Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32   #16

Re: Govt Shutdown Impact on Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

EDIT: the new bums are the ones causing the problems. The old bums that didn't get kicked out want to make some deals and move one.
So much for keeping it apolitical.

You bet I have strong opinion about how this has all gone down but that wouldn't help in disseminating useful information and would in fact curtail the cause. Waterway Guide has posted helpful information.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40   #17

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Govt shutdown impact on boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Say dave, do me a favor and run down to parliament and post a note on the door for us?

"WANTED: NATIONAL GOVERNMENT. APPLICANTS MUST SPEAK ENGLISH, PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE RUNNING ANY NATIONAL GOVERNMENT NOT REQUIRED BUT A PLUS. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT OCCUPANT, 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, WEASHINGTON, DC. APPLICANTS MUST APPLY IN WRITING AND PASS CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK."

Hey, if Congress wants to quit? Goodbye, let's hire a new one and lock 'em out. Refusing to work is misfeasance and malfeasance and those are grounds for termination.
Likely no potential candidates can be properly vetted unless you drop the last four words.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Dah isn't federal land owned by the people for the people? Who the F do these politicians think they are??

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44   #19

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I think the founders would have preferred a govt that's exactly what we have at this hour.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44   #20

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

On a happy note, for those renewing their USCG Masters licenses and TWIC cards, you can still file these. I just arranged my TWIC card renewal (it expired in March) for the middle of this month. The Coast Guard Documentation Center is partially operating. They will accept mailed documentation and renew when the shutdown has ended. Here's their website statement:

National Vessel Documentation Center

GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN

Due to the government shutdown, the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) will be operating under restricted conditions.

All commercial vessel related business will be suspended until the government resumes operations. Recreational fee funding has not been affected; therefore, the limited number of onsite staff will be focused on processing recreational vessel applications.

During the shutdown, the NVDC will:

• Continue to receive and process mail
• Process fax and .pdf submissions in the order received
• Limit walk-in customer service to recreational vessel applicants
• Not monitor phone calls

The NVDC recognizes the impact this government shutdown may have on our maritime industry and customers - particularly the commercial portion of the industry. We will do whatever we can to minimize the impact and to recover from the government shutdown as quickly as possible.

/T. V. Skuby

Timothy V. Skuby
Captain, USCG Retired
Director, NVDC

10/1/2013
Mission Statement

Temporary certificates of documentation info: http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/tempcod.pdf

Renewal certification for Mariners: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcement...Shutdown_2.pdf

A big thank you to those folks in Washington (and elsewhere) who value service over shenanigans.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45   #21

Re: Govt shutdown impact on boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Likely no potential candidates can be properly vetted unless you drop the last four words.
I'm thinking that exhuming the ones we started with is a capital idea. It couldn't be as bad as what's coming out of that swamp now.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
I think the founders would prefer a govt that's exactly what we have at this hour.
Yeah right, keep drinking the kool aid

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Yeah right, keep drinking the kool aid
Wait reread your post you are right the founders would want us to fight for liberty and to get it correct,,,, hope that's what your saying

Old 04-10-2013, 09:05   #24

Boat: Catalina 30
Bearing in mind that before the Revolution we were all Englishmen. It was only after the central government refused to address the grievances of the local assemblies that this went badly. I think it was the educated elites of the time did not care to listen to the back country yokels petitions. Thankfully that is not the case here.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20   #25

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I also posted a story today about the waters around Cape Canaveral: "Cape Canaveral waters off ICW 'off limits' due to shutdown" -- Apparently, law enforcement is keeping all boats, large and small, from straying from the ICW channel adjacent to Cape Canaveral National Seashore, due to the shutdown of the federal government. This affects approx. mile 852 - 888 of the ICW, plus waters in the north part of the Banana River and the rest of Mosquito Lagoon south of the Haulover Canal.

Since both the seashore and wildlife refuge boundaries include thousands of acres of water stretching from Government Cut in Edgewater through the North Indian River, all of Mosquito Lagoon and south into the Banana River in Brevard County, these aquatic areas are also closed -- the only boating allowed is in the Intracoastal Waterway channel, said Wildlife Refuge supervisory law enforcement officer Jane Whaley, according to a Daytona News-Journal article (Waters of Canaveral, Merritt Island included in parks shutdowns | News-JournalOnline.com). Apparently they are approaching boaters and asking them to leave the area. The NASA bridges will remain on their normal schedule, according to the bridge tender.

I don't know how legal it is to bar boaters from federal waters because of a federal shutdown, but there it is!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26   #26

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Garbone, I guess you are referring to Franklin, Jefferson, Paine, and those other uneducated folks that somehow were able to write in manuscript without grievous spelling errors? You know, the ones who were able to trick the Dutch and the French and others into loaning us huge sums of money to make a go of it? It was the yokels who didn't want to fund a navy, or a treasury department, or a standing army, much less construct a capital building, engage in building a national system of canals or stand up to Spain, England, France, Barbary pirates and their ilk. Good grief, can't we have some reality here? No one has ever liked paying taxes (except me, because it means I'm actually able to earn something and pay my share for what got me here).
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36   #27

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
I also posted a story today about the waters around Cape Canaveral: "Cape Canaveral waters off ICW 'off limits' due to shutdown" -- Apparently, law enforcement is keeping all boats, large and small, from straying from the ICW channel adjacent to Cape Canaveral National Seashore, due to the shutdown of the federal government. This affects approx. mile 852 - 888 of the ICW, plus waters in the north part of the Banana River and the rest of Mosquito Lagoon south of the Haulover Canal.

Since both the seashore and wildlife refuge boundaries include thousands of acres of water stretching from Government Cut in Edgewater through the North Indian River, all of Mosquito Lagoon and south into the Banana River in Brevard County, these aquatic areas are also closed -- the only boating allowed is in the Intracoastal Waterway channel, said Wildlife Refuge supervisory law enforcement officer Jane Whaley, according to a Daytona News-Journal article (Waters of Canaveral, Merritt Island included in parks shutdowns | News-JournalOnline.com). Apparently they are approaching boaters and asking them to leave the area. The NASA bridges will remain on their normal schedule, according to the bridge tender.

I don't know how legal it is to bar boaters from federal waters because of a federal shutdown, but there it is!

My investigation and post above about E & DT National Parks were what I expected, boats can enter for safe harbor. I agree with your question about the legality of stopping boaters from entering those waters. It would be interesting to test it, but not worth the effort.

"Sir, my vessel and/or crew are not capable of making safe passage at this time, I am doing everything possible to prepare my vessel for safe passage and will leave this area as soon as the vessel and crew are able."
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
By the way, what word defines the opposite of Progress?
Tea Party.

(sorry, it's sitting there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch
I think the founders would have preferred a govt that's exactly what we have at this hour.
... really? Really really?

This article is satire, attempting to portray how the current US shut-down would be reported if was occurring elsewhere. From outside, it does seem this inexplicable.

On a less inflammatory and hopefully constructive note, another article this week makes reference to a 1994 book whose author (Juan Linz) lays out his case that all presidential democracies have structural deficiencies that almost always lead to political deadlock and breakdown. The glaring exception to this theory has, until now, been the government of the world's mightiest country. But the above-linked article attempts to assert that the US federal government is finally starting to show the same tenancies, as evidenced in the current impasse.

So - is DC just embroiled in a mini-crisis that will pass, or is there a structural problem that needs to be addressed?

When the US sneezes, Canada gets a cold, so I certainly hope the shutdown and budget ceiling issues are resolved soon.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47   #29
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The whole NOAA website is shut down. Went to look up a boat that went by on the CG registry and got a "closed for business" notice lol.

see, this is how i know this is BS.
it does not take personnel to leave a website open. in fact hosting that sign, takes the same resources that running the site would. what they are going for here, is a visible impact.
they want us to think, that the fed, is crucial. its for show.
like when i 3 year old child has a meltdown, throw themselves on the floor and scream, "I WANT IT!!!!"

that is what the fed is doing right now. thats why items that require no resources, national parks, lakes, docks, websites, are down. and items like homeland security, are up.

maximum visual exposure.
i want them shutdown for good. i hope they never reopen, but i like to dream.....

i bet the coast guard is still there....

for the last part of my non-partisan rant:
states have asked if they can fund these items.
Arizona has told the fed they will pay park personal to keep the grand canyon open. its a darn hold in the ground, it does not take much to run.
and many more. keep them closed, fire the workers, move on with life.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
see, this is how i know this is BS.
it does not take personnel to leave a website open. in fact hosting that sign, takes the same resources that running the site would. what they are going for here, is a visible impact.
Federal shutdowns, even of websites, are mainly for liability and financial reasons. The web info is static, sure, but any online financial transaction with a government website cannot legally be completed, any data is now legally unmaintained, just like anyone venturing into an unstaffed park and hurting they little selves would be a huge liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert
i want them shutdown for good. i hope they never reopen, but i like to dream.....
Be careful what you wish for. It might just happen.
Closed Thread