Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 20:30   #541

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I certainly hope I won't get in trouble for posting this paragraph from their blog.
It is a concern which was immediately answered by Eric.
Some of the SA posters "get it" but a lot do not.
Here's a clip from Charlotte's post.
I'm sure you will see that Eric was quick to help make amends for her discomfort.

"I was not happy. I felt sick. I felt like an automaton, existing only for the survival of my children, and yes, OF COURSE, I’m here for the survival of my children, but my god, I just needed-to-change-my-pad, wash-my-hands, eat-some-chocolate, and BREATHE for one goddamn second without having to worry about the kids. And so.
And so, we got Cora watching a movie, and Eric entertaining Lyra, and I crawled into the quarter berth, clutched my abdomen, and tried to sleep. I had stress dreams about my face breaking out in boils, and the girls’ faces too, and then there was no way to fix it, and I woke up and stumbled out of the berth and asked Eric point blank,
“How long would it take you to sail around the world yourself?” “I don’t know. Figure a month from here, a month from there, if I went non-stop, maybe six months? Eight months? Who knows? Why?” “I’m just wondering if you could sail around the world, and I could take the girls and fly to my sister’s and wait it out there. Realistically, how long?” And Eric gently set Lyra down, placing her against a port-side bulkhead so she wouldn’t go flying, and responded, “You know, I can change the sail configuration a bit.” “What? I had no idea.” I’m such a noob to sailing long distances. “Yeah…just give me a sec.” And I crumpled to floor next to Lyra and tried to convince my stomach that I wasn’t nauseous. A few minutes later, Eric popped into view from the companionway. “Is that better?” And believe it or not, it was. I nodded, disbelieving. “Hold on, one more adjustment.”
Within a minute or two things were so much more bearable. I’m sure Eric can/will write a post explaining what he did to change things around. I know in layperson’s terms he had basically been trying to get us as due west as possible to avoid the coastal eddy effect that had been dragging us southward and he had us on a beat, which is always a pain in the neck to experience. Sailing “on a beat” means sailing into the wind, and there is an expression that explains that “gentlemen don’t sail to windward” and crikey, I can see why. Awful stuff." [clipped]

Search Form - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Paypal worked for me.

Ayn Rand
Old 06-04-2014, 20:51   #542
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Terrible news. Although I don't know the Eric or his family, my experience with him on CF for as long as I can remember was always positive. He just seemed like a great guy. I remember reading a few of the family's blog posts years ago and was impressed by the way they lived their lives. It is such a shame when bad things happen to good people.

I definitely would be willing to contribute to whatever fund is decided upon.
Old 06-04-2014, 21:02   #543

Boat: too many

In response to some looking for the silver lining and suggesting things like a movie deal or book, well I always try and see a positive when the crap hits the fan also. First off both Charlotte and Eric have documented their journey quite well both in the written word and pictures. 2nd, their kids have the cute factor in spades. 3rd, many dreamers out there that have wanted to do the same thing, and finally they have received world wide exposure because of 1 and 2. News organizations of major media outlets have been merged into the for profit entertaining programming and as such have gotten a bit lazy. The good quality pictures posted on their blog and that cuteness factor of the girls was easy picking for these news outlets. There is a chance to turn this around into a positive, I just don't know the nuts and bolts of how to do this. Maybe a media consultant or other professional could present them with options?
Old 06-04-2014, 21:05   #544
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Really?! REALLY?! A Hans Christian 36 in near perfect sailing weather, scuttled?! Is that what it has come to?

Who ever said that sailing a boat did not include a responsibility towards the boat? What is all that talk about good to leave it behind? It's a drama, that is what it is! Every sailor looses a bit of their soul when a boat goes down, respect the boat, don't ridicule it! Stay ashore if you feel no love for the boat, no respect for the sea. GD landlubbers.

I hope to hear the facts before they start burning sailors at the stake. If you didn't watch the movie "World War Z" yet, you better do that quick because it looks like it's in progress already.
Old 06-04-2014, 21:45   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
In response to some looking for the silver lining and suggesting things like a movie deal or book, well I always try and see a positive when the crap hits the fan also. First off both Charlotte and Eric have documented their journey quite well both in the written word and pictures. 2nd, their kids have the cute factor in spades. 3rd, many dreamers out there that have wanted to do the same thing, and finally they have received world wide exposure because of 1 and 2. News organizations of major media outlets have been merged into the for profit entertaining programming and as such have gotten a bit lazy. The good quality pictures posted on their blog and that cuteness factor of the girls was easy picking for these news outlets. There is a chance to turn this around into a positive, I just don't know the nuts and bolts of how to do this. Maybe a media consultant or other professional could present them with options?
Lets just hope that Tom Hanks does not play Eric
Old 06-04-2014, 21:46   #546

Eric and Charlotte, we are so happy the kiddo is alright. So sorry to hear about your home. Our thoughts are with you.
Old 06-04-2014, 21:47   #547

Boat: Valiant 42

Nick,

The Navy made the call to scuttle. Eric did not have a vote if it was between staying aboard or being with his wife and children. There is no disrespect of the boat in this and this isn't about stupid land lubbers. It's just a bad situation and that's all it is. No need to make it out to be more than that.
Old 06-04-2014, 21:54   #548

Don't know the final details so pure speculation which is not my usual form of processing but if the boat was sea worthy and I don't consider a leaking packing gland an issue then like Nick I would not have allowed our boat to be scuttled,
Old 06-04-2014, 21:56   #549

The only way to prevent scuttling would have been to refuse the rescue. Not an option in this case.
Old 06-04-2014, 21:58   #550

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The only way to prevent scuttling would have been to refuse the rescue. Not an option in this case.
Are you saying they would not have taken off just Charlotte and the kids and left Eric to sail the boat? I find that hard to believe.
Old 06-04-2014, 21:59   #551

I'd let my wife and kids off and refuse my rescue
Old 06-04-2014, 22:00   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'd let my wife and kids off and refuse my rescue
Exactly, assuming a seaworthy boat.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:03   #553

But Eric did not do that and we here are in no position to second guess that decision.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:06   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
But Eric did not do that and we here are in no position to second guess that decision.
It was his choice yes, but he did have a CHOICE correct? Stay with the boat and not have it sunk or leave with the family. The Navy did not force him to leave, correct?
Old 06-04-2014, 22:15   #555
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Ahhh yes....we knew it was coming....it always does doesn't it.

Now comes the part when the second guessers, smarter, braver, and better seaman than Eric step in to say what should have been done, what they would have done from the saftey of their internet connection.

Sad...but then we have seen a lot of sad things posted on the internet in the last 36hrs.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico