Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 11:11   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Loop from Florida, Cuba, Belize, Cancun, and then to Galveston

I did the search and nothing pops up. I retire next July...not pertinent. I have a trailerable 30 foot Condor trimaran and a 1 ton dually Chevy diesel flatbed.

One of the plans i am entertaining is to drive down to San Carlos Mexico and pick my boat up sometime in November of 2019. Drive to Florida, assemble, launch, and store my trailer and truck at someplace like the Finnish Line in Stuart. Sail down to the Keys, cross over to the Bahamas and head south from there. I would like to get down to the southern coast of Cuba. Cross over to the Caymans and then on to Belize and do the atolls off shore. Then on to Cancun. Then to Galveston and catch a flight back to Lauderdale and pick up truck and trailer.

With Google Maps, right click, and then measure distance option....Looks like about 200 miles from Manzanillo, Cuba to Little Cayman. Anyone been to Manzanillo? How is provisioning for food? I think i will be pretty depleted for food after a month on the south side of Cuba. Looks like a nice down hill run from Manzanillo to Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. Anyone got something to say about Blossum Village on Little Cayman?

2. Then onto Georgetown on Grand Cayman. Clean her up a bit and more food stores and repairs. Is food provisioning crazy expensive on G. Cayman?

3. Leg three...Grand Cayman to the atolls off of Belize. Do I have to sail over to the mainland and check in before visiting Turneffe atoll and Light House Cay? Watched an excellent video posted up by Sailing Project Atticus on the atoll. Good kids. All downhill sailing so far? About 200 miles.

4. Belize to Cancun...260 miles of beam reaching. Anyone sailed Banco Chinchorro area on your way north to Cancun? Looks like there are plenty of places to hide if weather goes nasty? Any recommendations for sailing guides to this area? I love a good guide.

5.Cancun to Texas...here is where i get a little dazzled by the winds. If i follow the prevailing winds it looks like i have mostly a downhill sail till i get closer to the Texas coast where the winds back to the west due to continental land mass. Looks like if i head NNW when the winds switch westward i can sail some sort of reach over to Galveston. Any and all advice dearly appreciated. I am calculating about 750 miles for this final leg.

Is this plan doable? I want to leave Stuart, Florida around mid November and be in Galveston around May.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 11:46   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Loop from Florida, Cuba, Belize, Cancun, and then to Galveston

As far as I can tell there is no law enforcement in the waters off Belize. There are park rangers who want your money, but have no interest in whether you checked in or not. The same kind of thing at Banco Chinchorro, MX, the army guys just want a few beers.
Don't be too sure about easy sailing up to Cancun. The wind is often from the NE in the winter. There are 2 large bays along the way, where you can wait for the wind to go in your direction. You can get soda and Lobster etc, from passing fishermen in both bays, but Bahi Santos is better for that. It's not uncommon to spend a week in one of these anchorages, waiting.
It would be faster and easier it you went to FL instead of TX.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 13:19   #3

Ecos, travelling from Cancun to Florida...wouldn't that be a beat or close reach? Or are you aiming for more of the central cost of florida like Tampa Bay.

Ya, i can see my mistake of trying to plan the trip with the current winds shown on Windy.com. I have never really looked at what they might be like late Spring when it is time to head back from Cancun.
Old 23-10-2018, 13:45   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Many of the boats I've met in Cancun/Isla Mujeres do head to central FL. I've made it to the Dry T's from Isla under sail and then motored to KW. You can also sail along the north coast of Cuba to maybe Bahia Honda and then jump over to KW. The current gets pretty close to the reef along Cuba so you can really go with it. You can also sail inside the reef along Cuba. The trade winds blow from about 120 so the island blocks the wind on the north side. It can be very calm.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 02:11   #5

Thanks Ecos...useful intel...
Old 24-10-2018, 08:57   #6

Boat: Boatless

Fine plan

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:50   #7

Boat: KP 46

I have made that trip a few times, used to stop at Haiti but not sure of it now.
South coast of Cuba is great.
You might look at leaving Cayman, stopping at Swan island, (good harbor, nice stop), then down to Roatan, then up to Belize etc.

Run north is usually good with a helpful current, you can lay the tortugas it is worth a stop (busy and regulated like hell now, but still worth a stop).

All in all a nice trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:37   #8

You shouldn't have any problems provisioning in or around Manzanillo, providing they weren't hit by the latest hurricane. Spent some time in Barro Navidad, nice marina and protected anchorage, friendly locals, many Canadians, shops, hotels, and great food.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 00:42   #9

thanks guys...licking my chops...

Tags
Belize, cancun, Cuba, florida