Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 04:52   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I have found that the best way to not be bored on a boat is to have a long list of jobs that I am trying to avoid doing. Procrastination is a great way to stay busy.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:12   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
It would seem to me that the real question isn't whether you get bored, but whether you find enough things to keep yourself occupied. I would guess to say that a fair amount of boat maintenance is really busy work that gets done for something to do as much as because the boat needs it.
Don, in the multiplicity of systems in a marine environment, having a planned scheduled maintenance programme is an essential part of ensuring that what is being done is because the boat needs it. Neglecting one or more systems will guarantee a fix for bordom.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:29   #33

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We have been living and crusing on Tivoli for almost 2 years, nothing about this has been boring in any way. Just taking care of Tivoli is almost a full time job. We have been married for 35 years and love to spend time together. And we love hand steering our sailboat. Crusing is not for everybody, and of that I am glad, then there would be too many of us on the water...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:38   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo View Post
It has been almost 20 years since we were "out there". Ex-Cal mentioned the fact that we have a 33' boat. Not a problem. 1. That is what we can afford. 2. I am in my early 60's and was brought up with the Pardeys and with Hal Roth. When I got interested in sailing 33' was a good sized boat. I still think that way. Also it is a question of handling the sails, anchor equipment etc. The largest problem for me is squeezing into tight places. We looked at a Pearson 422 and I loved the space. But it need to much work..
There is another thread on here about lusting at larger yachts and yes the extra space would be very nice, of course, but what are you going to do with it? fill the extra cabins full of guests every weekend? or fill it full of stuff you just can't bear to be without Make the decision, get rid of the junk because you can't take it with you and the kids won't thank you for leaving the problem to them either.

For us it would be difference of using our 31ft yacht and retiring early or working until 66 to afford the 45 foot. The current plan is to keep the 31, retire early and just go. If the smaller yacht and smaller costs means we have extra funds to do more on the way then great

Marinas in NW Europe are over crowded each summer, but with a shallow draft and a small yacht we have never had a problem getting a space even when we just turn up on spec. However, we have watched harbour masters almost give up in despair as 45 feet of yacht turns up at tea time hoping to get into an already bulging marina.

The previous owners kept April Lass for 19 years. Looking at the charts we inherited they may not have travelled far, but certainly made good use of her visiting hundreds of little harbours and enjoying life. They only sold up at 75 when medical problems over took them.

Will we be bored? I doubt it and when we have seen somewhere for a while just untie and off on another adventure

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:59   #35

Boat: Currently boatless
My husband and I have talked about cruising for multiple years and were finally able to get the chance to try it out. We spent from Nov 15 through Dec 15 and Feb 15 through March 13 on this boat this year. While working on the boat and getting ready to leave we found out that I was pregnant so we stopped for 2 months at our home in FL to spend the holidays with family and to do all of the initial medical stuff and doctors appointments before continuing our cruise.

During the first month, we had many cold, wet days that we travelled coming down the ICW and didn't get off the boat other than when we needed supplies or had mechanical problems. We spent many more nights at anchor than in marinas and it was too cold to get out on the dingy to visit other boaters or to dingy to shore. We very much missed being able to walk or socialize and we pushed pretty hard to get to warmer weather. In the evenings we had little enough to do in the cabin that we usually went to bed early. It was a long month mostly motoring down the ICW, we were pretty discouraged after that.

We still wanted to get to the FL keys before the baby was born so with hopes of better weather we headed out again in Feb. It was still cooler than we anticipated, but it was much better as far as getting out in the dingy and talking to people. We still didn't know what to do with the extra time. We read more than we had in years, but we can both only sit around for so long.

I am not sure what tomorrow holds, but we had lots of times that we were bored and wishing we were able to get out and do some things on shore...even if it was to just go for a walk. I don't know that we will ever become long term cruisers but we still enjoy sailing a lot.
Soon2BCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:30   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
A boring day on the water beats a crazy day in the office.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:50   #37

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Only boring people get bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I cant remember the last time I was bored, onboard or on land- I think it has a lot to do with your adatude-
I think Ram summed it up.

I've dated girls that huff about being bored if we don't leave the house for more than two days to make a visit to the mall or a local night club.

I, on the other hand, have enough projects, goals, and things I want to get done that about the only time I find myself bored is if I'm stuck sitting in some meeting listening to a corporate blowhard drivel on about something that really has nothing to do with me. I could happily quit my job and never be bored another day of my life. Unfortunately, I can't afford that yet.

I think the two week test trip is a good idea.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Boredom = life on land... same ole same ole... dont need an imagination just a routine...
WEEKS; Get up, eat. Go to work, eat. Go home, eat, watch tv, eat, go to bed...
WEEKENDS; Visit relatives/friends, eat, drink, maybe go dancing, eat, drink, watch tv, slob n sleep... look forward to Monday coz your bored...
Bored cruisers do it for the destination... (culture vultures)
Others cruisers are bored a week after they get there...(sailors)

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:52   #39
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Don, in the multiplicity of systems in a marine environment, having a planned scheduled maintenance programme is an essential part of ensuring that what is being done is because the boat needs it. Neglecting one or more systems will guarantee a fix for bordom.
I have a schedule (ex Navy so used to having a PM schedule). But I also have lists of things that if I don't do them for years wouldn't made any difference. They're just busy work to spend time on. I used to only have A,B,C levels of things to do, but recently I started doing Ds for the real low priorities. But lots times the lower level items get blown off as I would prefer to sail and do them (meaning I'm not bored at all). By the way the B items are the ost important in ordr to not being A's (must do now!)
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 09:32   #40

Boat: Island Packet 380
Quote:
When we were cruising, a friend back home asked, "What do you do all day?" I scratched my head and answered, "I don't know, but it takes all day to do it."
I like it Hud, I might have to use that line.

I have to say that perhaps we confuse boredom with the slower pace at which life seems to operate while cruising. I don't think they are the same thing. My husband and I lead very busy lives today with jobs, kids, school, etc and all of the activities that come with this. I look forward to the day when life will move at a slower pace.

I decided to look up the definition of boredom and this is what I found...it's the state of being weary and restless through lack of interest. The opposite of boredom is interest.

I will be happy to move at a slower pace and take life as it comes with great interest
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:30   #41

Three thoughts:

1. I have sailed from N.J. to Bermuda but never crossed an entire ocean. The people I know who have crossed oceans tell me there are 2 kinds of passages: boring and exciting, and boring is much better. But Bahamas/Caribbean cruising isn’t like that - most anchorages/islands are only a daysail apart and you go on to the next one when the spirit moves you and the weather and the boat are ready. Our cruising style was to kind of alternate civilization/party towns with deserted islands or secluded anchorages. After 2 weeks of constant parties/activities in George Town we spent 11 days at Samana Cay - trapped by weather, the only boat there, and we had a blast exploring and snorkling or just sitting in the cockpit, reading, drinking, and watching the world go by.

2. Unlike most people on this forum, I like cruise ships. You’re pampered, have zero responsibility, and I have never had any trouble finding places to get away from crowds onboard when I felt like it. But, cruise ships take you to major ports which are for the most part not where most cruisers would anchor. I like Phillpsburg and Charlotte Amalie and can easily spend a day in those towns. But when my ship docks in a place like Bridgetown or Castries, the first thing I do is grab a cab to somewhere else. If you’ve been on a cruise ship, check out the available excursions. We recently returned from an 8 day cruise on the Carnival Miracle. In St. Lucia the available activities included: parasailing, horseback riding on the beach, visiting the volcano, waterfalls, hot springs, mud baths, snorkling, scuba diving, and ziplining through the jungle. Sailboat cruisers can do the same things. Some cost money, some don’t, but there’s no excuse for being bored.

3. Beware. There is a phenomenon called Island Time. It infects most cruisers to varying degrees. It isn’t exactly being lazy; it’s more like having fun being lazy, eg. playing softball on the beach, or finishing the book, instead of changing the alternator belt. Which means you won’t be able to leave tomorrow as planned. But you’re already in paradise, so who cares? It's just Island Time.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:56   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Too much work and too much responsibility running a boat to be boring, in my experience. It's an enormous amount of work -- nearly the same variety of jobs needs doing on an ocean-going yacht as on a commercial ship -- navigation, passage planning, helming, trimming, engineering, pilotage, maintaining and repairing all of the various systems, keeping the boat clean, keeping the provisioned, feeding the crew, etc., etc., etc. Not to mention the one-eye-open sleep-deprivation-special anchor watch. Except that you do it all with just two or three people, instead of dozens. Whew! How could anybody be bored? Overworked I can understand, but not bored.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 12:55   #43

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
We are hoping to go cruising sometime soon...all dependent on a house sale, so who knows when, but one thing I have been thinking is how I am going to make a list of the things I have been wanting to learn, continuing ed I may want to take in my field, books I have wanted to read, get back to writing, my list is very long...I don't think there will be a chance that I will get bored but I do have a way of becoming unfocused so I am using this opportunity to really try to focus and reach some of my goals. I bought a guitar over six and a half years ago and still have not learned to play so that is high on the list. Of course, I was raised an only child, didn't watch a lot of t.v., lived in the woods and my primary friends were a German Shepherd and a Westie so I have had practice at entertaining myself ;0)
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:02   #44

It's in no way boring.I have cruised for years and it's the most exciting thing ever.I also have a Pearson 38 1990 for sale.In great condition and ocean worthy.If you're interested, i'll give you more details on request.
briancromwell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:38   #45
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I think there are days that I get bored, its mainly because I cant get something done thats needed, ie leave but the weathers against me, etc. Perhaps its more angsty then bored. But I can sit for hours( days) on passage and just stare at the seas or the stars and never feel bored. Never felt the need for TV etc

as yes Island time, I spent days comtemplating that
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote