Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 21:52   #1

Boat: Leopard 38' cat
Hamilton Island Whitsundays qld Australia.

Hi fellow yachties. I Am going to a weeding on Hamilton Island and would really like to take my leopard cat.is there beaches or bays around the island that I can Moore at that still have reasonable access to the islands activities. The reason I don't want to stay at the marina is I have 2dogs and have been told by marina dogs aren't welcome.l
Look forward to your valued experiences in the Whitsundays.
Cheers
Peter and lois
Lucky and Sasha
Peter Gazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 21:59   #2

Boat: Catalina C42
Re: Hamilton Island Whitsundays qld Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gazzard View Post
Hi fellow yachties. I Am going to a weeding on Hamilton Island and would really like to take my leopard cat.is there beaches or bays around the island that I can Moore at that still have reasonable access to the islands activities. The reason I don't want to stay at the marina is I have 2dogs and have been told by marina dogs aren't welcome.l
Cheers
Peter and lois
Lucky and Sasha
Hi Peter
When we were there last year there were moorings just outside the marina. Plenty of bays to choose from on the surrounding islands
Old 29-04-2015, 23:19   #3

There are moorings for hire on the opposite side of Dent channel from the marina. If you have a decent dinghy and good weather, you could anchor in Gulnare inlet too.

But anywhere you stay, dogs are going to be a problem, because almost everywhere there is national park.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 23:46   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Beach 25 is a popular place where people camp that don't use the marina. Good holding on firm sand and you can "sneak" to the beach with the puppies. From there it's a quick dash to Gulnare Inlet if the weather heads south. Beware Gulnare really doesn't have anywhere to land except a small spot further up the inlet.

PS Enjoy your weeding. The place could use a clean up
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 02:18   #5

Do not I repeat do not leave your vessel unattended on the Hamilton mornings or the three public mornings, do not use these mornings if you would be attached during a tide change. More so if it is a rising tide with a south easterly blowing.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 02:36   #6

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Peter,
I know that to have a dog on Hamilton Island you require permission from National Parks (Permit) and also permission from the owners of Hammo. We were there last year on our cat with our dog on board. There was no issue as long as the dog stayed on board and did not become a nuisance by barking. We saw quite a few cruisers with dogs on board while we were there.
Actually I just read the Rules of the Marina dated 1st April 2015 its states
18. Pets

18.1 Cats are strictly prohibited on the Marina or onboard a vessel berthed within the Marina.

18.2 Applications for temporary permission to keep a dog onboard a vessel must be submitted to

corporateservices@hamiltonisland.com.au before arriving at the Marina. Enquiries can be made by

phoning 07 4946 8119 between 9am to 1pm or 07 4946 8630 between 2pm to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Approval of applications are at the sole discretion of the Marina Operator.

18.3 The dog is to be kept on a leash at all times while off the vessel.

18.4 The person in control of the dog must immediately remove any dog faeces from the Marina in a plastic bag

to a rubbish bin and appropriately wash down the area.

Its possible there has been a policy change which is going to screw up our plans with the dog as well. A quick phone call to the marina will confirm the above.

Airlie allows dogs but has a fairly stringent (common sense) policy regarding them. Always go to Airlie and catch a ferry over and return after the wedding. It is very hard up that way to find an area to let your dog on a beach. Most of the area is either marine park which stops dogs on the beach to the high water mark or national park which stops dogs on the beach to the high water mark.
Rangers were patrolling Woodwark Bay while we there looking for infractions by pet owners.

Greg, Sue and Bella the sea Dog
SV Sunshine
lagoon 410 S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:56   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gazzard View Post
Cheers
Peter and lois
Lucky and Sasha
I'd be less concerned about your cat and more concerned about your weed! Even on Hamilton weed is illegal. (sniffing stuff with your nose my be more acceptable in that environment)
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:11   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

No dogs are allowed in national park areas of the Whitsundays and no permit scheme exists. Hamilton Island is not a national park.

National Parks:http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/wh...activities.pdf

What you can and can't do:
Enjoying the Whitsundays - GBRMPA

Quote:
No pets are allowed on national park islands. In addition, in the Whitsunday Islands National Park, dogs are not permitted on any beach, even intertidal areas.
From personal observation, the above rule for the most part appears to be ignored by many pet dog endowed cruisers.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:21   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

We were on Hamilton Is in 2013 and took our dog everywhere. You want get a berth during race week. Anchoring close by would make me nervous unless your are prepared for a decent dingy ride.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia