Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 14:57   #61

Re: Frankenstorm!

Live Webcam of Virginia Beach Boardwalk and King Neptune

Webcam
Old 28-10-2012, 15:11   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Server not found?
Old 28-10-2012, 15:17   #63

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
And when it's all over there will be tons of logs and all manner of stuff floated out to sea from rivers... Be careful when navigating AFTER a major blow and surge event.

Last year after Irene I saw large piece of debris while out sailing, logs, branches, construction wood and some fishing bouys.....this was in the southern ches bay about 3 days after the storm IIRC
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Old 28-10-2012, 15:21   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

For us in Hampton Roads VA we won't get the worst until late Monday night / Tuesday Morning when It hits NJ and it really could be bad for a whole lot of people. It's actually closer to us then. It will be not much fun in the middle of the night.

PA and NY may get the worst of it in terms of land based serious damage and overall pain. PA gets a full day of it across the middle of the state after it leaves Philly. Then central NY gets almost two days as it goes north then east up the St Lawrence. Should there be snow it could be epic. Tidal surges in CT are to be 9 to 12 ft and they are not equipped for that. Albany, NY could see 3 ft of surge! Manhattan flood walls are 5 ft above MLW and they could see water over the top. This is an odd case where the worst is on the northern end instead of the southern end of the storm track.

The hype on this storm has been off the scale but it may come to pass that it was true. Best to take care and do the best you can.
Old 28-10-2012, 15:34   #65

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Posted a few videos to my blog of the marina. We are very well protected from N-NE-NW. Boats were still moving about quite a bit

Adventures of Salacia: Hurricane Sandy Day 2

New GoPro still figuring it out so cut me slack....
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Old 28-10-2012, 16:03   #66

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Current forecast for the surge in the bay is 4'.

Attachment 48915

But in NY its going to be major - 12'.

Attachment 48916
Thanks

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 28-10-2012, 16:05   #67
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wonder how long this will affect the northeast afterwords....
be safe--watch out for debris speeding down rivers at you--hudson will be bad--lots of woods to flow downstream from there, after it falls from wind or flood---
Old 28-10-2012, 17:21   #68

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

The media just loves this drama, reporters in windbreakers trying to stand in the rain, "enhanced" satellite shots (adding lots of bright red swirlies to the images). Better evacuate the Space Needle in Seattle just in case.
Old 28-10-2012, 18:54   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
wonder how long this will affect the northeast afterwords....
be safe--watch out for debris speeding down rivers at you--hudson will be bad--lots of woods to flow downstream from there, after it falls from wind or flood---
I took a little cruise to New York last year a week or two after Irene. Still lots of stuff in the water. Got some photos of the kind of stuff you can run into here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRIC SAILBOAT CRUISE TO NEW YORK 2011
Old 28-10-2012, 19:25   #70

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
The media just loves this drama, reporters in windbreakers trying to stand in the rain, "enhanced" satellite shots (adding lots of bright red swirlies to the images). Better evacuate the Space Needle in Seattle just in case.
You could just turn the TV off ... just saying.
Old 28-10-2012, 19:36   #71

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Flying through airports tonight, can't get away from it, blaring everywhere - but luckily SAT to DFW to OMA to FSD for me.
Old 28-10-2012, 20:26   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Kind of agree with you about the media circus that occurs when the weather is the story. But, when my wool watch cap almost got blown off a couple of times today on Long Island that speaks to me. And tomorrow is supposed to be worse! I'm just hoping my boat will be floating somewhere in the harbor and not on the shore
Old 28-10-2012, 21:08   #73

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I thought that haveing been at anchor during Typhoons in the Pacific years ago, That I knew what to do for a little ole Southern Hurrycane !! LOL Was I ever wrong !! we Never had storm surge of the type they have down here in the gulf!! and I sure have learned about how to do It from my nabors down the Bayou !! Thats why we have 20 ft of pilelings Above our sea wall !! During Katrina we were lucky as we were on the Good Side of the eye !! Only had 90 mile winds from the North and the water stayed down!! But don,t leave the boat unattended!! somebody needs to tend to the lines and the Kedges that should be used !! I always stay with the boat! thru 1s, 2s and 3s so far and would have lost our 42 ft Colvin if I had left her alone ! Maybe Im crazy but our boats are Connies and my Homes !! just my 2 cents and remember kedge anchors can save ya butt !!
Old 28-10-2012, 21:09   #74

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
It he federal gives and the state of Maryland are closed the next two days. I am on Haleakula now and planning on staying for a few days adjusting lines. Have 8 12 ftoss with doubles on each. Plenty of water and food. I may be the only one left with electricity in MD and taking a hot shower on Tuesday. Winds expected to clock from NE to SW over 48 hours at sustained minimums of 35-40 with guts as high s 75 at the peak times. Sandy coming ashore in NJ will give us a brek on the storm surge prolonged after it moves pas the mouth of the Chessie. This event will give us super blowout tides. After it moves on they will open Conowingo Dam which will trash the Bay with huge logs, and floating propane bottles and toilets for weeks like after Isabel. Since we are on the left side of the storm and willl be spared the major urge, we I'll get 8-12 inches of rain instead.

Good luck to other Chesapeake sailors tending to heir boats
Old 28-10-2012, 21:10   #75

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
[QUOTE="chef2sail"]It he federal gives and the state of Maryland are closed the next two days. I am on Haleakula now and planning on staying for a few days adjusting lines. Have 8 12 ftoss with doubles on each. Plenty of water and food. I may be the only one left with electricity in MD and taking a hot shower on Tuesday. Winds expected to clock from NE to SW over 48 hours at sustained minimums of 35-40 with guts as high s 75 at the peak times. Sandy coming ashore in NJ will give us a brek on the storm surge prolonged after it moves pas the mouth of the Chessie. This event will give us super blowout tides. After it moves on they will open Conowingo Dam which will trash the Bay with huge logs, and floating propane bottles and toilets for weeks like after Isabel. Since we are on the left side of the storm and willl be spared the major urge, we I'll get 8-12 inches of rain instead.

Good luck to other Chesapeake sailors tending to their boats. Stay safe

Dave
Closed Thread