Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 12:58   #1126
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think a lot of us are. Why say any thing till you can say something useful.
Why say anything?
Well, this is a forum, it's the internet, it's freedom of speech, it's peoples right to have an opinion. It's not North Korea.
Do you really expect people to say nothing until, what, the "Official Coast Guard Report" is released to the general public?
With all due respect, your comment is as daft as some of the ones you purport have not said anything useful.
But, I respect your right to post that opinion, just as I have a right to say how daft it is.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:02   #1127

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would hardly call it a move,probably more to do with something more basic...,some thing eric is not lacking in in my opinion.

INTEGRITY

Integrity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm with you Atoll.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:09   #1128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
I'm with you Atoll.
for those that did not understand

here it is...........

Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes.

Barbara Killinger offers a traditional definition:

Integrity is a personal choice, an uncompromising and predictably consistent commitment to honour moral, ethical, spiritual and artistic values and principles.[1]
In ethics, integrity is regarded[by whom?] as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Integrity can stand in opposition to hypocrisy,[2] in that judging with the standards of integrity involves regarding internal consistency as a virtue, and suggests that parties holding within themselves apparently conflicting values should account for the discrepancy or alter their beliefs.

The word "integrity" stems from the Latin adjective integer (whole, complete).[3] In this context, integrity is the inner sense of "wholeness" deriving from qualities such as honesty and consistency of character. As such, one may judge that others "have integrity" to the extent that they act according to the values, beliefs and principles they claim to hold.

A value system's abstraction depth and range of applicable interaction may also function as significant factors in identifying integrity due to their congruence or lack of congruence with observation. A value system may evolve over time[4] while retaining integrity if those who espouse the values account for and resolve inconsistencies.[5]
Old 10-04-2014, 13:27   #1129
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I have an simpler definition:

Integrity = beer.

Old 10-04-2014, 13:27   #1130

Quote:
for those that did not understand

here it is...........

Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes.
I don't think integrity is the correct word for that. I'm sure Eric does have integrity, but requesting donations be sent to another charity is not a sign of integrity. If he had been donating to that charity for the last few years and asked that donations be made to it, then integrity might be the motive.

It looks like either gratitude to his rescuers, whom he probably asked if there was any way he could repay them and they gave him that charity as an option, and/or selflessness, which is also a very admirable trait. Maybe a combination of both.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:43   #1131

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
This answers a lot of what people have asked in this thread. They basically say:

- There was no steering problem
- That boat had a very slow leak, but was in no way sinking (bailed for 3 minutes, twice a day)
- Long range coms were down, but other systems seemed fine
- When baby was sick, called for help. Baby was only focus.
- If baby was not sick could have sailed back home.
- Rescue crew has nothing but good things to say about RH crew preparation, attitude, and decision to call for help.
- Calling when they did was very smart and probably saved baby's life. If they had waited two more days it would have been bad.
Thanks for the summary for those of us pretending to work. Can't really watch a video!

Seems much like many of us assumed. Nothing wrong with the boat.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:44   #1132
cruiser

Has anyone shared this great pic yet?

If any numb nut critics still have gas coming out of their mouth after seeing this wonderful pic then DOOM on YOU!
Old 10-04-2014, 13:48   #1133

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Are those the 4 PJs? They are badass beyond words!

When I told my 13-year-old daughter about the "parachuting medics" who parachuted into the ocean and saved the baby's life, she said, ""I want to do that!"

That's some awesome role models.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:51   #1134
cruiser

Yes 4 jays they are called !
Old 10-04-2014, 13:56   #1135

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
First, I am very very happy this family is safe.

In my opinion we sail for our happiness and fun, I personaly sail without Sat-Phone, SSB or other means to contact the outside world when I am in problems. This is a choice, I don't want other people to risk their lives to save me. I take these risks as a yachtie.

In my opinion these rescue teams are there to save the lives of the ones that are on the sea for us. Fisherman etc.

Just my opinion about this incident
I know quite a few fishermen and none are doing it for you or me or us. They might enjoy their job more than any other and also love being on the water, but bottom line is that they are doing it to make a living for themselves and their families.

I think I understand and even sort of agree with what you say. There's a long and proud tradition of sailors accepting that they have to be self sufficient and accepting that risk and responsibility. But I think that Eric and even Charlotte "thought" they had adequately prepared and if things had been just a little different, they probably would have been just fine and we'd all be envious as can be of them. I've seen no indication that they set out with, even if the back of their minds, the mentailty of "we'll give this Pacific crossing thing a whirl and if we don't like it or it gets a little scary we'll just push the panic button." If they had, I'd be down on them too but I honestly don't think that's the case. How can anyone possibly fault them for being afraid for their baby and asking for help on her behalf? What responsible parent wouldn't? Hopefully they will live and learn and be even more prepared next time if they choose to try it again.

Based on what we think happened, with our 20/20 hindsight, I'm sure that many of us could easily make a long list of things they did wrong, but since none of us really know exactly what went wrong, from the babies symptoms to the equipment issues to the thought processes they used, that would be a pretty risky business to get into at this point. Eric has indicated and I believe that in due time, he'll review all that happened with us and discuss what went wrong and why from his perspective. And once we all have the facts we can all join in the fun if we want to, but right now, we really don't know. It's just nice to have them safe and their baby healthy.
Old 10-04-2014, 14:01   #1136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I don't think integrity is the correct word for that. I'm sure Eric does have integrity, but requesting donations be sent to another charity is not a sign of integrity. If he had been donating to that charity for the last few years and asked that donations be made to it, then integrity might be the motive.

It looks like either gratitude to his rescuers, whom he probably asked if there was any way he could repay them and they gave him that charity as an option, and/or selflessness, which is also a very admirable trait. Maybe a combination of both.
i was not reffering to that specific request,more to his character over his last 5 or so years on cruisers forum,and 3000 or so posts,many of which we have debated together over the years,this is just a further sign of his integrity,of which i was never in doubt.
Old 10-04-2014, 14:06   #1137

Quote:
i was not reffering to that specific request,more to his character over his last 5 or so years on cruisers forum,and 3000 or so posts,many of which we have debated together over the years,this is just a further sign of his integrity,of which i was never in doubt.
Understood. That cleared it up.
Old 10-04-2014, 14:10   #1138

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Eric is one of the few people on CF that I have respect for.
Old 10-04-2014, 15:00   #1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW399 View Post
Why say anything?
Well, this is a forum, it's the internet, it's freedom of speech, it's peoples right to have an opinion. It's not North Korea.
Do you really expect people to say nothing until, what, the "Official Coast Guard Report" is released to the general public?
With all due respect, your comment is as daft as some of the ones you purport have not said anything useful.
But, I respect your right to post that opinion, just as I have a right to say how daft it is.
Oh, don't be a dilloway!
Old 10-04-2014, 15:05   #1140

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
To me, letting a child sit in front of todays TV or subject them to violent video games is negligent, not sailing to new destinations.
rAmen to that. May the Beneficent FSM reach out and touch your mast top with His Noodly Appendage.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico