Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 12:15   #1

Boat: L 34
Looking for 'Weather Window' Advice

Hi Guys, I need advice on the best months for fitting out in Connecticut and for heading out into the Atlantic. When does it start to get cold, what considerations are there for crossing the Gulf stream at that lat. I would prefer to fit out in late Sept and head out in late Oct. Opinions please. Thanks.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 19:06   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380
That's hurricane season. Where are you going?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 07:08   #3

Boat: Vagabond 47
We are planning to start heading south from Ma. around the second week of September keeping a close eye on hurricane activity and get to Norfolk to wait out the end of hurricane season there. It can get pretty cool at night up here after labor day and we want to keep ahead of the cool nights.
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:42   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380
I'm kind of out of my field here as I have never sailed in the northeast but I would think you wouldn't have to cross the gulf stream to coastal hop down to Norfolk. In fact if it is similiar to down south there are counter currents closer to shore.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 10:00   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
The first thing you ought to do is figure out what the Gulf Stream is about. Check out this map: The Gulf Stream
Old 14-03-2010, 11:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Holmek,

Previous posters are correct. If you are just headed south down the coast you will be a very long way from the Gulf Stream until you reach Hatteras or far south Florida.

At Hatteras I think it's easier to go inside by the ICW. It's shorter, nice scenery, and you don't have to sweat the weather.

As far as when it's time to head south to beat the cold, probably Sept to early Oct, although you can get an early cold snap even then. It is still hurricane season but you won't be going offshore if you are headed down the coast so will be easy to pick weather windows of a day to a few days.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 14:27   #7

Boat: Vagabond 47
The way I'm looking at is get out of here [MA.] right after Labor Day and it should be a good time to head south mostly outside down to Norfork Va. Then wait till end of hurricane season and either do the ditch and jump outside on good weather, and head south. Of course that is the plan if we want to do the Bahamas, but if the weather patterns look good we may just head east out of Norfork and down to the Virgins. Still in the planning stages but at least we have set a date to cast off.
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 07:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Get down as far as Beaufort NC along the ICW... then run East to Bermuda early Dec... this puts you in a favourable position for a run due south to the Virgins... winds mainly in your favour all the way...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 11:46   #9

Thanks fellas, see now, I want to head out into the Atlantic and next stop;' Durban. So, I'd like to miss as much of the on-coming winter as I can while still being in the Southern ocean in the southern summer. If I leave in early Autumn, then I will be too soon down south, so thus my query on the onset of the Northern cold weather. Please keep talking. Kevin.
Old 16-03-2010, 13:12   #10

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Please buy and read Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" before you kill yourself. See here: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cruising.../ref=pd_cp_b_0

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:37   #11

Thanks Christian Van H, Cornell recommends Nov, but I thought it might be cold by then up north. I will be headed to the East Atlantic on a non-stop to South Africa so if I leave too early to escape the cold, I'll be in the Hurricane belt too soon.