Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15   #76
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,189
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I've read this thread with interest, but so far have been disappointed. Not only can nobody come up with an instance where this technique saved lives, they can't even come up with a situation where it worked. I'm thinking of putting my efforts into a mob system that works with AIS. At least I have heard of that working.
Bit like life really.... great in the planning and theory...
But reality often sucks...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19   #77
Registered User
 
Triton318's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hayes, Virginia
Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Posts: 289
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The chances of the average overweight middle aged European or American doing this I would think slim.
What are you saying? lol
__________________

__________________
Jay White
S/V Dove
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:29   #78
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

The last thing I'd every want to do on a bucking and thrashing boat is trail something on the water. Any rope should be a control line or stowed. Between jacklines, tethers, and "trailing lines" that's a lot of crap deployed to clutter a boat and snag on things.

The only thing we drag is fishing lures.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:31   #79
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I've read this thread with interest, but so far have been disappointed. Not only can nobody come up with an instance where this technique saved lives, they can't even come up with a situation where it worked. I'm thinking of putting my efforts into a mob system that works with AIS. At least I have heard of that working.
Bernard Mortissier would jump off the back of his boat and swim at low speeds then catch the float at the end and pull himself back to get some exercise. So there's a case where it worked. It's funny how most icons of sailing were rarely if ever found with jacklines and harnesses attached.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45   #80
Registered User
 
pdxsailordiver's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland,OR (W7TPH)
Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Posts: 197
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

I fell off once. Santana 28 motoring 4 -54 kts flat water. I was towing a zodiac behind the boat. This was when I was in my late 30's fit and strong. I got to the dingy as it went by grabbed a line on the dingy that went from bow to stern and no way I could hold on. Not even in FULL PANIC mode. Scariest sight you will see is the stern of your boat as it is going away.
Tim
__________________
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:04   #81
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,189
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
I fell off once. Santana 28 motoring 4 -54 kts flat water. I was towing a zodiac behind the boat. This was when I was in my late 30's fit and strong. I got to the dingy as it went by grabbed a line on the dingy that went from bow to stern and no way I could hold on. Not even in FULL PANIC mode. Scariest sight you will see is the stern of your boat as it is going away.
Tim
So... are you posting from a cloud... or did the boat run outa fuel...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:27   #82
Registered User
 
Jimbo485's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: some ocean down under
Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Posts: 1,247
They are not lifelines. We call them deathlines so new crew understand that they cannot be relied on to save you.

We would take them off but then we would need to erect an alternative to hang out the washing. So for now, they stay.... As death lines and clotheslines, but never lifelines.
__________________

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:09   #83
Registered User
 
pdxsailordiver's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland,OR (W7TPH)
Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Posts: 197
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Boatman61
This would be funny if my story was not true.
My wife and two young children were aboard. Thankfully my wife looked out from inside the cabin where she and the kids were, When the boat made a sudden turn. Saw I was not in the cockpit and got back to me before I drowned in front of my kids. I am not a swimmer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So... are you posting from a cloud... or did the boat run outa fuel...
__________________
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:18   #84
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,189
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
Boatman61
This would be funny if my story was not true.
My wife and two young children were aboard. Thankfully my wife looked out from inside the cabin where she and the kids were, When the boat made a sudden turn. Saw I was not in the cockpit and got back to me before I drowned in front of my kids. I am not a swimmer.
Mate... the true story's are always the funniest.. when its a happy ending...
have you taken swimming lessons since... or d'ya just make sure your clipped on these days... plus a LJ...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:25   #85
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Bernard Mortissier would jump off the back of his boat and swim at low speeds then catch the float at the end and pull himself back to get some exercise. So there's a case where it worked. It's funny how most icons of sailing were rarely if ever found with jacklines and harnesses attached.
I do this also, with a trusted hand at the helm. We use the spinnaker halyard to swing out over the ocean. No biggie in protected or calm waters. In rough water or the boat going faster than 2-3 knots.... Forget it.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:28   #86
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Have Tailing Lines Ever Saved A Solo Sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
Boatman61
This would be funny if my story was not true.
My wife and two young children were aboard. Thankfully my wife looked out from inside the cabin where she and the kids were, When the boat made a sudden turn. Saw I was not in the cockpit and got back to me before I drowned in front of my kids. I am not a swimmer.
You sail and you cannot swim? Not only are you braver than I will ever be, but I wouldn't even allow you on my boat!
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.