Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2008, 22:18   #91

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The whale pooping got me thinking.

Do they fart??

Next chance you get pull a whale's finger

You are one sick puppy you know? hahahaha

Bernard Moitessier
Old 20-12-2008, 23:11   #92
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Do ya truely believe that? I know I dont,
All I'm saying is people have various opinions and as we are all nice people and respect others opinions, further, that if we all do what we intelligently think best then the combined action will probably be the best we could hope for

Re: dead coral. I remember going to the Great Barrier Reef in 1973 when I was a little kid. They were telling us then that the whole reef would be dead in 10 years time. Due, at that time, to the Crown of Thorns Starfish.

I also remember believing, as a small child, I would die in a nuclear holocost. Oh, and then by the next ice age...

So I don't expect everyone to believe the same, like lemmings, thus I allow others their own ideas.

Rupert Murdoch said something like being unsure if Global warming exists but "The planet deserves the benefit of the doubt."

My own thing on polution is a bit of poop wont hurt but 80 litres of blue chemical treated effluent dumped a few miles offshore might well hurt!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-12-2008, 02:28   #93
Armchair Bucketeer

Can't believe I missed this thread.........

I always find it interesting what other folk do and their reasoning....but perhaps a little bit too much info on this thread

Over here no compulsory holding tank / pump out rules, including within the Marinas. and for me (messing around in the sea / with boats since I was a kid) having a sh#t onboard and then pumping out is quite normal.

But we do bear it in mind when going swimming in a crowded anchorage .....and over here only an idiot would swim in a Marina for fun, holding tank rule or not. But I appreciate that the definition of idiot varies amongst cultures.

But having a sh#t whilst swimming in the sea is a "Gross out" for freinds that folk grow out of. Mainly

I really don't see it as an "enviromental crime" given the small scale involved. Simply a hazard to bear in mind when swimming.

A Large population on the other hand living in their own waste onshore is a very different beast, and so would pumping the untreated poop of a million people straight into a bay. But then again even if treated I would not be swimming (or even anchoring!) at the end of a Sewage outfall!

Of course when visiting abroad I aim to follow local laws. or local customs
Old 21-12-2008, 03:16   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
The care we show to our planet is lacking, indeed
But it’s the intolerance of each others opinions, that really saddens me!
Old 21-12-2008, 04:19   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
The care we show to our planet is lacking, indeed
But it’s the intolerance of each others opinions, that really saddens me!
James: Should the CruisersForum tolerate intolerance?

An erroneous assumption could be made that, if a little of something is good, a lot must be better. Not so! Overdoses of essential medication can be toxic.
Tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards, or one’s opinions on political or public policy etc. Instead, tolerance should be a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
An interesting short piece on "Tolerance":The Intolerance of Tolerance ~ by Gregory Koukl
Stand to Reason: The Intolerance of Tolerance

“... Tolerance of persons must also be distinguished from tolerance of ideas. Tolerance of persons requires that each person's views get a courteous hearing, not that all views have equal worth, merit, or truth. The view that no person's ideas are any better or truer than another's is irrational and absurd. To argue that some views are false, immoral, or just plain silly does not violate any meaningful standard of tolerance ...”

Another (longer & less comprehensible) view on "Tolerance":
Repressive Tolerance ~ by Herbert Marcuse
Repressive Tolerance, by Herbert Marcuse (1965)

Old 21-12-2008, 04:38   #96
Armchair Bucketeer

Yeah. All intolerant people should be shot

One thing that has not been raised in this thread is........obesity. The less you put in - the less impact on the environment?
Old 21-12-2008, 04:40   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
"Tolerance of persons requires that each person's views get a courteous hearing"

I shutter at how quickly we get so nasty to each other.

Should we tolerate it on this forum? Yes

Can we learn from it? Yes
Old 21-12-2008, 05:12   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The CruisersForum does NOT tolerate personal intolerance nor nastiness.

Excerpted from CF Rules: http://www.cruisersforum.com/?page=rules

Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.

* Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.

* We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Old 21-12-2008, 06:22   #99

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Obviously there's a difference between discharging raw sewage in the middle of the Pacific vs Chesapeake Bay. But even so, why do it, when the technology to treat raw sewage before discharge is readily available and relatively inexpensive?

Excess nitrates could have a harmful long-term effect on marine ecosystems. We just don't know, so why risk it?
Old 21-12-2008, 06:39   #100

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Mankind could poison and pollute itself to extinction and a few hundred years later, (just moments in the life of the planet) it would be like we were never even here. Man is nothing but a temporary nuisance to this planet.

You think the water in the keys is nasty because of some boats in the harbor?

If you REALLY want to make a difference, combat atrocities like this or the mega-corps doing the real damage and don't let them convince you that you are the problem.
Ok Aqua, heres the real deal. I totally agree that " Mankind could poison and pollute itself to extinction", and although I believe we have the power to stop this, I also believe we are still headed that way. What you apparently don't take into consideration is this; it has taken millions and millions of years (I'm truly sorry if you believe in the ark) to develop this incredible flora and fauna here on earth, and I DON'T believe it was put here just for us to enjoy. You have NO IDEA how the earth would respond to the treatment you describe, as it is far too complicated for us to currently understand.

As for the Keys and boats in the harbor, please read my original post a little slower. I wrote "in the Keys I have witnessed the killing of large areas of the barrier reef in less than 20 years. How can we be so blind? This has nothing to do with holding tanks, but would it kill these people to hold their discharge until they are out at sea? "

I'm sure we all understand that the damage cruisers create is minimal, compared to the massive damage caused by "spills", runoff and a million other sources. My stance has always been this; I'd rather not have the boats around me at anchor pooping into the harbor. I think thats pretty damn simple.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 21-12-2008, 06:52   #101

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I think those that have chosen the irresponsible route when it comes to handling sewage on board their boats have made themselves known and their beliefs and practices are not going to chance. The rest of us will do the right thing ourselves but we are not going to change them. we can only hope we don't wind up in the same harbor they frequent. The arguments can go on but won't change anything in my opinion. A wise sage here on the board said of such arguments, "never get into a wrestling match with a pig. In the end you just get dirty and the pig likes it."

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 21-12-2008, 07:00   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
"never get into a wrestling match with a pig. In the end you just get dirty and the pig likes it."
Chuck, wrestling a pig shows a COMPLETE lack of respect for all life on the planet! Just kidding Even though all the trees here are currently covered in ice, I'm going out to hug one right now. Peace out, Chris

Old 21-12-2008, 08:48   #103

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Christian, I am truly sorry that you DON'T believe in the Ark.

Chuck, .... are you calling me a pig?

and for both of you, it might surprise you that I have never pumped sewage into the water. This is my first boat with a pumpable head. My slip is a few steps away from a very nice and little used bathhouse. I think is gross to take a crap on the boat at all and will be holding out as long as possible.
Old 21-12-2008, 09:04   #104

Aqua, what I really meant by saying "(I'm truly sorry if you believe in the ark)" is "I'm truly sorry if what I write here offends your beliefs". I totally respect everyones right to practice his/her religion. As far as hell goes, I'm a big boy, respect MY beliefs and I'll take my chances.

As for your not pumping sewage into the marina, thank you. Should you ever leave your slip for more than eight hours or so, I think you'll find that using the head isnt all THAT bad. Thanks again, Chris

Old 21-12-2008, 09:10   #105

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Ironically, I am a Christian, Christian. Please don't pity me for my beliefs, I am going to Heaven.
Closed Thread