Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 11:39   #1

Boat: in the works
FREE, or close to free!

I know there is already a thread devoted to boats for sale in the 30K and under category, but I havent seen a thread devoted to free or close to free boats. I know many people are afraid of a free boat, and sometimes rightfully so! BUT.. if your on a SUPER TIGHT budget like me, sometimes free or close to free is just what you need! Lets also remember that some of these boats a true sailing classics, and it's better to see them given away than rotting in someones yard, or the back of the marina. I hope the admins will let me keep this thread going!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	2790
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	164848  
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 11:42   #2

Re: FREE, or close to free!

I'll start off with a FREE ALBIN SINGOALLA!!!! They dont show the cabin interior, and there is only one pic of the boat, but hey... a FREE Albin is a FREE Albin! Located in CT.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/...509817377.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	albin.jpg
Views:	2456
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	164849  
Old 25-02-2018, 12:09   #3

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

wow, I am really excited to follow this one.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A better title would be:

"Free Boats That Will Be Very Expensive to Make Seaworthy."

I appreciate that everyone wants a bargain, and some want to spend as little as possible on purchasing a boat.

Experienced owners who have built boats from brand new hull kits will tell you that the hull is only a small part of the total cost of a seaworthy boat.

I look at thousands of boats, and ignore all of the derelict, hulks (hull only), unfinished home builds, salvaged, badly damaged, badly neglected, and occasionally rotten (wood), boats I see, because I have the sense to know they are likely to be very expensive and very time consuming to repair or refit them to a seaworthy standard, at least to my standard of safety and reliability. That is why I do not post notices to them in the "Boats Less Than $30k" thread.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

When there are so many nicely maintained and equipped boats out there at reasonable prices, I don't think it makes sense to throw thousands of dollars into fixing up a typical derelict or "Free or almost free" boat that would be worth very little after spending much money on it..

Sailing dinghy and day sailors aside, there are many good condition cruising boats on the market, with rigs, sails, interiors, working engines, that can be purchased at a relatively low cost. Many can be found with asking prices far below $30k, and a few I recently shared appear to be real bargains at prices of as little as $15k for a 35 foot cruising boat that appears to be in sound cruising condition.

Here is a recent example of a cruising boat that has many recent upgrades or updated gear, and is asking Price just $17k.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2584756

Look at the gear list on that ad. Notice the new sails, new Awlgrip paint, etc. Considering what the previous owner spent on the recent upgrades or Refit of that boat, and one could say the boat was "Free or almost free" in a sense that the cost of the Refit (and replaced engine a few years before) probably came close to the now asking Price of the boat.

Of course we all have differences in risk tolerance, funds available, and many other variables. So there will always be someone whose opinion is diffferent.

Good luck on your boat hunt.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:21   #5

Next is a Hunter 25, located in NJ. Ad says "best offer", but it's been up for a while so I'm guessing right now $1 would be the best offer. No pictures of the cabin or cockpit, but at least it's shrink wrapped (mostly). I think this may be an abandoned yard boat. Obviously, as with ANY boat, take a good look at it and know your skill limits.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/b...503958075.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00k0k_gmnf4zGB9TT_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1730
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	164862  
Old 25-02-2018, 12:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
A better title would be:

"Free Boats That Will Be Very Expensive to Make Seaworthy."

I appreciate that everyone wants a bargain, and some want to spend as little as possible on purchasing a boat.

I look at thousands of boats, and ignore all of the derelict, salvaged, badly damaged, badly neglected, and occasionally rotten (wood), boats I see, because I have the sense to know they are likely to be very expensive and very time consuming to repair or refit them to a seaworthy standard, at least to my standard of safety and reliability. That is why I do not post notices to them in the "Boats Less Than $30k" thread.

When there are so many nicely maintained and equipped boats out there at reasonable prices, I don't think it makes since to throw thousands of dollars into fixing up a derelict or "Free or almost free" boat.

Sailing dinghy and day sailors aside, there are many good condition cruising boats on the market, with rigs, sails, interiors, working engines, that can be purchased at a relatively low cost. Many can be found with asking prices far below $30k, and a few I recently shared appear to be real bargains at prices of as little as $15k for a 35 foot cruising boat that appears to be in sound cruising condition.

Of course we all have differences in risk tolerance, funds available, and many other variables. So there will always be someone whose opinion is diffferent.

Good luck on your boat hunt.
K. Thanks for the input.
Old 25-02-2018, 12:30   #7

1969 Seafarer 31. I'm hesitant to share this one because I think I want it for myself! But hey, if you get it first, cheers! I've seen this on another website listed for $2500, and they are even offering use of their mooring on Cape cod with it. It is a sloop, and I think has the well cut out for an outboard.
https://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/d...475812727.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seafarer.jpg
Views:	1672
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	164865   Click image for larger version

Name:	00n0n_4RdRLZplG0H_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	164866  

Old 25-02-2018, 13:23   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
I know many people are afraid of a free boat, and sometimes rightfully so! BUT.. if your on a SUPER TIGHT budget like me, sometimes free or close to free is just what you need! Lets also remember that some of these boats a true sailing classics, and it's better to see them given away than rotting in someones yard,
Thinking Spray was a free boat left to rot in a friend's farm then given to
down on his luck Capt. Slocum who resurrected her for his little cruise.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 13:34   #9

Great idea jefjo, will be interesting to see what pops up

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:25   #10

I'm a little bored today due to the weather, so heres another one; '78 Ranger 30. She looks decent from the pictures, but who knows when they were taken. With a $2000 OBO price it could be a great deal!
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bo...506046706.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00d0d_keNnNFlLHkE_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	164877  
Old 25-02-2018, 14:38   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FREE, or close to free!

Great idea..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:52   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I think you can find a lot of diamonds in the rough, and if you are not obsessed with perfection, you can make quite a few of the classics sea worthy without breaking the bank... I am. And then there is the enjoyment that comes from working on your own boat and making it come back to life, which is hard to quantify... but sometimes just having a boat to work on, even if it never goes out, can be a stress reliever of inestimable value. That Albin looks like one of those diamonds as does that Seafarer! Now we need a thread about vacant lots near harbors where us crazy folks can work on our classics together!
Keep up the good work!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:08   #13

Boat: Catalina 28 MK I

One thing to keep in mind with "free", "almost free" or any other boat is you are responsible for disposal of the hulk if things don't work out as planned.
The options for disappearing an old fiberglass hull are getting more expensive and rare. Cutting up a fiberglass hull, renting a dumpster, paying additional tipping fees because it isn't household or construction debris can cost a thousand dollars or more quick.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:38   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As those who check these threads may know, I mentioned a Spencer 35 that was essentially being given away recently... to many it was just an old boat, but to a few of us it was sad to see such a capable boat sold for scrap.

I saw a '69 Camaro pass me yesterday... beautiful, absolutely looking better than new. Now why would anyone spend all that money on an old car when even the cheapest new car would be safer and more economical to drive?

So it is KINDA like that..
I also saw a '65 Dart convertible in ok shape... if it had the slant-6 with a the push-button transmission.... oh, that would be tempting...

crazy, right? But if you own a boat, you are already at least a little crazy. Unless our boat is our permanent home, we can all fly somewhere and charter a boat and save a lot of money. And yet, here we are, conversing on this forum.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
One thing to keep in mind with "free", "almost free" or any other boat is you are responsible for disposal of the hulk if things don't work out as planned.
The options for disappearing an old fiberglass hull are getting more expensive and rare. Cutting up a fiberglass hull, renting a dumpster, paying additional tipping fees because it isn't household or construction debris can cost a thousand dollars or more quick.
Very true. I don't recommend anyone going beyond what they're capable of doing in terms of repair or refit, or getting into a boat that'll drain their budget and never splash. Sometimes free is free for a reason! I'm hoping everyone who sees one of these diamonds in the rough.. or a boat that should be rescued, will share it here!