Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2008, 18:48   #76

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Just reading a new sailing book (Two in a Boat by Gwyneth Lewis). Early on, she quotes "early race rules" as saying that:

"Any skipper who is unable to remain alive by his own efforts is expected to die with dignity."

Hmmm...

Incidentally, nice read. They sailed a Nicholson 35 from England to Spain (and apparently back again, since it's for sale in England) but didn't really know what they were doing. Ran into a host of problems, nautical, spiritual, and marital.

Connemara
You must of really liked that book
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 06:13   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I'm no expert and no naval archietect, but the bows on the amahs and the mainhull seem quite narrow. In a cat, that would likely mean burying the hulls, which could trigger a pitch pole. I don't know if there's the same concern with a tri.
Old 25-01-2008, 11:46   #78

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
LOL... dunno how the double post happened. OTOH, I did like the book, although it's a warning for those among us who follow the male persuasion. Although neither party was a sailor (in the sense of going to sea under sail) the husband had been a seaman on cargo ships, was much older, didn't get seasick, and was just generally more competent. So he became Captain Bligh. This is not a good plan for domestic harmony. When we bought Connemara, I promised I would never yell at the first mate and so far I haven't (although the reverse is not entirely true). So we still go down to the sea together. But that's off the topic. I dunno if this guy with the homebuilt is a hero or not. In Two in a Boat, Lewis describes some bozo who cost the UK coast guards a poopload. Guy spent 18 years building a 25-footer, then tried to sail her using a road atlas, a map of Europe and a map of the mountains of Mourne(?). Was rescued three times in 1999 by the coastguard trying to get from Liverpool to a place in North Wales. Nothing daunted, he set off the following year from Anglesey trying to get the Isle of Wight. Five rescues that time. And it wasn't over. So will this guy make it? Wait and see, I guess. Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 14:05   #79

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
LOL... I dunno if this guy with the homebuilt is a hero or not. In Two in a Boat, Lewis describes some bozo who cost the UK coast guards a poopload. Guy spent 18 years building a 25-footer, then tried to sail her using a road atlas, a map of Europe and a map of the mountains of Mourne(?). Was rescued three times in 1999 by the coastguard trying to get from Liverpool to a place in North Wales. Nothing daunted, he set off the following year from Anglesey trying to get the Isle of Wight. Five rescues that time. And it wasn't over. So will this guy make it? Wait and see, I guess. Connemara
At what point do they start charging these people for the rescues due to blatent recklesness??

I'm telling you....at some point, the general public is going to demand some sort of reimbursment for these types of rescues. They are horendously expensive.

The question is......where do they draw the line? I am sure that MOST people would consider what we do (crossing oceans in small boats) as recless endangerment.

Again, I'll bet (sooner or later) there will be a very hefty fee for registering an EPIRB. That may put a stop to idiots like that (or at least slow them down).
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 14:17   #80

Boat: Trismus 37
Maybe they will allow us to sail without an epirb and allow us to sail as we used to being responsible for our own safety. No epirb = no rescue effort, win win I would have thought.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 12:07   #81
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Maybe they will allow us to sail without an epirb and allow us to sail as we used to being responsible for our own safety. No epirb = no rescue effort, win win I would have thought.
I like that idea!

I don't have a boat (yet) and admitted to my wife that when I do, it'll probably spend the first year tied up as I learn how to sail it!

My 8 year old daughter asked yesterday if I ever DID get a boat, would she and her sisters be allowed on it. I told her MINIMUM, they'd all need to know how to swim, and follow safety guidelines. then "we'll see."

Though boats apeal to me more and more as driving becomes over regulated to the point of making drivers MORE incompetent, I have no intention of being irresponsible enough to undertake just "sailing off" without knowing how to DO IT!!

I've learned a lot just reading this thread and your opinions and reactions to this fellow and that alone is enough to NOT make him MY "hero"!!

Our society is too coddled as it is and the result of that are people like this who always expect to be "taken care of".

Just my opinion but that's how I feel.

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 12:56   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No EPIRB = No rescue = a safety hazard floating at sea that we could run into causing us damage or even sink, which would require a rescue ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 03:30   #83
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
No EPIRB = No rescue = a safety hazard floating at sea that we could run into causing us damage or even sink, which would require a rescue ;-) :-)
Can't win huh?

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 08:16   #84

Boat: Nautor-Swan, S&S40
Talking vs. doing

Some of you appear to get upset about this fellow but I'm 76 years old and have seen my share of talkers and dreamers. They are all the same, talking about what they are going to do. I still sail my S&S 40 single handedly, was out last Saturday. Reason I sail mostly alone is that so many people say:"I'd love to come sailing", but when I call them, they have other things to do. I tried males and females. The funniest was a woman who was into wine: She would bring selected wines and confided that she spent a considerable part of her income on buying cases of selected vintages. And I was looking for crew! Now that's funny! Just let the talkers talk and those of us who can, go sailing!
TheEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 08:54   #85
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
This is why I like a drift in a thread. A lot of knowledge can come from a drift, and you can always return to the original post.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 09:24   #86

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
I see bits and pieces of Timothy Treedwell (the grizzly bear guy) in his attitude.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 10:09   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Does anyone know what he's doing or what's up with his boat? He mentioned possibly trying again, though it sounded like half-hearted face-saving.

Likewise, what ever became of Ken Barnes? After his rescue he pronounced plans to redo/reconceptualize his Web site, but it hasn't been touched in 18 months.
Old 23-07-2008, 10:35   #88
cruiser

More bumbling than fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I see bits and pieces of Timothy Treedwell (the grizzly bear guy) in his attitude.
Well, I don't know that he doesn't realize that the ocean is dangerous, it is just that he has no mechanical sense at all--an all thumbs bumbler, who is so clueless that he doesn't even realize that he has no mechanical sense. He should have stuck to a desk job-the luck is with him, though, or he'd be dead already.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 04:17   #89

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
after reading his story you really have to judge his sanity in this project what i worry about is the poor bastard who has to go and put his life on the line to go and rescue this idiot when he activates his epirb note that i said when and not if he activates it oh well i will just have to wait to see it on tv
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 04:36   #90

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Abrupt Ending

The fellow's round the world sail ended abruptly in February when he discovered his "welds" (if one can call them that) were failing (to say nothing of line chafing through in two dayx for want of a fair lead). The story appears in Latitude 38, see Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine , scond story from the top of the page.

Frankly, given the appearance of the work this fellow did, I'm surprised the Coast Guard have not declared his effort a manifestly unsafe voyage and disallowed him to leave.

No doubt he will try again and likely, someone elses life will be put at risk attempting to pull his chestnuts out of the fire.

WADA!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote