Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2014, 10:26   #1

Boat: Moody 34
ICW questions for ICW veterans

1. Can anyone give me a rough guesstimate of how many days it may take (even a rough guesstimate range of days) to traverse from Rock Hall MD to Oriental NC going about 40 miles a day - 3 days traveling and then 1 day resting- down the chesapeake to Norfolk and into the ICW motoring on a 27' 9" LWL sailboat running on a 27hp Yanmar engine?

2. Is there a reference online which you could refer me to so I can do these calculations myself in the future?

thanks for your time-
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 10:34   #2

Re: ICW questions for ICW veterans

Do you have an ICW guide? If not get one.... I think you can get mileage in there...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 10:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
1. Can anyone give me a rough guesstimate of how many days it may take (even a rough guesstimate range of days) to traverse from Rock Hall MD to Oriental NC going about 40 miles a day - 3 days traveling and then 1 day resting- down the chesapeake to Norfolk and into the ICW motoring on a 27' 9" LWL sailboat running on a 27hp Yanmar engine?

2. Is there a reference online which you could refer me to so I can do these calculations myself in the future?

thanks for your time-
Here is a free online PDF document from NOAA that you can get instantly, for free, and save to your computer.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/n.../distances.pdf

Look in the tables and you will find ICW distances between popular ports.

Have fun on your trip.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 11:02   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you do Rock Hall to Norfolk in one shot. Norfolk Hospital anchorage is mile 0 and Oriental is Mile 182. So after you get to Norfolk you have 182 statute miles to go. If Albemarle sound is kicking up you might have to wait for weather. Also your daily mileage will vary depending on which anchorages you choose. Give it a week in good weather.
Old 13-12-2014, 14:19   #5

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

A rest day in, say, Solomons, and another in Norfolk, perhaps? Do you have the bridge info/schedules for the AIWW, particularly for the first 20 or so miles beginning as you enter the intercoastal in Norfolk? Oh, and if your air draft/mast height is not more than 35', you might get lucky and have one fewer bridge to worry about the lifting schedule for. Don't know how you'd work overnights once in the ditch but tons of folk here should know that very well.
Old 14-12-2014, 05:01   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Rock Hall to Norfolk/Portsmouth (ICW Mile 0) = approx. 150 miles.Norfolk/Portsmouth to Oriental (ICW Mile 182) = 182 miles.
332 miles at 40/day = a touch over 8 days
Add 2 rest days = 10 days

However, I would plan for 5 extra days or, better yet, have no specific time limit. It's a nice, enjoyable, fun trip with many pleasant stops, and, unless you're a seasoned delivery captain, you have no need or want to move on inclement days or to try to cross the sounds when there are high winds against you. Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 08:49   #7

Boat: Irwin ketch 37 ft.

I am a veteran of ONE trip from St. Pete FL to Indian town FL.
We estimated 4 days based on distance. It took us 7 days due to bridge delays, locks, and having too much fun!!
Good luck
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 06:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Aird.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:12   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Rock Hall to Norfolk/Portsmouth (ICW Mile 0) = approx. 150 miles.Norfolk/Portsmouth to Oriental (ICW Mile 182) = 182 miles.
332 miles at 40/day = a touch over 8 days
Add 2 rest days = 10 days

However, I would plan for 5 extra days or, better yet, have no specific time limit. It's a nice, enjoyable, fun trip with many pleasant stops, and, unless you're a seasoned delivery captain, you have no need or want to move on inclement days or to try to cross the sounds when there are high winds against you. Happy cruising!
It has been said that a schedule is one of the most dangerous things you can have on a boat. So yes, plan on some extra days so you don't end up pushing yourself or taking chances. There can be some rough weather and seas for parts of your trip.

I suggest buying the Waterway Guide (one for the Chesapeake and one for the ICW) so you can plan your trip and plan your stops.
Old 16-12-2014, 09:56   #10

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

My boat lives in Rock Hall and I have done exactly this trip though I was trying to go as fast as I could to get to Beaufort. It took 27 hours nonstop to the marina at mile zero in Portsmouth. Then either three or four days to Beaufort depending on the time of year (longer days in the summer). It would be hard to do it faster than that. If you were taking your time it would be a week to a week and a half. Oriental is half a day short of Beaufort, more or less. (I think Bfort is at mile 205)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 19:38   #11

Boat: Moody 34
Thanks so much for all the great replies- I sure do appreciate it!
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 20:00   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

We left from Deale which is a little South of you, but our first day was short. We made roughly 40 mile hops from there to Solomons, Deltaville, Norfolk, down the Dismal Swamp - overnight at the welcome center, Elizabeth City, Alligator river marina, Belhaven and finally Oriental.
Waterway guide and activecaptain.com are good resources to find marinas or anchorages.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 03:46   #13

Boat: Cornado 25

Left Deltaville Va (Rapahannock Rvr) Dec 5, 2014
Arrived Oriental NC Dec 14, 2014
25' Sailboat
Layovers for weather/rest/sightseeing as required.
Old 25-11-2017, 09:59   #14

Boat: Tartan30

I have done several deliveries that involved this trip. All were Singlehanded. Many required motoring dead into the wind for a couple of days headed south down the Bay. Some involved chipping ice off the boat and some not but that leg was very physical. I was on a Delivery schedule so maybe you will have more time to pick and choose.
Once in the AICW it's a stroll after being out in exposed water.
Check the Local Notice To Mariners LNM for temp closing of bridges and locks. I looks like they are doing quite a lot of work in that section, and some days are several days long. Salty's Southeast site if a good one for very current info like this. It's a great trip, I just have never really had the time to go slow and enjoy it. Some folks tell me that is supposed to be the point of it all.....lol

Scotty Daum
Tartan30 #260 "REHAB"
New Bern NC
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw