Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 11:23   #1

Do-It-Yourself Boat Yard in Clear Lake / Kemah TX Area

I am looking at a project sailboat located in the Clear Lake area, near Houston. There is no way I can relocate this boat to my area soon, so I need some ideas about a storage boat yard in the area. I am not planning on doing any major work there, just securing and removing valuables (e.g., outboard). Any ideas would be appreciated.
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 18:57   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Re: Do-It-Yourself Boat Yard in Clear Lake / Kemah TX Area

Starship Marina comes to mind if all you want is mast up, dry storage of a trailer sailor. Clear Lake Marine Center allows more diy work but limits that to activity that doesn't produce dust or debris. They also have a lift so if your boat isn't trailerable this is your only ticket on the lake for diy. I think Marsh Marine does mast down storage but I'm not sure about that one and they probably aren't diy. The Wharf has boat and trailer storage but it would have to be mast down and probably no longer than around 25' loa. Enterprise Marina seems to have a large trailer storage yard in a lot just east of the marina and I've seen a few sailboats in there with mast up but they may be derelicts. And finally Seabrook Shipyard has a dry storage area but I'm not sure if their travel lift goes over there. It looks like mostly smaller stuff on trailers.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 19:02   #3

Thanks, Garrett - I used a fellow named Bob Marsh to move a boat several years ago - might be at Marsh Marine. Don't need to do any scraping, grinding, or painting. Mainly just securing for a month or two. The mast is already down on her.
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:53   #4

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

There is room for storage at Seabrook Marina. There is a lift that you use yourself to put your boat on your trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 15:19   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

What about Payco Marina in Galveston, its been a while since I was there, but there seemed to be several boats in the yard in various states of repair.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:26   #6

Boat: Endeavour 37

This is an old topic, but of interest to me as I'm looking at a project boat in Clearlake/Kemea too, an Endeavor 37.5 in need of some serious restoration, but cheap enough to make it worth it. I need to put her on the hard and de-step the mast and do mostly interior renovation, but portlights, hatches, and vents need to be replaced. Trim, through-bolted fittings, or fittings with hardware penetrating the deck, in the cockpit, and superstructure need to be removed, holes over drilled, filled with thickened epoxy, and redrilled to the proper size to prevent future leaks. These places will need minor sanding and touch up epoxy paint. I need an inexpensive place to do this. Any new suggestions?
Cajunwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 11:26   #7

I am also interested and am in the same situation. Wolf, did you get any help/answers?
dprovince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 13:03   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Clear Lake Marine is the only DIY place that I know of in this area. Sea Brook Shipyard is decent but must use their contractors. True North Marine has a haulout... not entirely sure about work process.

Tags
clear lake, kemah