Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51   #16

Boat: Mahogany Centerborder 30 foot, 1937
Re: Greece's Loss Your Gain?

Do I get you right, mcgranec, the germans caused the problem by lending money? They should have let Greece, Irland and the others go down when the crisis started? Or should they simply not have entered the EU in the first place and spent their money in their own affairs the last decades?

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
woodenboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:52   #17

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Desperate governments have a nasty habit of taxing everything they can especially if it is perceived as "wealth". And yachts are seen as being wealth. So don't expect Greece to be cheap if you own a boat, be prepared for a "smash & grab" tax raid on it.

Italy has already done this to their citizens, which is why many Italian boats fled across the Adriatic to Slovenia and Croatia a couple of years ago. France did it several years ago with their "solidarity tax" on wealth, which included non citizen resident overseas savings (I know, we got hit with a 75% tax grab!!)

If they can't tax you as a citizen then they will get you any way they can.

Personally I can't see Greece being kicked out of the EU. Yes they may well have to exit the Euro but that's not the same thing. In fact it might be a good thing for the Euro if Greece is allowed to step out in a negotiated manner. Even if Greece does leave the EU there is no reason why it would not be allowed to remain in the EEA (European Economic Area) and Schengen just as Norway and Switzerland are members of both.

Certainly going to be a difficult period for the country either way it goes but as the Chinese proverb goes "may you live in interesting times".
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26   #18

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

forget about it. unless you could strike a deal with the seller to get it on a bank outside of greece. teh euro is bumping back and greece cannot afford it to get out of the euro. they are not allowed to print their own money.
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:29   #19

it is not the problem of who lend whom money. the greece have been cheating in their accounting long before entering the eurozone and euro currency. do not always try to blame those horrible germans (btw one of the few countries, to which the states do not belong, with a balanced budget! to the joy of the taxpayers)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:39   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgranec View Post
If Greece goes bust and the Brits exit, we will finally realise that Germany have been behind this break-up. Irresponsible lending by German banks, pension funds and the like led to the troubles in Ireland, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain. Yet their muscle has ensured that their banks are defended and protected at the expense of the ordinary people in the streets. Yet, the lenders are only now having it put up to them by the stubborn Greeks. I only wish the Irish Government had stood up to irresponsible lending and let the banks sort it out amongst themselves. There should have been blood on the streets, Bankers blood and the politicians who allowed them to play the electorate like they did.
I reckon it has been Pass The Parcel (debt) since the GFC. The banks should have copped the biff back then. The debt has been sliding round the world financial system. USA May have got it right. Buy up the debt with the intent to slowly sell it back into the system over time. .... MIGHT have got it right.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:47   #21

My joy as a taxpayer would be a lot bigger and the german budget would be in the positive if our government would stop giving "loans" (due in 100 years) to bancrupt countries.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:50   #22

May I remind you that the american company Sachs made a fortune by obscurely lending money to the Greeks.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:51   #23

the german budget is balanced and showing blacker signs. the americans just print money and devalue their currency. vultures like hedge funds, Icahn and Soros, Buffett should be forbidden.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskybeer View Post
May I remind you that the american company Sachs made a fortune by obscurely lending money to the Greeks.
So did the german government. Then they donated the profit to Greece. Stupid germans, eh?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:02   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
it is not the problem of who lend whom money. the greece have been cheating in their accounting long before entering the eurozone and euro currency. do not always try to blame those horrible germans (btw one of the few countries, to which the states do not belong, with a balanced budget! to the joy of the taxpayers)
If you owe a bank €100,000 you have a problem. If you owe the bank €100,000,000,000 ....... The bank has the problem.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:03   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
the german budget is balanced and showing blacker signs. the americans just print money and devalue their currency. vultures like hedge funds, Icahn and Soros, Buffett should be forbidden.
There is lots of reasons to do that... #1 reason is to make the market liquid. The second is to decrease the costs of our exports to foreign buyers... exports such as oil, cars, etc. As long as the value of your currency doesn't drop too much in relation to other currencies...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:22   #27

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I paid for my vacations in Greece long before all this junk, so it is too late to change plans. So, I am leaving to Greece in 2 days, and will spend there 3 months. Looking around local boats market will be one of the things I will definitely be doing
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:23   #28

Boat: Beneteau 50

So there was this village in Europe where Fritz the baker had a wonderful stay at the village hotel last week-end but he owed Pierre the hotelier 100 euros, he went around and paid Pierre with a crisp 100 euro note and said thank you.

Pierre the hotelier then went to Juan the butcher and paid the 100 euros he owed to Juan who in turn nipped over to Stavros the grocer he owed a 100 euros too.

Then Stavros feeling guilty took the 100 euros and paid Fritz the baker his invoice and all was well. Everybody was paid and lived happily ever after.

Peter - If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:30   #29

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

unless the EU - rather Jean Claude Junker - decides that greece's referendum on sunday won't be happening or the result declared floored -- Junker wants a EU superstate - a kinda united states of europe with one president and no sovereign countries blah blah blah.

greece will not self destruct - holidays will go on as per normal cos thats what will happen cos the government wont allow anything to happen to greece that will kill its people love the greek governments stance but greece should never have been allowed into the euro in the first place.

all travel to from etc..... will go ahead as planned, all boating excursions will go ahead as planned and the only thing that is likely to happen is the return of the drachma and sovereign rule for greece

don't worry be happy
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 14:07   #30

Greece Surrenders its Sovereignty to Brussels
Posted on July 1, 2015 by Martin Armstrong
greekeuro

The Syriza government is backing down after the realization that Brussels will declare economic war on Greece by deliberately trying to plunge the country into total ruin, far worse than the sanctions imposed on Russia. This is a sad day for the entire world. It is a terrible example that the Troika is the new equivalent of a Roman Triumvirate – the death of democracy. Europeans will remember this day for it is when national sovereignty died.

We have a copy of a letter sent from Greece to the EU accepting all terms. This is a surrender of sovereignty and no doubt the truth of this turnaround will be hidden from the public at large worldwide – not just the Greek people. All our fears of moving into Economic Totalitarianism are coming true. Democratic principles are dead: long live Totalitarianism. No doubt, this was the toast in Brussels last night (behind the curtain, of course).

Posted in Current Events, Europe's Current Economy, Greece | Tagged Brussels, Economic Totalitarianism, EU, Greece, Syriza, Troika
nelson.groome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece