Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 10:42   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Finding straight ahead at the wheel

Biggest use I have for the marker ( I just use a zip tie) is to determine sail trim when under autopilot, without it I would have to disengage the autopilot to see if it had been holding rudder against the sails.

Turks head, I learned something, but zero chance I will remember it for long

While I am sure that the boat will translate to one side from prop walk in ahead, the rudder is so enormous in comparison that I can't measure it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:36   #47

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
I am impressed with the studiousness of the replies in this thread. Most of the salient points have been aptly covered, but I think the OP would benefit more from a detailed situational analysis than a rudder position indicator.

It is unfortunate, but most people do not realize that a single screw sailboat moving forward under power will turn more efficiently in one direction than another or that the effect is relational to the speed of the boat. Nor do they realize that reversing the screw will cause the stern to 'walk' in a specific direction until steerage speed is obtained.

There has been some discussion on how these phenomena are applied in a practical sense. For instance, one poster elaborated on the use of prop walk to Port in reverse gear on his boat when docking to Port. This is very useful information to someone that is trying to determine when, where and how the helm (as opposed to rudder) is centered when positioning their vessel in close quarters. In this case, knowing the position of the rudder is only the beginning of the equation.

As some of the more astute in this community have already pointed out, the solution is determined by the context of the problem, where boat speed, direction, current, wind, performance characteristics and physical limits to navigation are only some of the factors used to calculate a solution. More detailed examples are needed.

Perhaps someone might want to recommend some of their favorite boat handling 'how to' reading. It might be more instructive than saying it's something you learn to 'feel', despite the truth of the statement. Knowing is doing and doing it knowing, but a little instructional reading ahead of time really helps.
Old 30-01-2017, 12:34   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Seems to me that there are two different things being discussed here: being able to tell when the rudder is physically centered and knowing where to set the helm to make the boat go straight ahead.

The former is a simple matter of measuring and marking, the latter varies with the conditions at the time... wind, speed, sail plan (if sailing) throttle setting, boat loading/trim, hull cleanliness... lots of factors, so there is no one helm position that results in straight ahead motion.

Keeping the two activities separate in our discussion would reduce the confusion.

Jim
Old 31-01-2017, 20:11   #49

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Thanks everyone. I have enough to trial a couple of ideas. I like the string/ chain/ bungee on the wheel axle idea. I appreciate the comments of you all.
I too use the Davis rudder indicator, works like a charm
Capt n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, wheel