Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 15:53   #1

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport
licence vs vessel registration (Cdn terminology) for travel to US and Bahamas

I'm a Canadian looking at heading down the coast to the US and Bahamas. Can anyone let me know if it is necessary to get the vessel registered (name/home port on stern) vs. licence numbers (on bow).
thanks
Doug
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 16:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: licence vs vessel registration (Cdn terminology) for travel to US and Bahamas

The authority on this, in the US, is the US Coast Guard. They have a good website and an even better help number. I don't have it, at the moment, but you can easily google it....look for something like Vessel Documentation, or USCG licensing, or some such. Much better than a hundred opinions!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 16:55   #3

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: licence vs vessel registration (Cdn terminology) for travel to US and Bahamas

Neither is likely necessary if your Canadian paperwork is in order. Most or all states allow foreign vessels "temporarily" in their waters without registration. OP is not allowed to USCG Document his vessel because he's Canadian. Only thing I would suggest is a Canadian flag for your stern to make clear to law enforcement you are a foreigner.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:08   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Registration is probably fine for USA and most likely the Bahamas. But beyond that you may get into trouble. It’s certainly simpler to be registered.

My understanding is that while it’s not technically necessary to be registered, the problem is it become a flag-raiser as you clear into other countries who are unfamiliar with the provincial licensing number. It doesn’t look like a normal registration, so will likely cause you problems.
Old 25-02-2018, 17:14   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Better verify with Transport Canada.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marine-faq.htm

Terminology. Canada Registered = USA Documented

You get an official number,an official vessel name & a hail (port of registry)

Canada Provincially Licensed = USA State Registered

You get a number,to be posted in 3" letters on both sides of the vessel.
A name is optional as is a home port-neither mean anything officially.

Make sure your dinghy is Provincially licensed with 3" numbers on it before you go into US. Carry all papers to prove that you own both the mother ship & the Dink.

Len
Old 25-02-2018, 17:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Registration is probably fine for USA and most likely the Bahamas. But beyond that you may get into trouble. It’s certainly simpler to be registered.

My understanding is that while it’s not technically necessary to be registered, the problem is it become a flag-raiser as you clear into other countries who are unfamiliar with the provincial licensing number. It doesn’t look like a normal registration, so will likely cause you problems.
That is my understanding also. / L
Old 25-02-2018, 17:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've been delivering boats and cruising my own boat between the Great Lakes and Bahamas for almost 30 years either registered or licensed is fine. we are currently on our own boat in Lucaya.

PS. I'm also a Transport Canada Licensed Master and Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer.
Old 25-02-2018, 17:25   #8

Here is a link to check if the name you want is already used.
You get 3 name choices on your application
Vessel Registration Query System
Old 25-02-2018, 17:39   #9

Link to USA Customs https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...tering-the-u.s.
Old 25-02-2018, 20:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. You get a number,to be posted in 3" letters on both sides of the vessel.
A name is optional as is a home port-neither mean anything officially.

2. Make sure your dinghy is Provincially licensed with 3" numbers on it before you go into US. Carry all papers to prove that you own both the mother ship & the Dink.
Len

1. I just did this for my boat. Licensed in CAN doesn't need a homeport.

2. My understanding is under 10 hp doesn't need a CAN license. Can you show me where it may say it does? Thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 22:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Len

2. My understanding is under 10 hp doesn't need a CAN license. Can you show me where it may say it does? Thanks.
You are correct. Less than 10hp in Canada does not require a license. As a Canadian Registered or licensed vessel, you dinghy is not required to be licensed in the United States even tho' most states do require it to be licensed. Foreign vessel are exempt from this under the United States Code of Federal Regulations which states that as long as you are compliant in your own country you are good to go.
Old 26-02-2018, 03:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Len

Stu / I bought my boat in Rockport,Me. in 2006 & sailed it home-which is just over the border. In the process,I took my dinghy,with 2HP Honda, from home(Canada) to Rockport,Me.,via road.
I can't remember who warned me that it was best to have a license number of some kind on the dinghy to avoid possible problems with USCG. The apparent reasoning was to be able to easily prove ownership of dinghy & avoid suspicion of theft of same by USCG.
This was nothing to do with US or Canadian Customs.
Since licensing a boat in N.B. is a free onetime thing,except for the cost of the number decals,I didn't question it.

Dealing with US Customs at the Me./N.B. border is a hit & miss thing,regarding US or Canadian pleasurecraft. On the G. Lakes,& ,I guess,the west coast,you have enough traffic that the border agents are up to date & familiar with current regulations.
Not so here on the Me./N.B. border.
Asking the US guys about an I-68 gets you a blank stare & a suggestion to call regional HQ in Bangor-90 miles inland.
Even US citizens returning from Canada run into technical problems at times.
There are other nuisance problems/indecisions when traveling from N.S./N.B. to first US Port of Entry also.
Do you follow the US rules & sail 8hrs over & back to Eastport/Lubec,making your first day 14hrs long (@6kts) before you can anchor at the first US harbour (Cutler/Machias)-which are 2hrs as the crow flies-or do you take your chances & shoot directly down the Me.coast 4hrs & report at Souwest Harbour?
Some US agents are very sensible & some can get very upset.
I have lived on this border all my life & for the most part,no problem either side-but-occasionally you run into a particularily zealous type-both Cdn & US-& they have unlimited power to ruin your day

There is mention of dinghy licensing here:http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html

Len
Old 26-02-2018, 08:42   #13

Boat: Camano 41

When we sailed through the US, Mexico, French Polynesia, the dinghy did not require separate registry because the outboard was less than 10hp, ie 9.9hp. Never had a problem, even in Newport Beach, where there are about 5 different policing groups navigating the waters.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 08:47   #14

As mentioned in an earlier post, as long as you comply with the regulations from your country of origin, for the most part, you should have no problem. However, as also mentioned, there will be those BPS officials that can and may give you a difficult time. So, always have proper documentation available for the mother ship, whether it's licenced or registered.

But, in the case of the tender/dingy, get a licence regardless of engine size. Wouldn't you rather have a minor hassle here in Canada rather than running into a US customs officer that may be having an off day? We have a 5HP on our dingy and it was a "no brainer" deciding whether or not to get the paperwork done. It's a one shot deal and just makes life simpler.
SeaBreeze-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:42   #15

Boat: Frers 33

I am Canadian. Here’s what Transport Canada told me, that resulted in registering my vessel federally:
A provincial licence number is ok for the US BUT
The vessel itself is not entitled to diplomatic support from the canadian government should some issue arise.
In the same way that you, holding a Canadian passport are entitled to all appropriate consular services, a federally registered Canadian vessel gains the same entitlement - because of its registration, not your passport.

This is not the case for a provincially licenced vessel, and if things get iffy, your boat enjoys no diplomatic protection.

The cost is $250 lifetime, the vessel name & port of registry are in fact its licence and must be visible on the transom ( there are standards), and the name on each bow ( standards for this too).

My guess is that your dingy, accompanying the boat with vessel name and port of registry on the transom is considered part of your vessel’s equipment.
Foredeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, enc, registration