Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48   #91

Re: Monohull sailboat size for shorthanded cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
At the risk of hurting your feelings again, I'll answer your Rhetorical question with my own questions:

Why do people have more than one restroom in their homes?

Should single people or couples living in homes or apartments be limited to only one bathroom?

Why are some people with one bathroom bothered by people who have two bathrooms?

Why do some people have larger homes when a smaller home is fine for most?

What do people store in those larger homes that requires them to have so much space?

Luxury and because they can afford it.... there is no logical reason to have more than you need. At some point it becomes vulgar and it's call conspicuous consumption. People with more money than they need will find ways to spend it... and people will rise to the occasion and provide those things.

In a home where there are children and often guests it makes sense to have several bathrooms if one can... because people tend to use this at the same time... same with bedrooms... we only sleep 8 hrs and could hot bunk in a house.... but this is really silly. It's not on small boats with large crews.

Don't worry, you are not hurting my feelings... but thank you for caring.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:50   #92

Quote:
To answer the original question presented by the OP. Bigger is better and more comfortable up until around 65ft on a sailboat. Beyond that, crew is usually required on most sailboats because things onboard like the sails begin to get too heavy for one or two people to lift. Other than the size and weight of objects on board, there is no downside. A gulper pump, water supply pump, toilet, macerator pump, basically most all of the stuff that breaks down on sailboats costs the same whether it's on a thirty footer or a sixty footer.

It's not like you go down to the parts house and say, "I have a thirty foot sailboat, how much does this cost?" And the guy sells it to you for less than the fellow with the sixty footer.... It's the same price.
I doubt you can lift the sail on a 55' boat without mechanical advantage...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53   #93

Costs rise exponentially with the size of your boat, don't be fooled into believing otherwise
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I doubt you can lift the sail on a 55' boat without mechanical advantage...
Wrong again Sir,

Read my thread about "what to do with a used mainsail" posted just last week, where you'll see that I had no trouble going up a 14 ft extension ladder myself with the sail after folding it into a "brick" all by myself. The sail is a 12 inch tube 40 inches long weighing 70-80 pounds. I'm 59 yrs and 160 pounds. Then I brought it through the companionway, down the ladder and stored it in an interior locker all by myself.

Again please keep in mind, "just because you can't do something, that doesn't mean other people can't do it." Please don't project your own limitations onto other people.

On a 65ft boat, no I definitely wouldn't be able to lift the sail.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-166738.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	125318  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:17   #95
cruiser

The sowed "bricked" mainsail for a 54ft boat done without help by yours truly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	125319  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20   #96

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
This is obviously a personal choice but to get back to the OP's situation, we found that in the Caribbean our 45' was about average size. Way off the grid in the Pacific or Indian Ocean where boats were doing a RTW trip the average size was more like 40'.
Thanks AiniA. I've seen this quoted many times by those who are cruising beyond the Med or the Caribbean. In my neck of the woods it is also true mid 30s to mid 40s dominate. I'd love to see actual data on the question.

Quote:
Only in modern day America do people have this bass-ackwards notion that less is better, and somehow it's more noble to be crapping in a bucket.
OK, I like you Ken, but you certainly live in a weird world at times. This statement is simple poppycock (and I don't use the "p" word lightly). In the land that elevated conspicuous consumption to the level of religion, the statement that modern Americans (or Canadians) are leading the charge to modest living standards is just plain silly. And you really have to get over this composting head fetish of yours .

Yes, you're right. The cost of a pump is the same for a 37 footer and a 55 footer. The point you miss is that the 55 footer will need a lot more ... of everything. More pumps, more maintenance, more costs. It's really pretty simple.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:26   #97
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Only in modern day America do people have this bass-ackwards notion that less is better, and somehow it's more noble to be crapping in a bucket.
It's not an America thing. It's definitely an internet forum thing where most people own a 25+ year old boat that is less than 35'.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks AiniA. I've seen this quoted many times by those who are cruising beyond the Med or the Caribbean. In my neck of the woods it is also true mid 30s to mid 40s dominate. I'd love to see actual data on the question.

OK, I like you Ken, but you certainly live in a weird world at times. This statement is simple poppycock (and I don't use the "p" word lightly). In the land that elevated conspicuous consumption to the level of religion, the statement that modern Americans (or Canadians) are leading the charge to modest living standards is just plain silly. And you really have to get over this composting head fetish of yours .

Yes, you're right. The cost of a pump is the same for a 37 footer and a 55 footer. The point you miss is that the 55 footer will need a lot more ... of everything. More pumps, more maintenance, more costs. It's really pretty simple.
Mike I intensionally wrote "crapping in a bucket" so that my statement wouldn't be confused with those people using a "composting toilet." Please don't take things so personally.

I really couldn't care any less if someone wants to install a composting head, and like I've written many times, the C-Head seems to be a high quality item and that it makes perfect sense to use one in a cabin or on a boat being used on inland waterways. But where the composting head crowd looses me, is when they start advocating it's use everywhere and trying to make converts out of people like me, who simple don't need or want one. Then it becomes like a composting religion.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30   #99

Quote:
Again please keep in mind, "just because you can't do something, that doesn't mean other people can't do it." Please don't project your own limitations onto other people.

On a 65ft boat, no I definitely wouldn't be able to lift the sail.
But equally, just b/c you can do something doesn't mean everyone else can. Just b/c a brain surgeon can do brain surgery doesn't mean everyone can. Come on... silly argument buddy.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:35   #100

Quote:
Mike I intensionally wrote "crapping in a bucket" so that my statement wouldn't be confused with those people using a "composting toilet." Please don't take things so personally.
Actually, I was trying to make a joke. Ah well, better stick to my day job ... oh wait, I don't have one .
Old 01-06-2016, 06:35   #101
CLOD

Boat: none

Far as size of boats go we are talking cruising, not sailing. The average size of boats in ones home port means little.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:39   #102

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

For the OP's question, I have seen in this thread and in various lectures, blogs and discussions and arrived at the ~45' sweet spot.

Individual boat design, layout and systems will create variations, so a 42 footer might have more stowage and useable space than say a 46 footer that might be very slim and thin in places. Still the range feels the place to look and where we landed.

The more time we spend the more I realize that the size is just right for a couple to live in comfort and take on another couple as guests and perhaps two extra singles. We were out in our cutter rigged sloop in 20 knot winds Saturday and sailed most of the day under main and staysail only. We did unfurl the yankee a few times in lighter winds. For the most part I handled the boat myself and never once felt overpowered or the need to use an electric winch. That said, our boat was set up for and designed as a live aboard to single hand. Less to do with its size and more in design.

IMHO - two heads are better than one when you are out there, if one breaks, you still have the other, it's like having two auto pilots. Spares and backups are pretty key, knowing how to get by and fix things can be critical at times.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:52   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's not an America thing. It's definitely an internet forum thing where most people own a 25+ year old boat that is less than 35'.
Yeah, I think you're right.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:58   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Actually, I was trying to make a joke. Ah well, better stick to my day job ... oh wait, I don't have one .
Mike,

This one just posted moments ago, quick another emergency!

Composting Head Bug Problems - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 01-06-2016, 07:52   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Far as size of boats go we are talking cruising, not sailing. The average size of boats in ones home port means little.
Sailorboy,

Ever since you quit your job, it's like the two of us did some sort of Vulcan mind meld. We're like agreeing on everything.

It's like, you write stuff as I'm thinking it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	125323  

Tags
cruising, hull, monohull, sail, sailboat, size