Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:27   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Liveaboard Boatyard Annapolis , Commute to DC?

I'm currently retired and living aboard my 28 ft sailboat in the Potomac River, but will need to do some fairly extensive work on her over the winter, while living aboard, on the hard, and periodically commuting by bus to DC.
Ideally, I would like to find an inexpensive boatyard where I can live aboard while working on her, that is close to a decent chandlery, grocery store, and access to public transportation (sold my car).

I've searched previous threads on similar topics but found none specific to living on a boat while it's on the hard, in a boatyard, with access to commuter bus to DC. Commuter access is not optional, as Daddy needs to see his teenage kids who live in Alexandria.

I checked the rates for a few boatyards around annapolis but they were a little outside of my budget. Because I have no car, I can't really drive around to search for one, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I will be taking the boat out of the water sometime in september or early october. Thanks, Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: liveaboard boatyard Annapolis, commute to DC?

Try Herrington Harbor North or Shipwright Harbor in Deale, MD. I lived aboard at Shipwright at one time and computed to Arlington. It is closer than Annapolis and there is a commuter lot on Route 4 as well as I remember. I think you can get a bus from there.

Both use to have yards that let you do your own work.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau 393

Herrington Harbour North does not allow liveaboards while the boat is on the hard...
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

You can try Ferry Point on the Magothy. I am a liveaboard and had mine on the hard there for a few weeks. I asked about staying on it during that time and got a non-chalant shrug of the shoulders. It may not be officially allowed, but it didn't seem like they cared much either. Ultimately, we decided it would be easier to make other arrangements, but I gather it would not have been a problem to live aboard on the hard -- though doing so indefinitely might be frowned upon. Call them and ask.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Public transportation narrows down your options. From Annapolis there is a 942 bus to New Carrolton Metro. Feeders from all over town. Schedule is limited though, and weekday drive-time only I believe.

Try Eastport Yacht Center. Tell Kimberly I referred you. They won't make a big deal of you being aboard on the hard (or never did for me). (410) 280-9988 If you have dinghy you can cut the walk to Giant in half. Walk to Davis' Pub, Leeward Market, and Eastport restaurant row.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Public transportation narrows down your options. From Annapolis there is a 942 bus to New Carrolton Metro. Feeders from all over town. Schedule is limited though, and weekday drive-time only I believe.

Try Eastport Yacht Center. Tell Kimberly I referred you. They won't make a big deal of you being aboard on the hard (or never did for me). (410) 280-9988 If you have dinghy you can cut the walk to Giant in half. Walk to Davis' Pub, Leeward Market, and Eastport restaurant row.
Actually, there is a 950 from Annapolis to DC that runs from about 0500 to about 1900. I take it every day.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36   #7

Boat: Pearson 422

a couple other options:
- Whitehall Marina - there are a few liveaboards there, great people
- something on Back Creek? Lots of choices, not sure how liveaboard friendly each is, but should be easy to find out.

Agree that access to DC transportation is going to be the hard part. The commuter bus routes aren't that close to any of the marinas. Maybe a combination of bicycle/bus? Other option would be to inquire at the liveaboard friendly marinas to see if there are residents who already commute to DC and would be open to car-pooling.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43   #8

Thanks for some great info! The Eastport Yacht Center is looks promising, although they charge double what Herrington Harbor does. For my LOA they are $187 versus $360 per month for land storage! I guess it's all about the location aye?

But really, even $360 per month is not a huge amount of money, just leaves a little less for upgrades. It does look like it might be a pert near perfect fit for me! Thanks!

Whatever did people do before the internet and cruisers forum??!!
It must have been near impossible to get comprehensive info on marinas.
I just rejected shipwright harbor based on google satellite image. Amazes me still, how far technology has come! If anyone has more suggestions for boatyards please let me know.
Thanks, Eric
Old 07-07-2011, 14:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Thanks for some great info! The Eastport Yacht Center is looks promising, although they charge double what Herrington Harbor does. For my LOA they are $187 versus $360 per month for land storage! I guess it's all about the location aye?

But really, even $360 per month is not a huge amount of money, just leaves a little less for upgrades. It does look like it might be a pert near perfect fit for me! Thanks!

Whatever did people do before the internet and cruisers forum??!!
It must have been near impossible to get comprehensive info on marinas.
I just rejected shipwright harbor based on google satellite image. Amazes me still, how far technology has come! If anyone has more suggestions for boatyards please let me know.
Thanks, Eric
Why? Just curious since you considered Herrington Harbor North and you can throw a rock from one to the other. What was it about the Google satellite image?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Why? Just curious since you considered Herrington Harbor North and you can throw a rock from one to the other. What was it about the Google satellite image?
I'm glad that you asked that question because today I went back to view another image of shipwright harbor. Initially, I rejected Shipwright based on the fact that I saw only a few boats in their boatyard and being new to boatwork, I felt that perhaps I would not have anyone to turn to (other than professionals) when I had a question. Also, I thought It would get pretty lonely with so few people for company. However, the image I saw today was completely different from the one I viewed yesterday. Quite a few boats in their yard, so perhaps I was wrong.

I think that the extra cost of a yard in Annapolis may be worthwhile in that i would have more technical advice immediately available to me? Maybe better shopping, more activities? Am I looking at this the right way? Should I not be basing my criterion on the availability of technical advice? Eric
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32   #11

Eric, advice is worth what you pay for it. The boatyards with professional crew aren't going to be giving much of it away and your fellow slip mates are as likely to be wrong as right. Anyone will help out in a pinch, anyone will tell you where to start looking for parts or troubleshooting, but don't expect non-stop help. That only happens here and most of the time we're wrong too.

Your bigger problems are liveaboard amenities, heads, stores, bubblers inthe winter, water int he winter and public transportation. I woudl worry about finding advice second. You can always hang around West Marine.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 15:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I'm glad that you asked that question because today I went back to view another image of shipwright harbor. Initially, I rejected Shipwright based on the fact that I saw only a few boats in their boatyard and being new to boatwork, I felt that perhaps I would not have anyone to turn to (other than professionals) when I had a question. Also, I thought It would get pretty lonely with so few people for company. However, the image I saw today was completely different from the one I viewed yesterday. Quite a few boats in their yard, so perhaps I was wrong.

I think that the extra cost of a yard in Annapolis may be worthwhile in that i would have more technical advice immediately available to me? Maybe better shopping, more activities? Am I looking at this the right way? Should I not be basing my criterion on the availability of technical advice? Eric
Definitely better in Annapolis. We lived aboard in Eastport (across Spa Creek from downtown Annapolis) and it was very nice having so much available to do. Not too much in Deale but it had its charm none the less. If price was not a factor I'd chose Annapolis. As for advice, as other have said ... don't count on it and consider what you pay for it. Herrington Harbor North is next door to Shipwright and you will find lots of people working on boats, paid workers and DIYers, same as in Annapolis.
Old 08-07-2011, 15:37   #13

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Actually, there is a 950 from Annapolis to DC that runs from about 0500 to about 1900. I take it every day.
Agreed, but the OP said he needed to get to Alexandria. The easiest way to do that is by Metro, and the 950 doesn't go to New Carrolton. Is that right? I rarely do the bus so things may have changed.

I haven't found any public transportation from Deale. If someone knows of some please tell me.

Shipwright is okay. I've been in and out of there a few times on deliveries. It's a longish walk to HHN and services from there. If you have a work plan and need things shipped in and easy access to some services you'll probably spend less at HHN. If you have a few things and just want some time on stands while you travel or whatever Shipwright will be cheaper.

If you come to Annapolis give me a shout. We'll grab a beer and I'll ramble about whatever you want to talk about.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boatyards, liveaboard