Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 19:05   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: licence vs vessel registration (Cdn terminology) for travel to US and Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Moreover, you may travel anywhere in the world and enjoy the same protection for your vessel that you receive for yourself from having a Canadian Passport when abroad.
Please provide a direct link the the government website that makes this statement.
Old 14-03-2018, 21:13   #32

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: licence vs vessel registration (Cdn terminology) for travel to US and Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
I'm a Canadian looking at heading down the coast to the US and Bahamas. Can anyone let me know if it is necessary to get the vessel registered (name/home port on stern) vs. licence numbers (on bow).
thanks
Doug
I'm a Canadian too. It is necessary to get the vessel federally registered with Transport Canada (they will have an office near you), apply the name/home port on the stern, apply their assigned ship's number to the mainbeam and carry their document on board to present to foreign Customs. You don't need to register the dinghy anywhere, just apply T/T Boatname/Ship's Number on the bow.

This will be good for as long as you own the boat. It's what Transport Canada told me, and it's what I did.

Do not licence the boat provincially, where you apply licence numbers on the bow. That is a provincial (tax) thing which carries no weight, formally, in other countries.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 21:48   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
I'm a Canadian too. It is necessary to get the vessel federally registered with Transport Canada
Simply not true for the US and Bahamas. I've been making this run for almost 25yrs and there are hundreds of Canadian licensed boats down here with no problems. I've delivered dozens of Canadian Licensed vessels between Ontario and Florida. There are at least ten in this marina in Lucaya right now.
Old 15-03-2018, 19:04   #34

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Simply not true for the US and Bahamas. I've been making this run for almost 25yrs and there are hundreds of Canadian licensed boats down here with no problems. I've delivered dozens of Canadian Licensed vessels between Ontario and Florida. There are at least ten in this marina in Lucaya right now.
And if he then wants to go beyond the US and Bahamas...?

Strictly speaking, federal registration is required. The US and Bahamas authorities are used to deviations from this requirement, that is, provincial or state registration, by wishy-washy boat owners. I read into the OP's post that he doesn't have any registration, so he might as well do it right at this point.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 19:38   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
And if he then wants to go beyond the US and Bahamas...?
That was not his question.

Please direct me to any country's government web page that says only federally registered or documented vessels will be allowed in their waters.
Old 11-04-2018, 15:16   #36

Boat: Between boats right now
Send a message via AIM to wilson eavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
I'm a Canadian looking at heading down the coast to the US and Bahamas. Can anyone let me know if it is necessary to get the vessel registered (name/home port on stern) vs. licence numbers (on bow).
thanks
Doug
Doug, it's Wilson here, SV Goin' On, at the Dobson.
Thinking the same; when are you planning to head down?
wilson eavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:34   #37

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

Hi Wilson. We are thinking that maybe Sept or Oct. Probably do the trip a chunk at a time with some trips back to look after work. Probably go fairly direct to get to the chesapeake, then wait until after november before going farther south. The rest would be just poking our way down the coast and enjoying ourselves. Will depend on wife's enthusiasm, but she sounds serious.

What about you?
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:50   #38

Boat: Between boats right now
Send a message via AIM to wilson eavis

Sounds as though you've given it some serious thoughts, and that's wise.
I'd rather connect with you directly, so may I pls have your email address? If it's confidential I understand. You can contact me at wilson.eavis@hotmail.ca not com.
I'm currently thinking of the same, though just might gunkhole a bit more than you since I'll possibly be singlehanding a lot. Only long passage for me will be Shelburne to Maine.
Plans for the summer? I think I'll do St. Pierre again; the best of the voyage being getting via the outports along the way there and the return.
We'll chat over a rum.
Kindest.

ps I Federally registered my boat after discussing the issue last year with US officials; a bit more formal.
wilson eavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, enc, registration