Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 04:22   #166
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Just cause someone takes trips longer than a few days on a large beach cat or day cat or fast tri but not really liveable trimaran doesn't make it a cruiser..just like putting a bed and a toilet in a van doesn't really make it an rv. The owners of the smaller tech 35's and edel cats nd even one mainecat I've spoken too didnt refer to their boats as cruisers they referred to them more as weekenders or good for a week or two. Though definitely consider the larger shuttleworths, and the bigger edel cat as faster cruisers,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Let's see, the Tek 35 has 4 double bunks, one a king size. Large galley, large head and a salon that will seat 7. Amazing how much space they have below. The owners of the Teks I know of have cruised them extensively. The Maine Cat 30 is also quite roomy, probably as much room as a 38' mono? I guess it all depends on how much of your shoreside life you have to bring along. If you put a mast and sails on a houseboat does that make it a sailboat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:51   #167

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Depends on the cruising, doesn't it? With a watermaker and plenty of solar, would be fine for most stuff. But for crossing oceans, you might want more fuel and water. At least, if you don't want to spend significant amounts of time wallowing in the doldrums you might...
You can have bottled water and a watermaker will solve the question.

Regarding fuel you can charge the batteries with an hydro-generator or solar and that boat only needs the engine for auxiliary maneuver. we are talking here about a boat that is faster than the wind and that will do a crossing in two times less than a heavy boat. It needs a lot less than half the tankage since for doing half the time the heavy boat has to motor a lot

Anyway, I am talking about a passagemaker for two. With more aboard it can be more complicated
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:58   #168
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's great, isn't it, the variety of boats people enjoy cruising in.

yes, exactly. We've been spending about half of each day for the past five months in the local marina working on our old boat. This has been the height of the yearly cruising here. We see cruisers in all sorts of things coming through for the first half heading south to the Lesser Antilles, and then from about March onward we see many of the same and a new set too of cruisers heading north. So we get a constant parade of cruising boats tying up all around us, and getting together at Bob's Bar in the evenings. Yesterday, five fresh (to us) boats cleared in. A monohull, a sportfisherman, two sailing catamarans and a big power cat. A few days ago a Corsair 31 left on it's way home to Canada with a singlehanded sailor. Day before yesterday a brand new 2014 Lagoon 45. Some stay a day, some a week, some a month or more, although not many buy the three month cruising permit for the Turks and Caicos.

Yesterday, the" Ninth Wave" cleared in with three people on board. This is a day charter boat out of Massachusetts. A big cat that's basically all bridge deck and hulls. Apparently, no bunks whatsoever. Yet here they are, thousands of miles south of New England. Are they cruising? Or are they "daysailors" by some people's definition because they don't have four double cabins" I have no clue what they're doing here, yet, but will likely find out today when we see them at the marina.

We love boats. All kinds of boats. We're down to five, ourselves, at the moment. And we're dreaming of a Corsair or Dragonfly tri when we're done with the Catalac.

We overheard a "friend" describe our boat as "ugly" a few weeks back. That kind of thing saddens me. Anyone who calls someone else's boat "ugly" deserves whatever rocks life throws at them.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:00   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I said I could not find money to have one But I am sorry about that...I would like to have one

That's a Danish brand with top quality everywhere including interior and North European prices They sell lots of boats for the price.

Anyway all good trimarans with folding arms are expensive even without a top quality interior. Here you have an older Corsair 37 without an interior engine for $250,000.

Compare the interior and the overall quality and you will see why the Dragonfly is way more expensive. The Dragonfly is a kind of luxury blinding fast small cruiser, while the Corsair is fast but has the interior of a cruiser racer, the ones more used to race than to cruise.

2011 Corsair 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2012 Dragonfly 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That Condor trimaran is a 26 year old boat. You only have to have 25 years and that Dragonfly 35 will be a lot cheaper
Old 07-05-2014, 05:11   #170
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I'm with SMJ on the Tek 35 - one of Shuttleworth's best designs that was refined and originally constructed with care and attention to weight and strength by a Canadian company. In fact, I can't think of another 35 foot performance boat of any configuration that would be better suited to cruising.

The point of this thread, however, was not to once again debate the relative merits of monos versus multis (and yes, the Tek 35, Dragonfly et al can certainly outperform comparably sized monohulls), but to see if any multihullers have gone back to monohulls. No doubt there have been for reasons of cost and/or changing priorities, but have any actually posted on this thread? Does the apparently small number say anything about the relative level of satisfaction of those who move from monohulls to multihulls? Interesting.....

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:12   #171

Quote:
Just cause someone takes trips longer than a few days on a large beach cat or day cat or fast tri but not really liveable trimaran doesn't make it a cruiser..just like putting a bed and a toilet in a van doesn't really make it an rv. The owners of the smaller tech 35's and edel cats nd even one mainecat I've spoken too didnt refer to their boats as cruisers they referred to them more as weekenders or good for a week or two. Though definitely consider the larger shuttleworths, and the bigger edel cat as faster cruisers,
I said that several had crossed the Atlantic to do the Atlantic circuit. A boat able to do that with a comfortable interior is a cruising boat. It does no even have to do that since most cruisers with any type of boat do much more coastal cruise with some small offshore passages. Many never crossed the Atlantic neither they intend to do it.

The Dragonfly 35 is not much used for racing. Dragonfly has other faster trimarans (smaller) that can do better. A cruiser/racer will buy a 32 (that is a good small coastal cruiser) over the 35. The 32 is faster and much better for racing.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:26   #172

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I wasnt saying you can't cruise on one, I know a guy cruising on A stilleto and others on smaller cats. But when owners of those boats and someone who has owned multiple open bridge deck cats up to 41' say they are more suited to day charters trips or weekending etc. I just passed it on. I do believe the first disparaging remarks were directed at cats calling them condomarans, and I certainly wouldn't refer to lagoons and FP and leopards or privileges as houseboats with masts.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:27   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's great, isn't it, the variety of boats people enjoy cruising in.
More recently a Corsair 31 has done it too and by the Northwest passage.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:32   #174
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

well if we're going to be slinging names back and forth, I don't think that multihullers really care that much what people who have limited themselves to "half a boat" have to say about our catamarans and tri's. There are some fundamental differences between boats that weigh more than the water they displace vs those that are lighter than the water they displace. If you have to pack lead into the bottom of your home to make it float right....well....you know what to expect if you leave the doors open at the wrong time. I'd say that most multihull owners have plenty of experience to back up their opinions on monohulls. Not so sure about the converse.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:32   #175
smj

I think it depends on how you define cruiser. I would agree that the open bridgedeck design wouldn't make the best cat to live aboard at the dock for extended periods. But is dockside living cruising? Not in my books.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:34   #176
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
well if we're going to be slinging names back and forth, I don't think that multihullers really care that much what people who have limited themselves to "half a boat" have to say about our catamarans and tri's. There are some fundamental differences between boats that weigh more than the water they displace vs those that are lighter than the water they displace. If you have to pack lead into the bottom of your home to make it float right....well....you know what to expect if you leave the doors open at the wrong time. I'd say that most multihull owners have plenty of experience to back up their opinions on monohulls. Not so sure about the converse.

Your last two sentences hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:37   #177
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Your last two sentences hit the nail on the head.

The ones that infer Multihullers need a raft coz they've no sense of balance..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:43   #178

Quote:
..I do believe the first disparaging remarks were directed at cats calling them condomarans, and I certainly wouldn't refer to lagoons and FP and leopards or privileges as houseboats with masts.
Certainly not but they are what are commonly called condo cats. When someone change to a multihull does that for two basic reasons: Because he wants to sail faster or because he wants a lot more space. What are called condo cats are the ones that correspond to the second intention. Sure they can sail reasonably well but they are slower than a performance cruiser and not faster than a modern mass market cruiser.

The overwhelming majority that change for a cat (I am talking about new boats) change to a condo cat. You have just to compare the number of sales of condo cats with the ones of true performance multihulls: A small percentage.

We can say that some cats are fast and have lots of interior space, but then we are talking about big cats that cost a huge amount of money. Some will say that cats allow for small draft but today there is a new generation of fast performance cruisers that can do that also, using a swing keel.

I believe that this (several days comparative test) says it all regarding the type of cats you mention. They invited Nigel Irens (a top cat designer) and a multihull pro sailor. I love their comments about these cats performance. I believe they put them on the condo category

Old 07-05-2014, 05:43   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The ones that infer Multihullers need a raft coz they've no sense of balance..??
OK... my clinic nurse is really pissed at me reading the cruisers forum on her computer...... I tend to splutter all over her monitor...
Sorry Sharon.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:51   #180

Quote:
We overheard a "friend" describe our boat as "ugly" a few weeks back. That kind of thing saddens me. Anyone who calls someone else's boat "ugly" deserves whatever rocks life throws at them.
That is weird!!! Are you saying that one is not entitled to find any boat ugly? You know, all boats are always someone else's boat

and I find this odd:

Quote:
well if we're going to be slinging names back and forth, I don't think that multihullers really care that much what people who have limited themselves to "half a boat" have to say about our catamarans and tri's. There are some fundamental differences between boats that weigh more than the water they displace vs those that are lighter than the water they displace. .
The displacement of a boat is equal to the weight of the water it displaces. Can you explain how can a boat weight less than the water he displaces? You got me confused here.

Tags
hull, multihull