Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 05:02   #241
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
(aka banana benders)...trust you get my drift.

for the rest of us, what does "banana bender" mean
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:05   #242

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Queensland is indeed broke - not entirely sure that I blame Lehmann or anyone elses brothers. Currently the 3rd largest expenditure item on our state books is interest on debt, so thats after Health and Education and in front of every other govt service or expenditure - sooooo definitely not economically healthy, but like I said - I thinks its a home grown problem as a much as an imported one.

No its too obtuse for me - you see I am a Queenslander - so obviously I am far too busy bending bananas to understand your witty and ironic comment.

Always found the banana bender term strange given that NSW produces more bananas and indeed has the "Big Banana as a key tourist attraction.

I maintain Meyermm moved here from Victoria.

BTW - had a look at your angus inlet website - got some interesting stuff there, and seems like an interesting group. Good luck with the collections.

Strange people these Queenslanders be. The State of banana denial.

" More than 90 percent of Australia’s bananas are grown in Queensland "

Growing bananas in Australia
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:20   #243
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Its an endearing term of derision - every state in australia has one, Queensland is banana Benders or Cane Toads, New south wales is Cockroaches, South Australia is Crow eater Western Australia is sand groper Victorian is Mexican, tasmania usually involves references to two heads or inbreeding etc.

Its all in good fun. The difference between the various states of australia is minuscule compared to the provinces of Canada (where I lived for a while) and I think even more minuscule to the states of the USA (haven't lived there but travelled through it a bit whilst living in Canada).

Quote:
" More than 90 percent of Australia’s bananas are grown in Queensland "
I stand corrected, (but the Big Banana is still in NSW - coffs harbour to be exact
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:51   #244
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
As a professional ex Banana Bender I believe I can take the liberty to explain further by reposting some information that I originally posted back in July 08 on another thread. While this may break several CF rules, I suspect it will as interesting as much of this thread .

For the record is has been many decades since Queenslanders bent bananas only when they had nothing better to do. It is not like that any more.

Although I have left the trade due to "bend out" which is a type of workplace stress (I am officially classed as "bent out"), my family is still bending as they have for generations.

The first bananas were bent in the late 19th century and soon became very popular all around the world. Right though to the 1950's almost all bent bananas originated from Queensland. However the demand out grew the supply and even with the benders working 24/7, the demand could not be met. Then came the machine bent banana, this alleviated the supply problem for some years although the best bends were (and still are) the hand bends. Queensland hand bent bananas still command premium prices on the world banana markets.

Around 1970, an act of parliment was ammended that allowed the export of the bending technology and the worldwide bent banana crisis was over.

More recent developments include GM bent bananas where selected benders donated their genes to be spliced into the actual banana trees - the so called "smart banana". These have taken off like wildfire and can be found growing in most tropical anchorages of the world.

What has this got to do with cruising you ask. Well look at it this way, part of cruising is the travelling to new destinations, meeting the locals and getting to know the local traditions. As Queensland is a popular cruising destination (like the Great Barrier Reef), I feel it is helpful for visting sailors to know some of the history of this fascinating place. Most Queenslanders never give this aspect of their history a second thought and like myself, would never think to mention it at all. I think it would be fair to say that most of you who have sailed in Queensland waters would not have heard any of this before.

That is, until Gord posted some basic information here on CF. Even noonsite (or wikipedia) does not carry this amount of detail.

Very few people eat straight bananas anywhere anymore - all thanks to the early Queenslanders who had nothing better to do with their time.

In that respect, I am still carrying on that great tradition - now back to boat refit and solvent fumes .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 07:03   #245
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
The other side to this is, as cruisers we do not want to see the world decend on us en mass. And be told that we could be the next US state if we play our cards right.(quote)
Rest easy Beau... its very unlikely that the World will decend on you en-mass....
I think 95% of cruisers are perfectly happy with what they have and the 'Joy's of OZ' hold little interest...
My cruising grounds are the Med, N Atlantic and Carib... more than enough variety to keep me happy till now and probably the remaining few years left...
Sure you get the 'Boat People'... but come on... they're passengers not 'Cruisers'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 08:14   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As a professional ex Banana Bender I believe I can take the liberty to explain further by reposting some information that I originally posted back in July 08 on another thread...
Thanks for reminding us.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lly-17074.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 13:28   #247

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
morons
free be rabble

One thing I like about cruising is it's easy to get away from disagreeable people. If that $800 Visa fee is keeping you away from the US, all the better mate.
Not sure why but you and a small minority seem unable to understand my points. The $800 is not stopping me from travelling to the US I was using it unsuccessfully to demonstrate that most places cost to travel. So the obsession with the Aus.300+ dollars is obviously more about bagging Australia than the subject of the thread just like the nearly total avoidance of the FP return air fare. Just like the US writers reference to "average country entry $200".
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 13:46   #248

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
So others do notice it too.
I'm pissed off with myself for letting him get under my skin, but I don't like plain nasty, to the point I'm becoming it myself

I'm sure he still wonders why he always ended up eating his school lunch on his own... If he hasn't worked it out after 6 decades it's probably a lost cause.
VV - You seem to be under some illusion that because a few forum writers agree with your views that they are superior to mine and others.
The fact is that there is a silent majority out there that only participate in forums up to the reading stage. But never or very seldom write their view. There is usually another group of regular participants who over time become illusional as to the importance of there views ( hence appologising on behalf of others). (not well written). Be carefull of that silent majority they might have a totally different view to yours or mine.
A saying in Australia which has grown in popularity since a Sydney Muslim cleric told his congregation last year (LOVE IT OR LEAVE).
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:00   #249

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
pirate

Now back to some healthy conversation! Looks like there will be one more boat out there soon. I have given notice on the house, had the phone and broadband disconnected and am packing.
Old 16-12-2010, 14:07   #250

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

OK, I guess it is time for some serious thread drift stuff

I just use the little line through icon (ABC)that is at the other end of the line that has the Bold icon (B)
Never have seen that.

Amazing.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:15   #251
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Never have seen that.

Amazing.
¡ɹǝʌǝןɔ s,ʇɐɥʇ 'ɥɐǝʎ

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:24   #252

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
¡ɹǝʌǝןɔ s,ʇɐɥʇ 'ɥɐǝʎ

OK.

Is that another button I have missed?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:35   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Now back to some healthy conversation! Looks like there will be one more boat out there soon. I have given notice on the house, had the phone and broadband disconnected and am packing.
Way to go SurferShane! Where to first?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:54   #254
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
¡ɹǝʌǝןɔ s,ʇɐɥʇ 'ɥɐǝʎ

ROFL....
Shane... good on yer...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:31   #255

Boat: O'Day 28

I understand how to fip the letters over too!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote