Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00   #781

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Satdiver, take a look at the NYT article posted about 5 pages back. In it, a female journalist takes a look at contemporary parenting and says why she's glad there are folks like the Kaufmans out there "doing it."

Above, I saw posted a pic of the Kaufmans in happier times, with the banner "I support the Kaufmans"....Because... That could be a start to what you write. Then just list why you support them. The truth of your writing, and your "spirit" will come through.

When you write, please try to remember that going away from your parent society and taking on an itinerant lifestyle is in a sense an anti-social act: one is saying "my society is such that I want to leave it." Most people have a hard time handling that, and few beginning cruisers have ever articulated it to me. But if you incorporate, somehow, your understanding that it is hard for people who have not made that choice to "get" that it is a responsible one, you shall have performed a real service. Just have to remember that this is the big generation of over-protecting children (see the link to the Atlantic Monthly article about 5 or 6 pp. back) I doubt you can convince people who will be too threatened in their core being, but I really like it that you are ready to try. Good on ya.

Ann
Old 08-04-2014, 02:47   #782
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV MAKAI View Post
Greenhand, some people are threatening to call child welfare services on her. FYI, CWS in San Diego has a long and filthy reputation. The blog will be used against these loving parents by evil people. Sorry, but the damage the haters can do wont be gone in a week.
I posted about this way back. This is exactly what these kind of people do. They call authorities on you, just because they want to ruin your life. Reason enough never to post personal info on a site. I had a mod here tell me in private i was being evasive because i didn't want to post personal info (my exact location) in a classified ad. Hopefully, this person can finally learn why and restore the ad.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50   #783
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I wish people here would allow others to have a differing opinion.

There has never been a thread with more people telling others not to express their opinions.

All the cruising countries relish their ability/right to FREE speech and free opinions. The USA even has it enshrined in its constitution.

But here you want to sweep all that aside?

If someone is critical of Rebel Heart, its crew, or methods this IS the right place to bring it up.

Unless we critically analyse each and every disaster we can never learn for our own cruising.

Finally, yes some of the comments in Eric and Charlottes blog are pretty low, disgusting and despicable. But the blog was there and open, so people have a right to free speech and free opinions, and I think Eric and Charlotte should leave those comments there, if in the least to be ale to understand what other people think.

Please stop telling people off for expressing a contrary opinion. You sound like soviet russia.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-04-2014, 02:56   #784
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

There has never been a thread with more people telling others not to express their opinions.

All the cruising countries relish their ability/right to FREE speech and free opinions. The USA even has it enshrined in its constitution.

If someone is critical of Rebel Heart, its crew, or methods this IS the right place to bring it up.

Unless we critically analyse each and every disaster we can never learn for our own cruising.

Finally, yes some of the comments in Eric and Charlottes blog are pretty low, disgusting and despicable. But the blog was there and open, so people have a right to free speech and free opinions, and I think Eric and Charlotte should leave those comments there, if in the least to be ale to understand what other people think.

Please stop telling people off for having a contrary opinion. You sound like soviet russia.

Mark
quite true,but on another thread ,thank you mark.

signed,yours K. MARX
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12   #785

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
You sound like soviet russia.
Mark
Russia does not need to be soviet...
Just - Russia
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12   #786
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
I wish people here would allow others to have a differing opinion.[...]
But the whole point is, that opinions, to be valid, need to be based on facts. Without facts they are mere speculations - right there with the most of the media crowd. And at the moment we know very little actual hard facts.

Having some aviation background, I am all for analysis and learning from events, but the time for that is later.

Now is the time to support Eric and his family. At least that is how I see it.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:22   #787
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
But the whole point is, that opinions, to be valid, need to be based on facts. Without facts they are mere speculations - right there with the most of the media crowd. And at the moment we know very little actual hard facts.

Having some aviation background, I am all for analysis and learning from events, but the time for that is later.

+100

and eric has this to say via twitter,for those that belive in free speach,before setting up a kangaroo court and trying him in his absence...........

Eric just sent a tweet from the ship: "Eric Kaufman @CaptEricKaufman 59m We're safe and headed back to San Diego. I'll talk to the press and answer questions after we catch our breath. Some interesting emails!".
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29   #788

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Not sure I agree with the "valid" part of your statement. The definition of "opinion" per wikipedia is..

Quote:
In general, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective, i.e. based on that which is less than absolutely certain, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. What distinguishes fact from opinion is that facts are verifiable, i.e. can be objectively proven to have occurred.
But that's just my opinion.

I think opinions, as defined above, have very much a place in the forum. And you can have a difference of opinion without being unsupportive of Eric and family.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00   #789
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Late to the party....

Saw the story on yesterday's prime news in a hotel on the way back home from a trip...

Happy Quote - Holy Crap... "I know that guy from CF!"

Good to see CFr's were "on it" early... Now 51 pages of catchup...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 08-04-2014, 04:02   #790
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Not sure I agree with the "valid" part of your statement. The definition of "opinion" per wikipedia is..

"In general, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters, commonly considered to be subjective, i.e. based on that which is less than absolutely certain, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. What distinguishes fact from opinion is that facts are verifiable, i.e. can be objectively proven to have occurred."

But that's just my opinion.
I believe the Wikipedia definition is missing a comma (corrected in red), but besides that, we seem to agree, that facts are beneficial to formulate an opinion. Whether there is a correlation between quantity and quality of facts and same aspects of opinions is probably a subject which merits its own thread, but likely on another forum :-)

Quote:
I think opinions, as defined above, have very much a place in the forum. And you can have a difference of opinion without being unsupportive of Eric and family.
Certainly, but let me politely suggest, that perhaps another thread, dedicated to analysis, might be a better place for opinions and maybe, in the interest of quality, it could be beneficial to wait a bit for more facts to come? Just my opinion..
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14   #791
cruiser

Quote:
Certainly, but let me politely suggest, that perhaps another thread, dedicated to analysis, might be a better place for opinions and maybe, in the interest of quality, it could be beneficial to wait a bit for more facts to come? Just my opinion..

Your doing exactly what Mark was just talking about. This is the thread! Don't try to decide how it goes. How about you politely not say anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20   #792

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:

Please stop telling people off for expressing a contrary opinion. You sound like soviet russia.

Mark
Old 08-04-2014, 04:47   #793

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Thanks for that one Salty. I just read another lengthy piece on how we are over-protecting our children and producing a bunch of narcissist, but that's another story. It's worth reading if you have the time. The Overprotected Kid - The Atlantic

One things that seems so apparent to me is how afraid we are of "criticism". God forbid anyone here on CF, or in the media, or the general public (thank you Internet forums everywhere) criticize someone. We need to not give others opinion so much power over our lives. Even if you stay home on the couch you will be criticized. Worry more about what other "do" not so much what they "say".

Nice read, thank you for posting it.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49   #794

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:

VEEEEEEERY TRUE
Old 08-04-2014, 04:56   #795

Boat: Hunter 27

Let's find a boat to replace Rebel Heart. We have the largest group of sailors and mechanics in the world here. There has to be a boat that can be found cheap and cleaned up. I have seen nice boats go for storage or cost of moving. With everybody out here we can do anything. This has been a moving thread. Now that the family is safe let's figure out how to make sure they continue their dream. We all have something we can contribute. Time, knowledge, equipment, labor, or money. It wouldn't be hard with all the knowledge here on C.F. Just an idea

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico