old Prostitute).
crabber30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34   #83

Boat: Valiant 42
Yet another thread with way too much information...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38   #84

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

You're only a click away from not reading it.

This reminds me of the people on a boat just off a nude beach who, when viewing the people on said beach with binoculars were offended. Geesh.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38   #85

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's difficult for me to understand that you cruised the Med for four months and found this behavior out of the ordinary? My wife and I witnessed the nudity every day and enjoyed the freedom and fun.... really, how could you be surprised by something so common on boats and beaches?

Of course in these places, it's just as illegal to do the same thing in a public place like walking downtown through the streets, but on a beach or boat? Hey, the natives in these parts grew up running around on the beach naked... it's normal behavior in the Med. Nobody gives it any thought.... 'just people out having fun. Jeez..... 75% of the cruisers take their daily shower or rinse-off on the stern platform of their boat.

Next question: Was your windlass broken? If you were so offended, why didn't you change locations?
Yes we did see it every day but my point was not so much the nudity..more the appropriateness of it. showering on the stern is something that everybody did but 3 men anchored too close and exercising on deck all the time was just not appropriate... it became exhibitionism rather than the done thing..
I may be a bit over the top on this but I spent far to many years working with sexually abused children and the perpetrators...
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Yes we did see it every day but my point was not so much the nudity..more the appropriateness of it. showering on the stern is something that everybody did but 3 men anchored too close and exercising on deck all the time was just not appropriate... it became exhibitionism rather than the done thing.. I may be a bit over the top on this but I spent far to many years working with sexually abused children and the perpetrators...
With all due respect, I think you have a big problem.......
Old 08-10-2013, 09:08   #87

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
my point was not so much the nudity..more the appropriateness of it.
From post #1 it's would appear to be the nudity. Specifically male nudity and not female nudity. You seem so concerned by nudity that you post about it on multiple forums. In other posts on the ybw site you've made complaints about German men being nude, French men being nude, but the Dutch woman was OK. as were the "three gorgeous girls" (nationality unspecified) dancing about on the foredeck of a boat in the levkas canal, which kinda sounds more like exhibitionism than simply doing morning exercises on a boat.

You are Sid James in Carry on Camping and I claim my £5
Edit: hmm.. maybe that should have been "Carry on Abroad" but I can't really remember that one (and seem to remember it wasn't very good)
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22   #88

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Interesting replies on this thread. I wonder if all those who think it is normal to wander about the boat naked would do the same in their front gardens in front of neighbours and those passing by... I doubt it so why does a boat make a difference?
To me the boat doesn't make a difference. The law might. In some countries it's perfectly legal to be nude on ones own property even where others can see you.

You see, consideration goes both ways. I object to swimsuits, yet I won't require of you to disprove when in the same bay as I am...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
From post #1 it's would appear to be the nudity. Specifically male nudity and not female nudity. You seem so concerned by nudity that you post about it on multiple forums. In other posts on the ybw site you've made complaints about German men being nude, French men being nude, but the Dutch woman was OK. as were the "three gorgeous girls" (nationality unspecified) dancing about on the foredeck of a boat in the levkas canal, which kinda sounds more like exhibitionism than simply doing morning exercises on a boat. You are Sid James in Carry on Camping and I claim my £5 Edit: hmm.. maybe that should have been "Carry on Abroad" but I can't really remember that one (and seem to remember it wasn't very good)
This is why it's obvious it's not nudity, but sexuality. There is something that the OP feels is wrong with naked men, but not naked women. And surely it's not the fear of male sexual predators. Women prey as well.

Let's all keep in mind that countries that can separate nudity from sexuality have a drastically far lower number of sexual assault on anyone then, say, overtly religious nations imposing moral standards on nudity, like Afghanistan, Iran, Somalia and the US.

There is no argument behind "because that child over there can see naked men, those naked men will assault that child." It's a logical fallacy.

Being in the Med, chances are those children are also European and therefore don't see a problem with it. If not, it would be the prerogative of the children's parents to move, if they felt the need. Nothing like that seemed to be the case.

So this all boils down to the fact that the OP has a moral objection to naked men and wishes to impose that morality on other people rather than a) ask them to cover up a bit more, b) find out if it really is a problem for the parents of children around or c) (the damned easiest and really the only one the OP really has a right to) leave.

360degrees of viewing angles and some people only want to focus on 1degree.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29   #90

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Would you wear a bikini to church?
There are for certain churches that allow that. I know that church services for nudists exist too. Come to think of it, nude is probably the most appropriate dress for a church service...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing