Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 15:10   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to nirvan
Eastern Caribbean compared to Thailand, Indonesia?

Eastern Caribbean compared to Thailand, Indonesia?
Thinking of crewing, chartering, or buying a sailboat to cruise. I am a professional sailor, taught sailing on San Francisco Bay for 20 years. I only chartered once out of the British Virgins, and I haven't been to the far east.
Thanks for your comments.
nirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 15:13   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
What do you want compared? Costs? Facilities? Food?
Old 25-11-2012, 15:54   #3

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Eastern Caribbean compared to Thailand, Indonesia?

I love south east asia (SEA) and havent travelled to the Caribean at this stage. The one thing I find intreguing with the Caribean is the ablitly to -at any given moment_ sail a hundred miles or so and be in a new country.

SEA is cheap compared to western nations. No idea compareed to the carib. Perhaps there needs to be a world wide Coke, bread, beer index!.

There are many stories of people getting to SEA and never going home. So many wondeful places to visit. There are often boats for sale in the region from people who have gone half way round then went home.
http://www.yachtbroker-charters.com/
http://phuket.boatshed.com/forsale.php
The prices are somewhat dearer than say FL USA. But it means you already have the boat in the region i guess.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 16:09   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I found South East Asia comparable in cost to the Eastern Caribbean.

You pay for water in the Caribbean. In Asia the water is undrinkable so you have to buy 20l bottles and have it delivered.

Food in gutters is cheap. But I don't eat out of the gutter.

Supermarkets with Indonesian food are cheap. With food we like to eat, expensive. Alcohol is hard to get in Muslim nations, Indonesia, Malaysia etc

Boat parts very difficult to get and duty payable after a long overseas search for parts. Where all the Caribbean has a Budget Marine or Island Wter World, or fly in from the USA in 24 hours.

Apart from all that I don't like Asian people, their filth as much as the Caribbean.
It's not racist. Just me.

If you have never been to Asia I recommend you go. A two week trip will implant on your mind if you love it or hate it. As OzSkipper says, you may never want to come back home. Same with the Caribbean.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 17:22   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to nirvan

I have a sense of what the Eastern Carib is about; I would like to hear experiences about SEA.

weather, perhaps similar?
wind, good sailing air?
crime against cruisers?
costs of cruising?
crowded anchorages,
friendly people,
disease prevention,
boat facilities,

whatever you've got to share is great.
Thanks all!
nirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 17:35   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvan View Post
I have a sense of what the Eastern Carib is about; I would like to hear experiences about SEA.

weather, perhaps similar?
wind, good sailing air?
crime against cruisers?
costs of cruising?
crowded anchorages,
friendly people,
disease prevention,
boat facilities,

whatever you've got to share is great.
Thanks all!
South East Asia is huge...

Ok wind. None in Malaysia nor Thailand. Malaysia is called the land above the wind because its too close to the equator.
Both countries are steaming hotter than hot but no trades to cool it.
Both Asia and Caribbean have been discovered.... And densly crowded in the touristy aras.
Both have crime.
All people in the world are friendly (except some countries you won't be visiting anyway)
Disease prevention? In Asia? Lololololololololololol

These questions really only you can answer as they are perceptions.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 18:25   #7

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Hiya Mark and Nirvan and Oz......

Indonesia is a last frontier...no problems, like being in outer space, you are totally on your own, away from the big population areas!
No crime, except for the odd free lance cops with automatic assault rifles!! I gave em nothing!!

Wonderful people. Most living at a subsistence level.

Just returned from another 4 months in Sumatra, Indonesia and had an absolutely amazing time. Very little wind, mostly motor sailing, although I managed 7 knots for 10 hours crossing the Malaccan Staits last week.

Thailand is a lot more civilized and organised than Malaysia or Indo, super busy with yachts around Phuket now, for another 4 months. Malaysia is very yacht friendly, easy visas as well. Great surf in Sumatra. Get all the water you want from the rain catchers.

Phuket Cruising Yacht Club | Facebook

Just hooked onto a new free mooring at Ao Chalong, 2 tonne concrete block with 50mm rope!!! Get that in the carib?

Also, swung a deal to leave the yacht at Krabi marina for 1200 aud for 5 months, how good is that?

Cheers from Keith.
Old 25-11-2012, 19:24   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post

Indonesia is a last frontier...no problems, like being in outer space, you are totally on your own, away from the big population areas!
No crime, except for the odd free lance cops with automatic assault rifles!! I gave em nothing!!

Just returned from another 4 months in Sumatra, Indonesia and had an absolutely amazing time. Very little wind, mostly motor sailing, although I managed 7 knots for 10 hours crossing the Malaccan Staits last week.

Thailand is a lot more civilized and organised than Malaysia or Indo, super busy with yachts around Phuket now, for another 4 months. Malaysia is very yacht friendly, easy visas as well. Great surf in Sumatra. Get all the water you want from the rain catchers.

Just hooked onto a new free mooring at Ao Chalong, 2 tonne concrete block with 50mm rope!!! Get that in the carib?

Also, swung a deal to leave the yacht at Krabi marina for 1200 aud for 5 months, how good is that?

Cheers from Keith.
Lovelly folks at the Crusing Yacht Club there. Its privately owned but its a nice little "cheers" bar feel they have got going on there. The food was good if not a little western priced.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:53   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post

Cheers from Keith.
Keith, when you coming? I'd love to see your boat. My house is maybe 10km from the marina and I'm down there often. Send me a PM if you have time.

Tags
Caribbean, Indonesia, Thailand