Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: I love cruising because it teaches humility

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Running aground can also be useful. There was a fast boat with a deep keel that used to show up occasionally on race day. The only way to beat him was to lead him into shallow water and run him aground. He wasn't here often enough to learn where all the shallow spots are.
I knew I liked you for some reason...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 16:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Where was the rock?
I'm betting it was underwater
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:12   #18

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

When I purchased my boat, the seller had a "captain" to sail the boat for its sea trial. We sailed out of his home port on waters very familiar to him. He ran aground TWICE!

I know I will put this boat aground some day, it is just a matter of time. I hope I do it gently.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:52   #19

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

well if they wouldn't put the bottom so close to my keel id be just fine... I was tired from coming for st Augustine got stooped in the inlet in GA for a sub coming in, turned in this crappy little channel looking for a space, didn't like it so decided to go further down to the city marina, new there was a bad storm coming in and cut the channel short not even paying attention. got stuck right next to the pole that said stay in Chanel. luckily was able to jump in the water and push us off what nasty black mud that was..
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
I'm betting it was underwater
Actually it is a drying rock in an area with an 18 foot tide.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:56   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Actually it is a drying rock in an area with an 18 foot tide.
And well known by the local's.

I stopped in a small cove just a little ways from the rock to assess the damage. Next morning I talked to a couple in a water front cabin in the entrance. They said it gets hit a lot by the power boaters who are on it before they can react.

It really should have a marker!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:58   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I used to go aground intentionally...... In a lake....too lazy to anchor... Take a nice nap and kedge her off. A new take on "if this boat is rockin". Idora has not been aground under my care but the PO put her on one up near Nanaimo. That's how she got refastened, a plus for me!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:02   #23

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

My only advice is try not to go aground in water that is a lot deeper than you boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

It really should have a marker!!!
It is clearly charted and visible 3.4 meters at chart datum. In a large tide it would be about 3 meters under the water.

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

That chart makes it so visible.

Unfortunately, that's not real. There was no visible evidence of a rock that far off the shoreline (1/4 mile). I was on a incoming tide and the rock was 2 meters down. As well, it was late and I was searching the chart ahead of me for a gunk hole that wasn't so damn deep.

The next thing I knew the boat was lifted right out of the water, came back down and before I could get myself off the deck and shut down the motor, it hit again.

At least, I'm not the first and most likely not the last.
Old 08-09-2014, 19:40   #26

Boat: Homebilt, Motor Sailor, 30'

I have had humility just not from grounding. Like the time I unbagged my sails at the dock and tied the jib to pulpit so it would be ready to hoist as soon as I cleared the harbor which effectively hid my shore power cord. I backed out of the slip I was in and motored out of the harbor proudly waving to all the people on their boats while trailing my power cord from the bow. At least I didn't take the meter box with me.
Sealaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:06   #27

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

We ran our boat aground the very first time we took her out! In east tn the lake water levels are lowered during the winter months and we took her out in march. It's funny because the whole time she ran so wonderfully and I kept thinking to myself this is too good to be true! We were closing in on the marina and were discussing the best approach on how to dock when we suddenly lurched forward. It was a smooth stick in red clay mud. We attempted tossing our anchor to pull us out (but the darn thing never held in the mud). We finally waved down a super duper power boat and tied our halyard to them and they tugged us sideways making the keel come loose. For a split second I thought we were gonna flip, it was quite exciting. And immediately after my boyfriend docked us like a pro. We just weren't thinking that a large underwater island would be so close to the marina but after examining a map it's pretty clear and there are channels out to the side to take. Taught us a good lesson though!
Old 08-09-2014, 20:09   #28

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Only time I was right. Sailing north out of Bahia Tortugas (Turtle Bay) in Baja Sur... I said no no no you can't take the short cut. They said ahhh you're so conservative. I was right and I gladly gave the local fishermen a couple six packs for pulling us off.

JimK
Old 10-09-2014, 13:24   #29

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
That chart makes it so visible.

Unfortunately, that's not real. There was no visible evidence of a rock that far off the shoreline (1/4 mile). I was on a incoming tide and the rock was 2 meters down. As well, it was late and I was searching the chart ahead of me for a gunk hole that wasn't so damn deep.

The next thing I knew the boat was lifted right out of the water, came back down and before I could get myself off the deck and shut down the motor, it hit again.

At least, I'm not the first and most likely not the last.
Well, I came within a few boat lengths of hitting a well charted but unmarked rock last week. I was being negligent and complacent.

I find it pretty shocking that you could possibly blame the Canadian government for your complacency. Why the heck would you want to come to a pristine wilderness and find a big post on every rock that might be dangerous? It's well charted, that's enough. Marks are for major channels and harbours where enough is going on that you can't be buried in your charts all the time. Do you have any idea how many rocks there are in Canada? We could spend our whole GDP littering the shorelines with daymarks and buoys and still only get half of them.

You were not the first and you will not be the last to hit that rock. And every skipper who's hit it wasn't paying attention to basic navigation in a wilderness location.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 14:30   #30

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Well, I came within a few boat lengths of hitting a well charted but unmarked rock last week. I was being negligent and complacent.

I find it pretty shocking that you could possibly blame the Canadian government for your complacency. Why the heck would you want to come to a pristine wilderness and find a big post on every rock that might be dangerous? It's well charted, that's enough. Marks are for major channels and harbours where enough is going on that you can't be buried in your charts all the time. Do you have any idea how many rocks there are in Canada? We could spend our whole GDP littering the shorelines with daymarks and buoys and still only get half of them.

You were not the first and you will not be the last to hit that rock. And every skipper who's hit it wasn't paying attention to basic navigation in a wilderness location.
Another great reason for virtual markers.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising