Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2004, 19:26   #1

Headin' South...

First, Thanks Jeff H for the ride from the airport. That saved me some serious logistic issues as well as a few dollars.

This trip south from Deale, MD to Fernandina Beach, FL started out on a bad note. We've planned for weather and breakdowns, but not for lift problems! I felt lucky Monday that the boat yard was going to get me in the water a day earlier than scheduled. The lift arrived late in the day and took us off the stands. We quickly walked down to the water and waited for them to arrive as they crawled along with Exposure in the slings. 15 minutes went by when my wife decided to walk back and see what the delay was, while I wathced the kids. She came back to report that the lift driver had run into the bow sprit of a power boat. It had lifted it off the jack stands on one side! In the process a hydraulic hose broke on the lift, spraying fluid everywhere. As this lift was completely hydraulic, we were stuck. They moved the other boats around and cleaned up the mess. But, we were stuck in the slings until the morning, when a mechanic could make repairs. So much for an early start.

But, today was a great day, even if we did have to motor all afternoon. We are at Solomons Island, MD and will be heading further south at sunrise tomorrow. We were treated to a nice sunset while we ate crabs in the salon. Now it's off to bed...

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 20:03   #2

Sorry I'm too tired to write much now. I'll write a trip report when I return. So far we have made it to MM 229 in Swansboro. We've mostly been motoring/motorsailing into the wind. But we did have a nice reach down the Nuese River today. We're still looking to go outside from Cape fear in a couple of days and it looks like we may have a window.

Later, Woody
Old 01-06-2004, 21:46   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Heading South East

Monday the 7th of June we are setting course for the Exuma chain in the Bahamas.

If no major weather is kicking up, we should be in the Bahamas the 8th, the Berrys the 10th and the Exumas the 12th.

Ya guys going that direction too?

Look for the proud ship "Rhapsody"..Especially around happy-hour....Cold beer and warm sun to be had for all.
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 16:57   #4

No, we're bringing our boat home to Fernandina Beach, Fl. We're in Wrightsville beach tonight. A crowded, rolly and windy anchorage. I may not sleep too well tonight. Tomorrow it's to Bald Head Island then hopefully offshore.

Woody

Old 03-06-2004, 18:52   #5

Well, Bald Head Island was full up due to a big annual fishing contest. On top of that, the little low that was supposed to give us a nice wind shift to the north has turned into a nasty cold front complete with thunderstorms. So we will ocntinue down the ditch past lockwoods folly inlet and the old pontoon bridge. We will probably run out of time in Charleston and have to leave the boat for a couple of weeks. Time for bed...

Woody
Old 06-06-2004, 07:06   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Isn't It the way it always goes

Hey Woody,

Sounds like my world. Some times its seems if it can go wrong it will. But I always look back and know it could have been worse. At least I'm doing what I want to be doing. Some folks only get to dream about what I get to try.

Fair winds

Gary
Old 07-06-2004, 11:32   #7

We're home...

I truely understand why people say that having a schedule when travelling the ICW is the wrong way to do things. But, I have to keep earning those freedom chips, so it's back to work. We did make it into Charleston, SC at 5:00 PM yesterday and have left the boat at a marina for the week. We rented a car and now I am behind my desk, although it is rocking . We almost didn't make it to Charleston when the Ben Sawyer bridge broke down and we had to anchor in the channel. This was with all the weekend speed boats buzzing around staring at us. I was sure all the wakes would cause the anchor to drag in the strong current and wind. They did finally get the bridge repaired and opened. We made it home about 1:30 AM and in bed an hour later. Today I'm a zombie!

Woody
Old 07-06-2004, 20:03   #8
mpk

Exposure--

It's so great to learn of your progress!- since we will eventually be heading up North for the H-season, we can trace your way. I believe we are going to make our home base SC and the Charleston area seems to be the place - pls keep us posted on how that stay turns out! We close on our boat Friday of this week - we fly down to Lauderdale Thursday completely excited to begin the adventure. We got an offer on the condo after less than 24 hrs of our listing and we will hopefully be live aboards by July 15th. I remember that you wanted to hear when the boat was "truly ours" - well I think we've swaddled the babe!
The Lagoon 380, dspl 15,600 lbsn and several 8 ounces come Friday.

mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 21:37   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Now back from 22 days in the Bahamas....Nice, very nice.

Going back in a few weeks or so.

The Exumas was heaven on earth, bar none.

See ya there.

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote