Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 12:55   #46

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Great Inexpensive Gizmos

hand held gps - $120 for 3000 years of endeavour
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 13:04   #47

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Nice call on these! Just got two of them on amazon for maybe ten bucks. First time I've gotten five gallons of water into the deck fill without spilling a drop. There were a few cups left in the bottom that I needed to tilt-pour, but at that point it's simple to do.
Ditto! My two just arrived yesterday.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 14:23   #48

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Ditto! My two just arrived yesterday.

Mark
Where'd you get yours Mark? Amazon (the link posted earlier) shows them as unavailable. I have an old one that we've used for fuel, but a nice and shiny new one (or two) would really come in handy for water...
Old 31-08-2012, 14:28   #49

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Amazon. Must have been a run on them! There are also others on Amazon for similar price - look for safety siphon.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:49   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

A paint brush gaffa taped to a 6 inch stick - for cleaning up in hard to reach places. and also for "not so hard to reach but still too small / awkward big for a normal brush" places .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 16:26   #51

a curved peice of arbutus wood with a scrub brush head attached to the end, and a peice of PVC pipe attached to extend it. Allows me to scrub the bottom of the boat right down to the keel without a haulout. i'm sure I miss a few spots here and there underneath the boat but if done regularly, the bottom stays very clean
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 16:54   #52

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Watch out that Amazon doesn't send you some sort of cheapo siphon with a bulb in it, like they did to me the first time I ordered. They didn't send me the item in the listing for some reason--had to return them and reordered a few weeks later and got the correct items. There seem to be a lot of knock offs on this item. Here is what they look like, but I am not sure if these are the originals. This company claims they sell the original.
Old 04-09-2012, 16:55   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
a curved peice of arbutus wood with a scrub brush head attached to the end, and a peice of PVC pipe attached to extend it. Allows me to scrub the bottom of the boat right down to the keel without a haulout. i'm sure I miss a few spots here and there underneath the boat but if done regularly, the bottom stays very clean
Oooooh, could you take a pic of that sometime? I bet that would be a very useful gizmo.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:17   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Oooooh, could you take a pic of that sometime? I bet that would be a very useful gizmo.
I can try but it isnt the most exciting peice of hardware aboard so i maynforget next time im aboard. the wood is shaped almost like a question mark, about 5 ft long, and the end was shaved to the same diameter as a broom handle and the brush head was screwed on not unlike the end of a mop. On the other end its tapered so it can be jammed in snug to a 5 ft length of pvc pipe, put them together and viola, you have a 10 ft long stiff brush where the brush is perpendicular to the handle.

Quite the invention by he previous owner. Ive seen other copycats at the yacht club made out of a variety of things, pvc pipe using 90 degree elbow fittings, 2x4s and wood dowelling. None of the copies break down nicely into 2 5 foot long peices for convenient storage in the cockpit locker though.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:21   #55

yes, many of the racers used to use them made out of pvc. large... mayb 2"? the trapped air inside forces the brush up against the hull...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 23:32   #56

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Toilet plunger, 2 bucks max.

When taking the speed transducer out I put the plunger on the outside of the hull around the transducer wheel. Then I come back on board and unscrew the collar, take it out and put in the blank. Instead of gallons of water gushing in, you just get a few drops as the water pressure seals the plunger around the hole.

I took out the handle of the last one and attached a thin rope to tie it to the railing. This way next time I take the boat out I can do the reverse and just pull the plunger back on board without getting wet.
Old 30-04-2013, 00:20   #57

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Velcro straps that wrap and hold many things. Rescue tape (silicone self fusing tape), softpaws for dogs, 1 gallon shop vac, gallons of vinegar, drawer liner (or toolbox liner) rubber mat cut to fit, insulated cups, silicon baking mats, and hot pads, lock n lock storage.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 00:42   #58

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Toilet plunger, 2 bucks max.

When taking the speed transducer out I put the plunger on the outside of the hull around the transducer wheel. Then I come back on board and unscrew the collar, take it out and put in the blank. Instead of gallons of water gushing in, you just get a few drops as the water pressure seals the plunger around the hole.

I took out the handle of the last one and attached a thin rope to tie it to the railing. This way next time I take the boat out I can do the reverse and just pull the plunger back on board without getting wet.
Cheapo suction cup dent pullers work as well and as an added bonus they can be used as movable handholds when scrubbing the waterline of the boat.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 02:37   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

For a great syphon just use two hoses and a rag.

Put a long hose in the jerry can to the water/fuel tank. Now put in a short (6 inch) bit of hose( it does not need to reach the reach the liquid) into the jerry can as well, block the remaining opening with a rag, or just your hand.
Blow (not suck) into the short bit of hose.
The pressure in the jerry can will force the liquid out int the tank. Once the syphon starts it will continue without any further effort.

The only limitation is it needs to closed container, not an open bowl.

The advantage over the juggler siphons is there is it will work even if there is small depth of liquid. There is also nothing to gum up, or buy, any old bit of hose will work.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sesame combination padlocks.

You can open them in the dark by feel so no searching for a flashlight when you get back to the boat late at night. Comes in a solid brass version for the boat.
Brilliant! Did not know they existed...
Thanks!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote