Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Giving it a go...

My wife and I bought our boat back in September of 2012 and have been toiling away ever since. As with any boat, the project list is unending, but as of this past weekend I finally feel like we have overcome neglect of someone who clearly held a different opinion of "nice" than I do. She looks like a completely different boat, and IMHO is the prettiest in the marina. Now we just have to keep her that way!

To celebrate, we are going to spend our first few nights aboard. We'll shove off the morning of the 4th and not return to the slip until the evening of the 7th. Obviously to the seasoned cruisers and liveaboards such a thing isn't even worth mentioning, but to us this is yet another step toward the ultimate goal.

In our time together we've done a great deal of camping and have traveled coast to coast in the car, so we are quite used to tight quarters and non-luxurious living. I am sure, however, that staying on the boat will present new challenges and learning opportunities and I simply cannot put into words how excited I am.

I haven't felt this antsy or looked forward to a trip this much in a very long time. The weather looks like it will be beyond perfect and as long as we survive the drunken powerboaters zipping around after the fireworks it will be great (fingers crossed).

My apologies for a post that doesn't have much merit, but I had to share my excitement somewhere and thought this was a place in which some might relate.
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Giving it a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
My wife and I bought our boat back in September of 2012 and have been toiling away ever since. As with any boat, the project list is unending, but as of this past weekend I finally feel like we have overcome neglect of someone who clearly held a different opinion of "nice" than I do. She looks like a completely different boat, and IMHO is the prettiest in the marina. Now we just have to keep her that way!

To celebrate, we are going to spend our first few nights aboard. We'll shove off the morning of the 4th and not return to the slip until the evening of the 7th. Obviously to the seasoned cruisers and liveaboards such a thing isn't even worth mentioning, but to us this is yet another step toward the ultimate goal.

In our time together we've done a great deal of camping and have traveled coast to coast in the car, so we are quite used to tight quarters and non-luxurious living. I am sure, however, that staying on the boat will present new challenges and learning opportunities and I simply cannot put into words how excited I am.

I haven't felt this antsy or looked forward to a trip this much in a very long time. The weather looks like it will be beyond perfect and as long as we survive the drunken powerboaters zipping around after the fireworks it will be great (fingers crossed).

My apologies for a post that doesn't have much merit, but I had to share my excitement somewhere and thought this was a place in which some might relate.
I don't know of anyone who started out with a non-stop round the world cruise and sometimes the biggest challenge is just getting out of the slip. You are taking the next logical step toward your goal. Congrats!

Assuming you are anchoring out... don't expect to get much sleep, you'll check the anchor many times making sure it isn't dragging. Most likely it won't but you might think it is. Try to relax and enjoy the time on the boat.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I can certainly relate to the sense of excitement .
I still remember the blazing sunset and our first night at anchor in our very first boat a few decades ago. Just MAGIC!!!

Have a wonderful trip

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I don't know of anyone who started out with a non-stop round the world cruise and sometimes the biggest challenge is just getting out of the slip. You are taking the next logical step toward your goal. Congrats!

Assuming you are anchoring out... don't expect to get much sleep, you'll check the anchor many times making sure it isn't dragging. Most likely it won't but you might think it is. Try to relax and enjoy the time on the boat.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Oh that's soooo true about anchoring out the first night.

One thing I would recommend is to set your gps at your anchoring point. That way you can check with confidence whether you're dragging or not in the dark.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473
I remember that excitement too! Thanks for sharing and have a really great trip!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I remember that excitement too! Thanks for sharing and have a really great trip!
+1

Giving it a go is pretty much what boats is about.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41   #7

Boat: too many

You may think your post is low interest, but it is quite the opposite. I for one will check back on this thread after you return to your home port. I have a hunch all will go well and you'll be itching for your next longer outing.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02   #8

Congratulations! And I feel the need to see picture of your boat.
CannyBallast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07   #9

Have fun!... and back down good on the anchor!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42   #10

Thanks to all for the encouraging words! I'l try to snap some decent pictures of the boat while we are out. One thing I keep kicking myself for is not taking very many "before" shots.

I am a bit nervous about sleeping while anchored, but the past few weekends we've spent more time on the hook than we have under sail. We've scoped out good and different anchorages for varying wind conditions. The lake bottom is thick mud and she held well in winds that were quite a bit stronger than we are forecasted to face while we are out. I'll definitely set the GPS and am sure I will pop my head out of the hatch like a prairie dog every hour or so!

I do have a question, although I am sure it will be impossible to answer as it probably varies greatly. How much of a drain on my battery bank can I expect burning the anchor light overnight to be?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Good luck,

Get "Drag Queen" app if you have an Iphone. On the hook you can leave the phone on the charger near the bunk. Just glance at the display of position and bearing every few hours. It is easy to tell if your swinging with the wind or dragging.

On the anchor light here is what you do, turn everything but the light in question off, disconnect the positive lead to the battery and then jumper the lead to the battery using a cheapo multimetter set to amps. It will show you an amperage which you can then use to do the math on AmpHours.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14   #12

Boat: too many

Or switch to a LED anchor light.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Congratulations....Do not say your post has no merit; it is nice to hear from somebody the exitacion of been abord your boat for the first three, four days. We all share that feeling.
Again, congratulations...enjoy more and more from now.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:19   #14

Boat: 1986 Endeavour 42
For those of us still working on our boats we admire you. Have a great trip and have fun
SV Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 13:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Or switch to a LED anchor light.
That's definitely on the list!