Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48   #1

Boat: 1989 Cabo Rico 34
Mystic Stainless Foldaway Ladders

We're considering buying a Mystic Stainless Foldaway ladder. It would be a 3- section ladder attached to the genoa track. They look like great ladders and I've read good things but nobody has commented on deploying or retrieving them. It looks to me like it could be a bit of a hassle. Is there someone out there who owns one or who has used one who can comment on this? I t would be much appreciated.

Ron
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Mystic Stainless Foldaway Ladders

I had one on the last boat (CSY 33) and a Cabo Rico 34 would be a good reason to have one. They fold up easy enough and stow in the life lines. Using the appropriate sail track fittings make it easier or you could add permanent fittings. I used a cord to tie it up in the center and it folds down and sleeves slide down to lock the sections into a stiff ladder. You pull those up as you fold the ladder so it bends easily.

They cost a LOT. Get the synthenic steps installed. Ours sat on the rail for 5 years in the weather and looked new when I sold to a CF member. The entire ladder and all the parts are 100% 316 stainless. A lot of really crappy ladders can be had in 304 or 303 Stainless and if you are not on freshwater are a waste of money. The Mysic products are really made nice and the welds are nice and smooth. These guys really are pros. They make a ton of money doing custom fly bridges and these they sort of make on the side as a stock item.

I bought because the freeboard was so high and the rear ladder was blocked by the dink on davits. If I went over I don't think I had any way to get back on. Our current Gozzard has a whole nother boarding idea I like even better. The transom opens up and folds down making a platform 2 inches off the water with a fold down two step ladder. It isn't something you could retrofit into any boat. I would not have sold the ladder otherwise.

NOTE: you need two steps under the water to easily climb a ladder. You may need to saw off the standoffs depending on the distance away from the boat you need the ladder to hang vertical without swinging into the boat. They come perhaps too long so that is a good thing. You use white 1 inch rubber "chair tips". Buy a bunch as they don't last long. Rubber ain't stainless steel It's the only part that needs service. I just sprayed off the ladder whenever I did the rest of the boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Ron, I'm sure the Mystic is good, but we recently installed a ladder made by Scandia Marine Products. They're a small manufacturer in Minnesota. Check them out.

Ours is installed on the port, attached to the genoa track. It is very stable when pulled out, retracts so is completely out of the way, and can be deployed by someone in the water which makes it a great emergency ladder as well.

Not affiliated in any way, just extremely pleased.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:16   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi

+1 for the mystic, got one on our hans christian 41. Very easy to use and stow. We live onboard and use it every day , it is just one of those things that makes life easier and does what it is supposed to do!

No hesitation in recommending

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
We're considering buying a Mystic Stainless Foldaway ladder. It would be a 3- section ladder attached to the genoa track. They look like great ladders and I've read good things but nobody has commented on deploying or retrieving them. It looks to me like it could be a bit of a hassle. Is there someone out there who owns one or who has used one who can comment on this? I t would be much appreciated.

Ron

Can it be deployed from the water? I know a man who is only alive because the ladder on the boat he tried to get on was rigged so it could be deployed from the water.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I do not have the Mystic Stainless Foldaway Ladder, But I do have a Mystic Stainless stern rail, tilting solar panel and hard bimini that they made me.
They are easy to work with and do outstanding SS work.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:53   #7

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I'm buying a Mystic ladder. A couple more questions. Do I get some input into standoff location and length? If so, where should they be located? We've had boarding ladders where the rungs were wrapped in 3-strand nylon to give a decent grip but have only used in fresh water. Do you think this would be a decent alternative to the synthetic steps?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:04   #8

I've had mine for about 15 years. They were expensive even then, but I can tell you I've never regretted spending the money. The quality is excellent and they make getting back aboard a breeze. I wish all of my purchases for the boat worked out so well.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Synthetic steps would be the way to go from the pictures I see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystic steps.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	60595  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:10   #10

Agreed on synthetic versus teak. I already have too much teak to feel guilty about....
Old 09-05-2013, 11:15   #11

Boat: Cape George 34
Depending on how high your freeboard is, I would see if you can get away with a two section ladder, if you're going with Mystic. I've had both a two and a three and I think the two section is much more manageable in terms of deploying and retrieving and, of course, will cost less.
SaltyBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:53   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyBard View Post
Depending on how high your freeboard is, I would see if you can get away with a two section ladder, if you're going with Mystic. I've had both a two and a three and I think the two section is much more manageable in terms of deploying and retrieving and, of course, will cost less.

It will be cheaper, but that second step in the water will make all the difference, especially if someone is tired or injured.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14   #13

Boat: Morgan 452
We have one on our 1978 Morgan 452. It replaced a folding ladder off the stern.

I agree with everything above. We have a gate in the lifelines just aft of the center cockpit and it fits in the gate. I tie it in and it replaces the gate itself. I could make it a slippery knot and have it drop down.
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It will be cheaper, but that second step in the water will make all the difference, especially if someone is tired or injured.
This is great advice from Raku. If you buy a ladder that's too short, you will end up with a high quality ladder that you'll hate because it's so short it's hard to get back aboard. Spend the dough and do it right. (even the two section is apt to be pretty pricy as well).
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:31   #15

The boarding ladder on our San Juan 28 was on the short side and it was difficult to use. We won't let a few dollars get in the way of doing the right thing and getting a useable ladder. That being said, if a two section ladder is long enough then great. I'm not sure if the ladders are custom made but if they are, our stanchions are 30" tall so we should be able to have a 60" two section ladder. I'm guessing that we have 36" of freeboard so would have 24" under water. I'm not sure that's enough.