Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 21:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Global movement of sailboats - Cornell.

https://cornellsailing.com/2017/08/j...-the-boats-go/
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 21:21   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Global movement of sailboats - Cornell.

Thank you Dale for the link, although I had read the content before. When I was in Cocos Islands (shortly after you left), I asked the authorities to confirm these numbers of arrivals there.... funny that, the customs/AFP (australian federal police) could not / would not confirm the data, and the local tourist bureau said to be unaware of these figures......
Old 26-03-2018, 00:39   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The numbers for Puerto Williams are seriously flawed.

505 cruising boats in 2010 and 285 in 2015?

It would appear that just raw arrival data has been used.... even if I have just been away to the glaciers for a few weeks I still go in 'the book' when I return.

Now in 2010 the illegal charter trade around the glaciers and down to the Horn was in full swing. In the season one boat would probably do 3 trips a month for 4 months... more or less....
That would be Ush-PW-Glaciers-PW-Ush... so 2 entries per trip = 24 entrys for one boat.

By 2015 the illegal charter trade had been closed down..... 229 fewer 'entries' on the list = about 10 boats that have quit the area... sounds about right.

There are still maybe a dozen boats working the Antarctic trade... 2 trips a month for the season.. maybe 6 trips making 2 calls at PW a round voyage.. that accounts for another 144 port entries and brings us back to about 140 'entries'....

Now each yacht that comes down out of the channels or in from the Atlantic will typically do a stores run... maybe 2 ... to Ushuaia, a trip to the Horn, and maybe another to the glaciers. So say 4.5 entries per yacht..... brings us down to about 30 ... which ties in with my observations over the years.

Compare with Ushuaia where I expect they have just counted each yacht once.... 2010 83 yachts ( 24 charterers ) ..... 2015 64 yachts ( 12 charterers ) ....

Rough figures but I think you get the idea....

If the rest of the figures are as flawed then the list doesn't mean all that much....
Old 26-03-2018, 00:48   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Thanks for the reality check, Ping. I've often wondered where these sort of numbers come from!

Jim
Old 26-03-2018, 02:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

The figures for Cape Town also appear to be seriously out of tune with reality. 358 yachts passing through is a joke! They have most probably included all the new charter yachts out of the factories off to the various charter fleets. I would estimate at least half the number of cruising yachts to the figure shown, if not less. Just where Cornell gets these figures is a quandary.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 04:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thanks for the reality check, Ping. I've often wondered where these sort of numbers come from!

Jim
The same place he gets his information for his seven alarmist references to "climate change" in the article?

A typical claim:
"This is the first area in the world to suffer the consequences of climate change on a large scale, with weather conditions being noticeably affected by the warming of the oceans. The worst affected were the Philippines, with a tropical cyclone striking the country in every month of the year. A defined safe sailing season can no longer be counted on. A similar trend now appears to affect all of Micronesia, which was visited by 27 tropical cyclones in 2015."

Short term memory? He's never heard of 1964 for example?

And according to IBTrACS, there were nowhere near 27 tropical cyclones over Micronesia in 2015.

Or if you want to believe Wikipdia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_P...typhoon_season
The 1964 Pacific typhoon season was the most active tropical cyclone season recorded globally,
"52 numbered tropical waves formed this year in the Western Pacific, of which 39 became tropical storms. 26 storms reached typhoon intensity, of which 7 reached super typhoon strength. "

compared to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_P...typhoon_season
The 2015 Pacific typhoon season was a slightly above average season that produced 27 tropical storms, 18 typhoons, and nine super typhoons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FSMTyphoons.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	167123  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, sail, sailboat