Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 10:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Not to Plan an Ocean Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
First of all - the 'pay for rescue' comments are plain stupid. Rescue services shouldn't be for those who can afford it, or for those "who deserve it" -- period. If you think otherwise, please think about that for a minute and let us all know who gets to decide who 'deserves' rescuing, and based on what criteria we let others sink or drown.

I also didn't hear any real info on what kind of rescuing they've needed, so what's the fuss about? What help have they needed and what trouble did they get into? The only rescue mentioned in the linked article is a tow into the harbor ...

The interview sounded like they're having fun with all the fuss, which is probably the best way to deal with it. Meanwhile, they're working on the boat and are having a great time. At least they're out there, which is more then many of us -myself included- can say ...
I think electrical/motor by the sounds of it.. one of the '7' calls was when an oil rig hailed them and asked if they were okay.. said they had a dead battery so the rig sent their launch out with a battery to start the engine..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 11:03   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How Not to Plan an Ocean Passage

I haven't listened to the interview.

If they're so blase about dying, why have they called for help 6 times? (The oil rig called them.) How the heck did they think they would charge the battery?

Is it that they don't respect the weather? the sea?

They're former pilots who thought it unnecessary to see to the mechanical integrity of their sailing platform?

Maybe it is more the truth that the ship is a bit too difficult for just the two of them to handle. Shame, nice lines, like Boatie said, a princess in rags.

Ann
Old 21-01-2016, 11:06   #18

Being a Cornishman
I think the phrase is ' Pisky lay'den'. Or to the English speaking folk led by the fairies.
At 71 yrs it's their right to be fool hardy and die at sea, but why the hell call the coast guard for help and possibly endanger others,
I grew up with several guys in the ( voluntary ) RNLI but I know they didn't train and give up their time to learn how to rescue idiots like these two.

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 11:11   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
one of the '7' calls was when an oil rig hailed them
Aha! So one "rescue call" is accepting help offered, another was a tow into the harbor.
Somehow, that doesn't sound too bad to me ...

I guess if these were 2 younger guys on a nicer looking boat, we'd never have heard about it.
Old 21-01-2016, 11:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I haven't listened to the interview.

If they're so blase about dying, why have they called for help 6 times? (The oil rig called them.) How the heck did they think they would charge the battery?

Is it that they don't respect the weather? the sea?

They're former pilots who thought it unnecessary to see to the mechanical integrity of their sailing platform?

Maybe it is more the truth that the ship is a bit too difficult for just the two of them to handle. Shame, nice lines, like Boatie said, a princess in rags.

Ann
Hi Ann.. allowing they've passed down coasts that have had unprecedented rainfall and gales the last couple of months.. 1000's of homes etc flooded..
I've lost electrics suddenly more than once for various and unknown reasons.. the best known here on CF being the 440 from Florida to Spain a couple of years back.. even the generator battery went.. electrician in Azores could find nothing wrong once we had charged back up with shore power.. and we had no problems again for the remaining 1500miles..
That's why I hope they have sense to stop a while and let things dry out a bit..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-01-2016, 11:28   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm with Lizzy, I'd want a little more info on what the rescues were before I passed judgement.
She is still afloat, and I'd guess they were never taken off the boat, so maybe rescue may not be the correct word?

I take it one was an ex Army pilot with essentially no sailing experience, the other has experience
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 11:32   #22

They better be careful around the Isles of Sillies, those ' boi's' down there will be after salvage as soon as they accept a tow line.
IMHO they deserve it.
the RNLI is able to operate in British waters as a charity because of donations, if these fellows want to utilise a rescue service because they are to lazy or choose not to prepare a vessel appropriately for the passage they are planning, why the hell should they not be charged for the rescue of themselves and vessel?

Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:26   #23
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

They still have quite a few rescues left to catch up to captain calamity.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...15th-time.html
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

There have been a few Captain Calamity's over the years on the S Coast..

Old 21-01-2016, 16:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Good on them.

Beats the crap outta being in a nursing home like my mother.
My sentiments too Mark.

Just had to put my father into a nursing home (he's 89) and while it's been quite tough looking after him the last 10+ years, it was and is heartbreaking to have him there, and not home here with me.

Thankfully it's a beautiful place, with great staff, first class food, he can still enjoy a drink, and he has a beautiful room.

Vascular dementia is a terrible thing, and he is somehow convinced I died several years back (so it's turning out to be a constant shock for him when I visit).

Still, I can now address my own issues, and as he always wanted to go cruising on a yacht, I can do that for him as well as for me, and Sis can show him photo's of the boat, places I visit (he supported Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup, and I am determined to get him a team shirt, scarf, and hat on my way), and they can ping the GPS with the DeLorme to get an instant update on my position (though Sis may have to do it as if it is an old scrap book from 'before I died').

The home is close to the water, so hopefully on a good day, he may even be able to come out for a sail.

So yeah, power to these two guys, they have spirit, will have a go, ARE having a go, and I wish them fair winds and gentle seas until they make it home. My young cousin is in helicopter S&R (after years of tours all over the place like Afghanistan, and Irag), he's got the same spirit, and he won't knock them for it I'm sure.

Heck I may even bump into them on my way back (yes I will buy them beer).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 17:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
They better be careful around the Isles of Sillies, those ' boi's' down there will be after salvage as soon as they accept a tow line.
IMHO they deserve it.
the RNLI is able to operate in British waters as a charity because of donations, if these fellows want to utilise a rescue service because they are to lazy or choose not to prepare a vessel appropriately for the passage they are planning, why the hell should they not be charged for the rescue of themselves and vessel?

Yet people are applauded for crossing the Atlantic in a rowing boat . . . . . .

and quite right too.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 17:17   #27

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

They need a nice big digital signboard at the marinas like we have on the highways here in Florida... "SILVER ALERT..."
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 19:27   #28

Boat: CS 27

In another one of the instances a patrol boat pulled them over to let them know their left turn signal was on.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:05   #29

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

That looks like an old wooden pilot cutter, quite possible it is about the same age as the crew so some mechanical issues could be understandable (great both though). However it does take a bit to get such comments out of a Cornish fisherman, they are true pro's, expect the amateurs to be at least a little incompetent and usually just smile.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:18   #30

Boat: TBC

The UK Coastguard and RNLI (lifeboats) are mostly volunteers.
There's no charge for being rescued by them as there is on the other side of the channel in France.

Seven rescues in a year is a bit steep so they must be doing something wrong.
Has the boat checked been checked over and found to be seaworthy. Have they maintained her or just plowed on regardless.
If this was me I'd be asking myself some serious questions after the first rescue never mind seven.

These volunteer rescue crews are putting their lives on the line whenever they go out to rescue, its almost an insult to hear these guys blame anything and everything but themselves.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, captain, passage, rescue, sail