Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 22:24   #1
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
So my question is: When you made your choice of a mono or Cat just how much influence did your wife really have? Was it like some people have told us, buy a Cat or leave me home or are these just old wives tales?
My question is: When you made your choice of boat just how much influence did your male partner really have? Was it like some people say: buy xyz or leave me home or are these just old men's tales?

We are currently planning the design of a new boat .

Now I must admit we will be living on board together, but how much say should a man have when it comes to boat design? My husband insists he has some requirements - cold drinks, hot showers, a large island bed, two lots of speakers for his hifi, a workbench and storage space for tools. Something about needing a super large anchor and oversized anchor winch too.

Should I humour the Admiral?
Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

SWL

__________________

__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 22:32   #2
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: How much say do men really have

Keeping the wife happy, personal comfort, ease of maintenance, and seaworthiness would be my top priorities
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 22:48   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My question is: When you made your choice of boat just how much influence did your male partner really have? Was it like some people say: buy xyz or leave me home or are these just old men's tales?

We are currently planning the design of a new boat .

Now I must admit we will be living on board together, but how much say should a man have when it comes to boat design? My husband insists he has some requirements - cold drinks, hot showers, a large island bed, two lots of speakers for his hifi, a workbench and storage space for tools. Something about needing a super large anchor and oversized anchor winch too.

Should I humour the Admiral?
Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

SWL

Yep humour the admiral, he deserves it but insist that the oversized anchor wench ain't going to happen.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 23:38   #4
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yep humour the admiral, he deserves it but insist that the oversized anchor wench ain't going to happen.
Sigh.... Yes, he does deserve it, if only for putting up with me .
I guess I should give in on that king sized island bed, but allocating him a little space for his tools seems a bit over the top.

As for oversized wenches, someone reading a recipe thread I started just suggested I must weigh 500lb. He obviously hasn't checked out "Photos of anchors setting"

SWL x
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 23:49   #5
Registered User
 
Bonis Eruptus's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sidney, British Columbia
Boat: Hullmaster 27
Posts: 7
Re: How much say do men really have

__________________
Bonis Eruptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 00:01   #6
Registered User
 
CrustyChief's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Las Vegas Nv./ Portland
Boat: Selene 47
Posts: 75
Re: How much say do men really have

Yes Dear, while within earshot! Still gonna do what I planned on, just have to think it through, so she thinks it's her Idea. Works for me.
__________________
John & Tracey
Mvpairadice.blogspot.com
I can explain, I just can't make ya understand!
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 00:11   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Sigh.... Yes, he does deserve it, if only for putting up with me .
I guess I should give in on that king sized island bed, but allocating him a little space for his tools seems a bit over the top.

As for oversized wenches, someone reading a recipe thread I started just suggested I must weigh 500lb. He obviously hasn't checked out "Photos of anchors setting"

SWL x
We all have (except those visually impaired) and may I say, keep on mermaiding!! (if there is such a term, LOL).
Oh and BTW all the camera equipment deserves its own space, although I guess it could travel with the rest of the tools.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 00:18   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,960
Re: How much say do men really have

I'm not for a moment going to suggest that I am pussy whipped although we do have a rather large litter box aboard and we don't own a cat.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:08   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: How much say do men really have

ha ha ha first of all, ye gotta eat a hella lot more to become an oversized andhor wEnch...rodlmffao.....

now, as for male say in my boat-- there is NONE except that which my mechanic says, as he is a god of diesels...

or my wood worker who mkes my wood parts for boat...

or the welder......

or rigger..

or sailmaker ..

but NOT crew.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:55   #10
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: How much say do men really have

I'd suggest trying to gently bring him around to your point of view. Males can be stupid and don't always understand the obvious limitations of a cruising boat. Perhaps something along these lines could help...

Him "I think a big bed would be a nice idea"
You "there's plenty of sails in the bow for you to sleep on"
Him "how about a nice big water heater?"
You " cold water cleans just as well, anyway, how the hell do you think we could provide the power?"
Him " Er..you know I like my music, can we have a big ass stereo and real speakers?"
You " are you not listening?? I just told you about power..do you think stereos run on air???"

Just remember, he might be the admiral but you are the captain and responsible for the safety and well being of the vessel and all lives on board. If you have to take him along to any design or construction meetings, best take an iPad with angry birds loaded to keep him from interfering with important discussions and decisions, and for gods sake don't let him on a catamaran...
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:04   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'd suggest trying to gently bring him around to your point of view. Males can be stupid and don't always understand the obvious limitations of a cruising boat. Perhaps something along these lines could help...

Him "I think a big bed would be a nice idea"
You "there's plenty of sails in the bow for you to sleep on"
Him "how about a nice big water heater?"
You " cold water cleans just as well, anyway, how the hell do you think we could provide the power?"
Him " Er..you know I like my music, can we have a big ass stereo and real speakers?"
You " are you not listening?? I just told you about power..do you think stereos run on air???"

Just remember, he might be the admiral but you are the captain and responsible for the safety and well being of the vessel and all lives on board. If you have to take him along to any design or construction meetings, best take an iPad with angry birds loaded to keep him from interfering with important discussions and decisions, and for gods sake don't let him on a catamaran...
if you DO allow him to see a catamaran, allow him to go aboard, then sail away really really fast while the beer is still cold. take yours with ye. be really fast......
bring the dog/cat
load ipad with many many games....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,854
Re: How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My question is: When you made your choice of boat just how much influence did your male partner really have? Was it like some people say: buy xyz or leave me home or are these just old men's tales?



... Should I humour the Admiral?

Suggestions gratefully appreciated.



SWL




Enough of these simple question of male or female decision making. That is so last century.

Today the questions should be about threesome transgender interfaith couplings who speak no common language. In this case who decides which anchor to hide the guns under.


S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:15   #13
Mike
 
msrcal36's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond YC, SF Bay
Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35
Posts: 101
Re: How much say do men really have

How about seaworthy, sailing ability (especially to weather), ability to be sailed by two, comfort at sea (motion in a seaway) before hifi, workbench, island bed. Perhaps a nice condo on the water and a charter boat?
__________________
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:18   #14
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: How much say do men really have

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ha ha ha first of all, ye gotta eat a hella lot more to become an oversized andhor wEnch...rodlmffao.....

now, as for male say in my boat-- there is NONE except that which my mechanic says, as he is a god of diesels...

or my wood worker who mkes my wood parts for boat...

or the welder......

or rigger..

or sailmaker ....
Yes, I agree. Zee. Men definitely have their uses.
You forgot one very vital function though .

Guess Uncle Bob is right. Perhaps I do need to humour the Admiral occasionally. How many tools does a guy really need though? It is not as if he can use more than one at any one time .

SWL
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:18   #15
Registered User
 
Amapola's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Posts: 809
Re: How much say do men really have

We both have had equal say in purchasing all of our boats.
__________________

__________________
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
—Jacques Yves Costeau
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much say do women really have robert sailor General Sailing Forum 190 26-06-2016 08:47
Too good to be true? Really, really cheap BlueCharts skipmac Navigation 2 22-12-2014 20:09
Some Ads Are Really Really Slow . . . Catamount Forum Tech Support & Site Help 3 15-01-2011 11:05
Minikota how much thrust do I really need? jon.wright.lbc Monohull Sailboats 5 17-12-2008 13:37
So how much does it really cost? JaredPWagner Multihull Sailboats 8 17-11-2007 18:58



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.