Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 06:58   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Making your own water-maker

You came to the same conclusion, using the same reasoning, as us when we decided to get a new watermaker.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 07:13   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Plus resale value on a boat with a professionally built,known watermaker is a little better. A a homegrown system with unknown lines, wires, pumps, that are just strewn about can actually devalue a boat.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 07:53   #18

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I actually built my own water maker because I could source components that are of far better quality then most manufactures . When I see watermakers at boat shows I shiver . Some of the connects/ pumps/ filters /switches /hoses........ I really would not want to rely on. I built my own and over sized everything, from off the shelf parts . I know and understand it . If it breaks which I don't think it ever will I can fix it myself with spares that i have on board .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 08:30   #19

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

Typhoon will you please post a list of parts and sources to help that are thinking of building their own watermaker
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:24   #20

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I'm not recommending one brand over another, but one of the things I like about our watermaker (a SeaRecovery )-- which would be true about a DIY or about some of the commercial units -- is that it is comprised of many separate pieces that can live in different places around the boat. Our controller and membrane are in one place; the booster pump, another; the high pressure pump, another; the pre-filters and charcoal filter are in another. I suggest keeping this in mind as you make your selection.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:35   #21

I've done it twice but with a proper saltwater pump. The key may be if your pump lasts long enough in salt water. Does a pressure water pump pass any oil? that would ruin a membrane.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:29   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

I looked into the home built engine driven thing a few years ago and with a Cat pump with SS water end and electric clutch and a SS pressure regulating valve and fairly large capacity membranes the cost worked out about 1/3 of a similar capacity commercial unit and I had complete component placement flexibility with the home built.

Another advantage with the home built is that in acquiring the parts you are aware of the supplier for spares which can be a bit of a headache with some professionally built units and you learn how the system works.

I did not build my own as I lucked onto a used Katadyne Survivor Pro and really only needed a water maker because I was going to fairly waterless places and wanted the backup ability. However, if you have the technical skills the DIY approach is a good route to go. I have met a couple of cruisers who built their own and thay were very satisfied with the result.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:36   #23

Yes , one of my home built was made from a 120V AC unit that had a Cat pump on it. I bought a new electric clutch and engine mounted it. Removed all the fancy trouble prone bells and whistles.
If you run across a used 120V AC unit it can be a bargain. they are big and heavy due to the 1.5 HP or larger AC motor etc. But you don't need that. Thus don't resell well and go cheap. Think "Motor yacht repair facility"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water