Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2018, 14:16   #1

Boat: Ted brewer 40
Here’s my new boat.

https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...-hawaii-149661

I introduced myself real quick a few weeks ago when I bought Kolea. Now that I’ve had a few weeks to take it all in and get familiar with this forum, I’d like to post details on her. I’d love any positive or negative feedback. I’m a full time captain and this is my first sailboat. All my experience is on powerboats. I did not get a survey done on her but there is a survey from three years ago available by email if anyone is curious. She was bought on Oahu and made the crossing to Maui where I work under powersail no major problems except a burned up transmission. So far I’ve worked on and am working on several projects to get her acceptable. I have a new transmission coming hopefully within a few weeks or less. She needs some new rigging. The 48 Perkins 4.108 needs minor engine stuff. Main sail needs replaced in a few years or less. Little stretch. She has no shore power and will be kept on a mooring. No marina nearby so beach loading. She doesn’t have a water maker, radar, and good bottom machine yet. Still will need a life raft before leaving Hawaii. I need a few years or so of sailing experience. She needs new bottom paint and a new layer of top deck paint. I think I got a good deal on her price wise if there is such a thing in regards to boat buying. The link above should have 179 pictures I believe. The original owner/ builder has passed away and the previous owner had her three years and really only used her as a livaboard. With the immense experience on this board, I’d love to hear your thoughts and is beyond appreciated. I don’t feel overwhelmed or in over my head so far.
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:00   #2

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Here’s my new boat.

I'm jealous! I grew up out there & just went back for a visit last month. It truly is paradise. Looks like she's cold molded? Do you plan to live aboard? Since you did not get a survey I'm gonna assume that you don't have insurance. I'm not gonna beat you up over not getting a survey since it's already done but you might want to rethink no insurance if that's the case. Even just liability would be a good idea. I would dive your mooring to make sure it's in good shape and use chafe gear on your 2 mooring lines. You say she needs bottom paint so I'll assume you did not pull her to inspect the bottom before you bought her. I'd do that as soon as possible. Good luck & enjoy paradise!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:30   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I assuming you are in Lahaina? Many moons since I have been to Maui.. is there a marina at Maalaea where you can haul out? I too would say it's a good idea to take a good look at the bottom, prop, shaft... I'm sure you've thought of that especially now that you'll be replacing the transmission. Congratulations and send more photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 17:18   #4

Tons of photos in the link. It was hauled out 2016. The survey was fabtastic and I have full and liability up to half a mill. I’m having a mooring put in so at anchor for now south of Maalaea off sugar beach. All sand bottom for miles. I’ll hooefully have the mooring in less than two months. I’m living aboard kayaking or dingy it to shore. Maui is special except for no livaboards or slips in the two marinas. So a few years or more then hopefully sail a while and find slips.
Old 15-12-2018, 17:23   #5

Tons of photos in the link. It was hauled out 2016. The survey was fabtastic and I have full and liability up to half a mill. I’m having a mooring put in so at anchor for now south of Maalaea off sugar beach. All sand bottom for miles. I’ll hooefully have the mooring in less than two months. I’m living aboard kayaking or dingy it to shore. Maui is special except for no livaboards or slips in the two marinas. So a few years or more then hopefully sail a while and find slips.
Old 15-12-2018, 23:48   #6

Boat: Hanse 531

Congratulations and great to hear that everything is going quite ok!

I surfed through the photos and she's quite adorable. I like the light/white interior! It feels quite fresh. Overall there's a sweet (and a bit nostalgic) appeal to her.

Is that really a charcoal grill there in the middle of the cockpit?

I giggled at the book on the shelf (see picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 9.34.50.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	182315  
Old 16-12-2018, 17:35   #7

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

Congratulations! Good luck with her, fair winds.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 17:43   #8

The book didn’t come with the boat. Boo. It’s got a bare bones old school look. Not really any bright work. She’s nice enough that she will simply impress but not overly irritating. You can tell she was built to sail and be functional. Not to show off to the jones’ and boast. Easy maintenance. The whit needs a good cleaning or eventually repainted one day but for me mr clean eraser works for now. I never saw the fire pit but yes they had one. What I do need is a boat girlfriend to do cleaning and de man cave it. Just needs mire of a touch than a single outdoorsy tools laying around guy from Texas. Maybe some organization girl style stuff.

Tags
boat