Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 11:07   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: How Do You Anchor In Deep Ocean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
I have been reading the single-handed sailing book and Muse's adventures, and find that I thoroughly enjoyed it (the free PDF version), finishing it just moments ago. I figured that while I awaited Hurricane Matthew's approach and the power failure that would surely follow arrival, and fretting over whether I have done all possible to ensure that Equinox is secure on her hard stands in the now inaccessible yard (as I believe the bridge to the area has been closed or will soon be).

I am definitely intrigued that the chain of mini-drogues mentioned in the text has so much power, but understand that slowing of the vessel is the desire rather than full halting of it when those devices are deployed. I am considering whether it is possible or even advisable for me to make a set before heading out after the repairs to my boat are complete.

That said, I also find it interesting that there is so much confusion over which lights should be displayed in the sleeping process, and the variation of opinions over what constitutes a hazard to others, especially when comparing a tiny fiberglass or wood sailing vessel of 30 feet or less versus a steel container vessel within a large ocean. I would be amazed if one of those massive ships even slowed down from the impact forces of striking a sailing boat, let alone took real damage from the collision, so I am unsure that the lighting and ball flying really would be of much use, especially with a captain that is up and down for 20 minutes at a cycle or less. Still, I am no racer, not by a LONG shot, and am a newbie in sailing even, when it comes to off-shore activity (my experience is in power boats and military naval craft).

It would seem reasonable that a certain latitude is possible that would favor the small craft operator given that this person is most likely the recipient of all damage and risk...??
I'm thinking at least offshore where there are few lights you have a chance of being seen or you seeing them.

I was sailing back towards Little Creek at about 10:30 pm one night last year and missed a small red light among the 100's of other lights.

Lights from cars, street lights, house lights, my creeks Navigational Aid Lights, flashing red and green buoy lights, small fast powerboat running lights, lights from the bridge, etc.

The little red light I missed was attached to an outbound container ship.

The pilot, sounding like he was at home in his study, radioed me (Sailboat heading SW 1/4 mile North of Thimble Shoal Channel what are your intentions?) to ask WTF?

I looked around my jib for the 10th time and this time noticed the little red light and the gigantic ghostly looking mass attached to it

The next day I was thinking it would be nice to have radar or AIS......for this coastal cruising business
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:09   #122
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What is the safety difference between...
* sailing slowly (reduce speed a little)
* sitting still

Either way you are at some risk of being run over and cannot yield. In neither case is your speed very relevant to hitting anybody. It's not like there is a designated anchorage available.

If the boat is moving and you are awakened by something close by, you are in a better position to avoid.

Might as well press on.
Old 07-10-2016, 16:51   #123
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

[QUOTE=SailingFan;2229442

I am definitely intrigued that the chain of mini-drogues mentioned in the text has so much power, but understand that slowing of the vessel is the desire rather than full halting of it when those devices are deployed. I am considering whether it is possible or even advisable for me to make a set before heading out after the repairs to my boat are complete.
[/QUOTE]

I think it would be an interesting exercise for a solo sailor to compare different tactics in deep water with lots of sea room.

First measure the natural drift and orientation of the boat to the waves with no sails or sea anchor

Then lower ground anchor and heavy chain fully out and measure same drift and orientation.

Is the bow significantly higher to the waves?
Do you get a yo yo effect from the deployed weight in the water?
Is the bow slow to rise with this setup?

Does deployment of ground anchor and chain help significantly on your boat?

Then simply hove to with backed jib and reefed main as is is normal. (No anchor out) and measure same.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 21:36   #124

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Hmmm. Connecting dots.... Basic reasoning is related to common sense, and neither is common or basic. is it time for the Colregs to be re-re-re-reviewed? If The NUC is being is being widely misused and or misinterpreted, more work is needed. Also, while I see nothing incorrect about the 50/50 liability split in the case cited earlier, it still feels wrong that a solo sailor cannot legally sleep in reasonable peace out of the shipping lanes with the proper visual signal, day or night. Being able to do something legally does not necessarily change the risk of doing it, but to make it impossible to do it legally is bureaucratic nonsense. I see a big difference between a vessel not under command, and one that cannot be controlled.
Old 07-10-2016, 23:28   #125

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Hmmm. Connecting dots.... Basic reasoning is related to common sense, and neither is common or basic. is it time for the Colregs to be re-re-re-reviewed? If The NUC is being is being widely misused and or misinterpreted, more work is needed. Also, while I see nothing incorrect about the 50/50 liability split in the case cited earlier, it still feels wrong that a solo sailor cannot legally sleep in reasonable peace out of the shipping lanes with the proper visual signal, day or night. Being able to do something legally does not necessarily change the risk of doing it, but to make it impossible to do it legally is bureaucratic nonsense. I see a big difference between a vessel not under command, and one that cannot be controlled.
Where exactly is 'out of the shipping lanes'?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:31   #126

Quote:
I see a big difference between a vessel not under command, and one that cannot be controlled.
Except there is no difference under the Colregs.

Quote:
The Rule 3 definition of a "vessel not under command" is that of a vessel "unable to maneuver as required" of ordinary vessels because of "exceptional circumstance."
Quote:
A vessel not under command has usually suffered a disability, which is not easy to predict or classify. An example would be a vessel with a disabled rudder.
Rule 27

It is the vessel that is disabled, not the crew.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:36   #127

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

There is no need to anchor, there are plenty of truck-stops, park, grab a burger and some sleep.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Foolish,
Thanks for mentioning the 3am syndrome. I surely get that, rested or not. And there are times even during the brightest of days when your mind can wander as far afield as an Internet thread.

There are various and sundry dangers we face. Single handing is not the biggest. I HATE NYC harbor, scares the bejesus outta me. Long tows at night give me the willies.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:54   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Where exactly is 'out of the shipping lanes'?
If you really do not know, please go back and delete your 3000+ posts since they are unreliable. If you do know, you are aware there is not exact answer, no answer that would fit in the space available, and you are simply being an ass. If you are speaking on behalf of those who may actually wonder, but are unable to use Google or some other source or search device, below is a quote I copied from Wikipedia. As I suspect you know, the idea is to avoid the areas where you are more likely to get run down by a large vessel heading, hell bent for leather for its next port via the best route. As you also know, cruising vessels under sail tend to follow routes that are related to prevailing winds, while commercial vessels have separate abilities and priorities that may allow more direct routes. There are outliers, and always will be (I hope) but reducing unnecessary risk is always a matter for consideration. So you ever look at charts, read books, or even the spin occasional globe?

"A sea lane, sea road or shipping lane is a regularly used route for vessels on oceans and large lakes."

BTW, "out of" is the opposite of "in the."

Please, next time, try to hit the bowl, not your leg.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:30   #130

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Thank you for those few kind words.

Twenty four hours worth of position reports.....

Thats from here... Space Station Keeps Watch on World's Sea Traffic | NASA

While, in some areas, the risk of encountering a ship decreases the risk of being hit by the ship you do encounter increases as their vigilance eases off, what with them being out of the shipping lanes and all.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47   #131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

While, in some areas, the risk of encountering a ship decreases the risk of being hit by the ship you do encounter increases as their vigilance eases off, what with them being out of the shipping lanes and all.
Wonder how many of those little blips are actually ships and how many are sleeping solo sailors with AIS

Whats the time cycle ? i.e. if it's once an hour, each ship is shown 24 times If it's once every 2 minutes ...... well you figure it out.
Old 08-10-2016, 13:20   #132

Quote:

Do you actually believe the relative size of the blips is a reasonable representation? If so, and you are correct, all we need is a few more and we can walk anywhere without touching water. Go back to sleep and fire up the anchor light.For what it is worth, when I first placed it the depiction, I thought it might be a green fishing net wrapped around your prop shaft. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-10-2016, 13:22   #133

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

With sea anchor or drogue the lights should be red-white-red.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:30   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
With sea anchor or drogue the lights should be red-white-red.

BR Teddy
Nope.

Quote:
Rule 3 defines a "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" as one unable to keep out of the way because of "the nature of her work."
No work is being done. This applies to dredgers, cable layers, etc..
Old 08-10-2016, 18:34   #135

Quote:

"A sea lane, sea road or shipping lane is a regularly used route for vessels on oceans and large lakes."

BTW, "out of" is the opposite of "in the."
Commercial vessels use great circle routes. The "shipping lane" is the shortest distance between their departure and their destination while avoiding hazards such as a land.

Tags
anchor