Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 16:08   #16

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Re: Man Overboard Pole And Stuff

Watch this...
Old 29-12-2016, 16:33   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I thought I had this MOB subject licked with new Garmin Auto Pilot, chart plotter and WRIST WATCH CONTROLLER. They have a Garmin wrist watch that you can use to call your Auto Pilot and DRIVE THE BOAT BACK TO YOU WITH THE WATCH!!!!

Problem is, my wife said it won't work after she turns the chart plotter and auto pilot - OFF!! Thought I was getting somewhere, but she wins again, particularly since I'm worth more dead than alive.
Sorry, but Wifi and bluetooth don't work underwater or beyond about 20ft on a boat. Nice try.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 16:34   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
Watch this...
Very interesting.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:02   #19

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

An AIS beacon with DSC is a great thing for near-coastal.

I picked up one of these earlier this year. MOB1 - Ocean Signal It sells for low $200's. It'll alert all DSC-equipped boats in the area with GPS coordinates, and put a mark on the chart for boats that have AIS displayed on the Chart Plotter. If you've ever received a DSC distress call you know it gets attention.

It's smaller than most compact flashlights and attaches to an inflatable life vest. I also carry a waterproof DSC/GPS handheld VHF on my belt when I leave the cockpit.

I figure I'm a dead man if I go overboard unless I can get rescued, and the Admiral is good crew but she's intimidated by taking command, especially if conditions are strong. She knows how to drop sails and start the motor but I need to be able to talk her through my rescue.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 17:09   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
An AIS beacon with DSC is a great thing for near-coastal.

I picked up one of these earlier this year. MOB1 - Ocean Signal It sells for low $200's. It'll alert all DSC-equipped boats in the area with GPS coordinates, and put a mark on the chart for boats that have AIS displayed on the Chart Plotter. If you've ever received a DSC distress call you know it gets attention.

It's smaller than most compact flashlights and attaches to an inflatable life vest. I also carry a waterproof DSC/GPS handheld VHF on my belt when I leave the cockpit.

I figure I'm a dead man if I go overboard unless I can get rescued, and the Admiral is good crew but she's intimidated by taking command, especially if conditions are strong. She knows how to drop sails and start the motor but I need to be able to talk her through my rescue.
Dropping the sails is a waste of valuable time, and impossible to do singlehanded while trying to keep an eye on the MOB which happens to be you.

Learn to do recovery without touching the sails, by simply turning into the wind and letting the jib backwind. Then steer a course to encircle the MOB which happens to be you.... KISS (Keep it simple stupid). People get stupid in panic mode.

Your wife needs to know how to do a rescue automatically which only comes with practice. Practice on an old fender, if she can rescue a fender, she can rescue you.

By the time your wife figures out all of your electronic rescue gizmos in a MOB situation and the other boats pick up your signal AND ACTUALLY ARRIVE at the scene.... you'll be dead. Then it'll just be up to the Coast Guard to recover your body.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:26   #21

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dropping the sails is a waste of valuable time, and impossible to do singlehanded while trying to keep an eye on the MOB which happens to be you.

Learn to do recovery without touching the sails, by simply turning into the wind and letting the jib backwind. Then steer a course to encircle the MOB which happens to be you.... KISS (Keep it simple stupid). People get stupid in panic mode.

Your wife needs to know how to do a rescue automatically which only comes with practice. Practice on an old fender, if she can rescue a fender, she can rescue you.

By the time your wife figures out all of your electronic rescue gizmos in a MOB situation and the other boats pick up your signal AND ACTUALLY ARRIVE at the scene.... you'll be dead. Then it'll just be up to the Coast Guard to recover your body.
I don't know what you're sailing, but I sail a light responsive 12 meter trimaran and retrieving a MOB under sail would not be practical for a shorthanded crew of one frightened woman. Especially in strong winds. You can take your textbook generalizing and pontificate to someone else. I've been sailing 45 years and tris for the last 15 years.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 17:29   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

I never cease to be amazed by the number of skippers who put their spouses in such a precarious position as to be left alone in the boat at sea, and incompetent to sail it to safety (let alone return and pick them up should they fall overboard).

Our goal is and has always been for each of us to be able to single hand the boat in any conditions we are likely to encounter. This is for our personal safety (so our spouse likely to be able to perform a successful MOB) and the others safety (so if they are alone on the boat for whatever reason, they're not screwed too).
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 17:31   #23

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Three years ago we put a new MOB pole on our stern. One late afternoon on our next passage, heading downwind with a prevented-out main, the pole holder breaks and the pole goes swimming. We searched for about 45 minutes until it got dark and still couldn't find and recover the pole. If it were a crew member i wouldnt have given up and wouldve attempted to radio for assistance, but the result may have been the same.

I tell my crew that their most important job is staying on-board.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 17:34   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I never cease to be amazed by the number of skippers who put their spouses in such a precarious position as to be left alone in the boat at sea, and incompetent to sail it to safety (let alone return and pick them up should they fall overboard).

Our goal is and has always been for each of us to be able to single hand the boat in any conditions we are likely to encounter. This is for our personal safety (so our spouse likely to be able to perform a successful MOB) and the others safety (so if they are alone on the boat for whatever reason, they're not screwed too).
RambinRod,

We're agreeing on everything these past few days.... I need to pinch myself, nope I'm not dreamin'.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:41   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I don't know what you're sailing, but I sail a light responsive 12 meter trimaran and retrieving a MOB under sail would not be practical for a shorthanded crew of one frightened woman. Especially in strong winds. You can take your textbook generalizing and pontificate to someone else. I've been sailing 45 years and tris for the last 15 years.
Not generalizing and not textbook. I've actually been in the situation before, conducted a successful singlehanded rescue, and my wife has demonstrated many times (twice annually), that she can do the same.

Just because YOU can't do something, doesn't mean other folks can't do the same task.

So what would you do in a MOB situation? Instead of critizing a successful method, why not offer up some useful advice.

I'm waiting...
Old 29-12-2016, 18:16   #26

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

When we teach MOB drills (in Sea Rescue or teaching for skipper’s ticket), we use a partly water filled 4 lt container, and that provides a similar size and colour as a human head.
In perfect flat water, recovery is generally fast and easy, in a chop or large swell, we often loose the container, in adverse conditions or at night we virtually never find it.

A danbuoy (with light!!) makes so much more sense.

Once looking for a lost diver, we could not find him, despite being a bright sunny day, with seas of not more than 1 to 1.5 mt and having accurate GPS coordinates, where the dive started. In our search we went passed him within 25-30 mt, and did not see him. He was found and rescued when we called for more help from other boats. A safety sausage (as in photo) would have effected a rescue an hour earlier. It serves the same purpose as a danbuoy I guess.
Apart from life-sling and a dedicated block and tackle, I carry a MOM-9 (by Switlik) mounted on the rail next to the cockpit, pull one pin and it launches.

As mentioned before here, AIS transmitter on each crew is pretty good, maybe even the ultimate, but not every boat has an AIS receiver. When googling I found this, but there are many other suppliers as well.
AIS MOB Devices

Nevertheless….. the first aim is to stay on board!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diverbuoy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	138659  
Old 29-12-2016, 20:21   #27

Boat: Herman Boro 50Ft

A couple of suggestions, nothing mentioned about night time man overboard,
On my boat we have a couple of Everyready Dolphin waterproof torches just for this occasion always in the cockpit ready to throw overboard, first job followed by MOB, and all other flotation devices. If the boat is sailing close hauled and wind is 10 to 15 knots ( depending on the boat) you can tack the boat but not touch the sheets and you can steer the boat in reverse and bring your man overboard along side the windward side. The boat takes about 3 to 4 boat lengthes to stop before slowly moving backwards. The boat is literally heaved to.
Heaver weather do the normal figure of eight and the life sling.
Just be aware not to back over the man in the water. The lifting gear is then deployed.
Never attempt to lift or rescue a person from stern of the boat, as the boat will come down and crush his skull. Heaver weather do the normal figure of eight and the life sling. Also a note to mention we rescued a guy who haad fallen off his boat and the Life sling was very hard for my wife to remove from the bag and it was newly packed. It must be firmly tied down on the bottom corners when fitted to staunchions
PLan Plan Plan and hope you dont have to use anything.
rosco4271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 21:23   #28

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
My wife had a simple answer to a superyacht skipper who asked her what she would do. "Jump over after him I suppose."
At our age in cold water its not such a stupid option you know. If you know this is your No 1 solution you will likely take more care with your tethers and jacklines.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 21:37   #29

Boat: between boats

You do all have a strobe fitted onto your PFD, right? And test it regularly, maybe each day before dark?

https://www.amazon.com/UST-Marine-Se...WBNPE8459EJQCZ

Although after seeing this, looks like it's time for an upgrade
http://oceansignal.com/products/mob1/
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 21:45   #30

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Once looking for a lost diver, we could not find him, despite being a bright sunny day, with seas of not more than 1 to 1.5 mt and having accurate GPS coordinates, where the dive started. In our search we went passed him within 25-30 mt, and did not see him. He was found and rescued when we called for more help from other boats. A safety sausage (as in photo) would have effected a rescue an hour earlier. It serves the same purpose as a danbuoy I guess.
I use a safety sausage when diving. Didn't originally, but due to the strong currents in Palau the operators there provided them and I was hooked. It's also used for ascending to the surface so that boats are alerted that you're there below the surface and they wont drive over you. I have mine on a 75' reel so that I can set it off from way down below. Shining a torch on the sausage really lights it up well so it can be seen from a distance.

- Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard