Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24   #196

Re: Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave c View Post
If this goes another couple of weeks what will happen to the Columbus Day Reggatta here in South Florida with Biscayne National Park closed. They should rename it Occupy Our National Park this year!
I expect that the race committee will just set the markers outside of the closed area & run the race as usual. If I didn't have a wedding to go to, I would be part of that event.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59   #197

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Just because times are bad and the political system not exactly working, doesn't mean I cut my losses and run. I'm also one that has never "worked the system", like some do.
Cant agree with you more.. Ran across a guy awhile back that is receiving Social Security from having a freggin Drug Addiction ...
Got a pretty good amount upfront and bought a 36 foot double ender and headed to the south pacific.. with a monthly income from the same government he bitched about..
Now if you can sail a boat, you can damn sure hold down a job,
It might not be the best, but it will keep your sorry ass off the government payroll and at the same time, contribute to the econemy ..
Being I'm one that pays his share in taxes and supports the system, I feel I have the right to bitch a little..
and my main bitch is the government is putting out to much money to the low-lives sucking off the easy pickins ..

This post is not addressed to any one person but is in whole to those that would rather bitch and suck of the government instead of doing something about it..

and chances are, I've violated the "Be Nice rule", so dont expect this post to be up for long.........
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave c View Post
If this goes another couple of weeks what will happen to the Columbus Day Reggatta here in South Florida with Biscayne National Park closed.
The current details on the festivities can be found here:
2013 Columbus Day in Biscayne Bay - Southeast Florida Boating Events - Florida by Water | Florida by Water

& here: http://www.columbusdayregatta.net/

As for the actual races, the biggest change to the sailing instructions that I see is that some events have been moved from CRYC to CGSC & Shake-a-leg. That's just a block or two down the road.http://www.columbusdayregatta.net/do...TICEOFRACE.pdf
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Cant agree with you more.. Ran across a guy awhile back that is receiving Social Security from having a freggin Drug Addiction ...
Got a pretty good amount upfront and bought a 36 foot double ender and headed to the south pacific.. with a monthly income from the same government he bitched about..
Now if you can sail a boat, you can damn sure hold down a job,
It might not be the best, but it will keep your sorry ass off the government payroll and at the same time, contribute to the econemy ..
Being I'm one that pays his share in taxes and supports the system, I feel I have the right to bitch a little..
and my main bitch is the government is putting out to much money to the low-lives sucking off the easy pickins .
Whenever things are tense and people are insecure, they peck at each other, like pigeons in a coop. The poor or troubled are easy targets, and everyone has a story like yours about some guy allegedly sailing the S. Pacific on Social Security, or the welfare queen with the Cadillac etc etc.

(though, in other threads we find that there are some people, including CF members, who are managing to cruise or live-aboard on pocket-change, and we seem ok with that)

Do you care where the money really went? Hint - it's not on social spending, it was on pointless wars, Wall St bailouts, and tax breaks. And roughly 25 cents of every US tax dollar going to the military and dependent industries.

Same thing with the park rangers enforcing the shutdown... why should we pick on them?

Question for all CF'ers - have you called or emailed your member of Congress, Senator, and/or President? Would you attend a rally in your town, or go to DC to urge them to get off the dime and pass the budget and debt ceiling legislation already?

The business world is cringing at the thought of an actual default. The global economic impact of a US default could dwarf that of the 2008 crash.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08   #200

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

People and their employer pay into SS, it is their money. If your story is accurate he is considered disabled, thereby is eligible to receive his money.

There is quite a bias against folks who collect SS, and those who collect it feel that.

I was in ICU when my own insurance, which I purchased and is separate to ss denied my claim that I was unable to work. Again, I was in ICU after brain surgery. It took almost a year to get the insurance to give me my lost wages. I was too sick to fight them, we were just going to give up but my sister, who is a lawyer, got so mad she took over and kicked some insurance company butt Furthermore, the insurance, Lincoln Financial, required me to apply with SS or they would not pay me. To even fill out the forms cause me great shame and felt it was insane that they would try to make me collect ss when I had a separate policy for this exact situation. Why buy insurance if the insurance companies make you apply for SS? I think it is another tactic to delay and if ss denies you, they can walk away, never paying you a cent.

There is a lot more to people's stories than you may realize, and your blanket judgement only feeds the jerks on capital hill who portray everyone as leeches to the system.

Sorry for the thread drift. The silly games politicians play to pit us against each other really chaps my hide.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12   #201
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Getting closer now. If this was a business, surrounded by our borders, you must show a net gain after liabilities. We produce wealth by; farming, mining, manufacturing - in that order. Manufacturing dwarfs the wealth built by everything else. Everything else is overhead. If you are not producing product, you are on the cost side of this 'factory'. That includes teachers, police, truckers, artists, doctors, lawyers and ALL of government at ALL levels. What happened to US starting in the 60s is we stopped making stuff. We had so much acrued wealth that we could buy stuff from cheap manufacturers offshore and simply spend our collective savings. We have mortgaged the figurative 'farm' to the Chinese, (and others). As a nation, our ballance sheet is WORSE than the city of Detroit. DO you see where this is going? Who will be our 'emergency manager'? We cannot continue to 'tax some more' to pay for services for people who do not work, do not pay taxes. Please tell me why it is OK or logical to let prople who live off our largesse, who have no skin in this game, to vote our taxes? And, while we are at it, why should people who own no property vote my property tax?

How did we get this far off-topic?

The issue is not that the Park Service has usurped control and ownership of the public's land. It is that the weenies in charge (whitehouse) permit and encourage them to make life as difficult as possible for everyone. This should be seen as the diversion that it is. It is not the fault of 30 guys in the House, however, those guys and others who insist on fiscal responsibility are being vilified by the King and his mignons who refuse to talk about the elephant herd stampeeding through the room. Simply acquescing to the demand for a rubber stamp is truely kicking our collective cans down the road.

I appolgize. The custodians of our parks should decide whether they work for the people or the King & court. When its over, they will be remembered for what they are doing and we should not forget who was running the circus when its time to vote.
The following was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Tea party, the scary scary people coming to a location near you.

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 12:14   #202
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

raising taxes, decreases tax income. people have less to spend, generate less spending, buy less, and it hurts places and people that rely on that cash.
if you on the other hand lower the tax rate, then the government receives more money. we can all understand this is we can see the big picture.

know what else happens when taxes go up? evasion goes up. so even less money for the bloated government.
It's a balance between the extremes, lowering taxes without recognition of funding social welfare , schools , healthcare is irresponsible , we live in a society that happens also to be an economy , not the other way round

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The following was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Tea party, the scary scary people coming to a location near you.

Dave
It seems that you are easily scarred & choosing to take a political position.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:28   #204
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post

I see that you are easily scarred & choosing to take a political position.
No merely that a simplistic solution put forth is typical of the nonsense spouted by certain sections. The situation especially in a recession is complex and requires government to leverage forward.

Simply blaming offshore manufacturing for the problem or chineese debt is merely the old " they took or jobs" cry

A modern social democracy or perhaps a social constitutional republic to be precise balances the rights and benefits of the " haves " with providing a safety net under the " have nots ". This is so the " haves " can sleep easy at night because otherwise the " have-nots " eventually get pissed and take it off the " haves " ( that's called revolution)

On top of that its a social good to ensure all the nation is fed housed , schooled and has basic healthcare. I see no issue in relieving the " haves" of a portion to ensure that objective. A balance must be struck.

I see no impending lack of wealth in the US to achieve that goal.

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52   #205
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ocean Girl-
"Why buy insurance if the insurance companies make you apply for SS?"
There's probably a clause in your policy (everybody reads their policy immediately upon getting it, right?) that says the insurer will not pay out if there is any other primary payer, which could mean anything including pension, benefit plans, and the SSA. Insurers usually have clauses that limit you to receiving compensation from one source, and not double compensation, so that wouldn't surprise me.
It isn't fair but it is legal. That's why insurers won't let you actually read a policy until after you buy one--because there's always something in the fine print.
Old 07-10-2013, 13:27   #206

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Whenever things are tense and people are insecure, they peck at each other, like pigeons in a coop. The poor or troubled are easy targets, and everyone has a story like yours about some guy allegedly sailing the S. Pacific on Social Security, or the welfare queen with the Cadillac etc etc.

(though, in other threads we find that there are some people, including CF members, who are managing to cruise or live-aboard on pocket-change, and we seem ok with that)

Do you care where the money really went? Hint - it's not on social spending, it was on pointless wars, Wall St bailouts, and tax breaks. And roughly 25 cents of every US tax dollar going to the military and dependent industries.

Same thing with the park rangers enforcing the shutdown... why should we pick on them?

Question for all CF'ers - have you called or emailed your member of Congress, Senator, and/or President? Would you attend a rally in your town, or go to DC to urge them to get off the dime and pass the budget and debt ceiling legislation already?

The business world is cringing at the thought of an actual default. The global economic impact of a US default could dwarf that of the 2008 crash.
I think the point RandyonR3 is making is that we live in a free system. We have the right to exercise our opinions and the right to make changes. Changing government is a monumental task. One that requires most people to get on board. That being said, not much can be done while in another country just bitching about how everything is screwed up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-10-2013, 13:41   #207

What I can't understand is why they exempted the military. I mean these are guys who have sworn to virtually kill themselves if ordered, just order them to serve without pay. You want a high visibility effect of the shutdown how about a few million screaming military families.
Old 07-10-2013, 13:43   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I think the point RandyonR3 is making is that we live in a free system. We have the right to exercise our opinions and the right to make changes. Changing government is a monumental task. One that requires most people to get on board. That being said, not much can be done while in another country just bitching about how everything is screwed up.
What I took from Randy's post is that like most people he's upset and perplexed by the DC brinksmanship, and he lashed out at an easy target. I'm suggesting that people learn enough to find out where the problem really is and, instead of lashing out, direct the energy in a way that might actually change something.

It's about the same effort to email your House representative as it is to bitch in a forum. Which action has a better chance of actually changing something?
Old 07-10-2013, 13:47   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
What I can't understand is why they exempted the military. I mean these are guys who have sworn to virtually kill themselves if ordered, just order them to serve without pay. You want a high visibility effect of the shutdown how about a few million screaming military families.
You're joking, right? Head of State Rule #1 - the guys/gals guarding your backside ALWAYS get paid. Usually first.
Old 07-10-2013, 13:47   #210
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
The military can overthrow the government.
I wish they would.
Closed Thread